Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > LATAM | LATAM Pass
Reload this Page >

LAX-SCL nonstop gone for 2014/2015 high season?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2014, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, VS Gold

LA 602 and 603 seem to have disappeared from the timetable. Has anyone seen any announcements about the fate of this convenient routing?
Old Mar 16, 2014, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
It comes and goes over the years. This early in the year it is too soon to know for the 2014/2015 season. I don't believe it was loaded this early last year.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 1:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
With reciprocity fees being relaxed... one would think with the right marketing LA should make it work well.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 7:13 pm

The Visa waiver program for Chileans should have also made that flight work! Silly LAN just wants to see everyone change planes in LIM :@
Old Mar 22, 2014, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mavalenzu
The Visa waiver program for Chileans should have also made that flight work! Silly LAN just wants to see everyone change planes in LIM :@
LAN has somewhat of an aircraft shortage with the 787 delays. I'm sure they'd prefer dealing with fewer of us in LIM. Besides, 601/600 typically has the pax staying onboard.

Again, the flight has been seasonal and irregular for years, and isn't always loaded this early in the year.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 12:04 pm

Programs: LATAM PASS Black Signature, AA EXP 3MM, BA Blue
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
LAN has somewhat of an aircraft shortage with the 787 delays. I'm sure they'd prefer dealing with fewer of us in LIM. Besides, 601/600 typically has the pax staying onboard.

Again, the flight has been seasonal and irregular for years, and isn't always loaded this early in the year.
LA602/LA603 won't be loaded until August. LAN does not have a shortage of wide-body a/c because of the 787 delays. LATAM is in the process of rationalizing the long-haul network in order to increase profitability, i.e. the LIM-SFO route ends next week. LAN retired one older 767 last month and plans to retire another 767 in the near-term. However, LAN recently mentioned that it will increase capacity between SCL and the U.S. according to demand. LAN will receive 5 787-8s this year and will increase frequency and capacity on the SCL-MIA route up to 18x weekly. LAN will also add additional non-stop flights between SCL and JFK later this year and plans to deploy the 787-9 on the SCL-JFK route next year. Regarding LIM, LAN Perú just loaded new frequencies to CUN, IGU, PUJ, and SCL. LIM-CUN increases to 10x weekly (A320), LIM-IGU increases to a daily service (A319), LIM-PUJ increases to 8x weekly (A320), and LA/LP will operate the LIM-SCL route up to 9x daily...
Old Mar 23, 2014, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SCL767
LA602/LA603 won't be loaded until August. LAN does not have a shortage of wide-body a/c because of the 787 delays. LATAM is in the process of rationalizing the long-haul network in order to increase profitability, i.e. the LIM-SFO route ends next week.
And here's part of the issue. LIM/SFO was not a money loser. But the plane can make more money (i.e., increase profitability) elsewhere. The net result is they don't, overall, make as much as they would with the additional route.

The pains of TAM absorption are going to be felt for some time longer. I recall seeing LAN interiors on "TAM" planes (per reports), and LATAM is selling the TAM 777s (with leaseback) so they can presumably free up cash and easily dump them when the time comes.

In any event, I hope LAX/SCL becomes a more regular and predictable route in the future. It would also take some sting (for me) out of the SFO suspension.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 5:47 pm

Programs: LATAM PASS Black Signature, AA EXP 3MM, BA Blue
And here's part of the issue. LIM/SFO was not a money loser. But the plane can make more money (i.e., increase profitability) elsewhere. The net result is they don't, overall, make as much as they would with the additional route.
The GRU-LIM-SFO route preformed well until the Brazilian economy started to decline. At one point LAN operated into SFO 5x weekly. However, LAN does not "hold onto" marginal long-haul routes. Instead LAN decided to add an additional frequency on the LIM-LAX route; thus offering two daily non-stop flights between LIM and LAX. LAN offers more connectivity via LAX with its partners compared to SFO, i.e. AA, AS, CX, JL, KE, etc. LAN is also considering launching BOG-LAX as the company seeks to increase international operations via BOG.
The pains of TAM absorption are going to be felt for some time longer. I recall seeing LAN interiors on "TAM" planes (per reports), and LATAM is selling the TAM 777s (with leaseback) so they can presumably free up cash and easily dump them when the time comes.

In any event, I hope LAX/SCL becomes a more regular and predictable route in the future. It would also take some sting (for me) out of the SFO suspension.
LAN transferred 6 brand new 767s over to TAM last year in order to expedite the withdrawal of TAM's A332s. The sale-leaseback deal regarding TAM's 77Ws enhances LATAM's balance sheet (decreasing LATAM's exposure to the devaluation of the Brazilian real) and provides LATAM significant flexibility in moving forward with its fleet renewal plans. TAM will begin to incorporate the A350-900s into its fleet next year. Next year LAN will receive 7 787s, including several 787-9s and may transfer more 767s over to TAM...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.