Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > LATAM | LATAM Pass
Reload this Page >

Book one way international with LATAM miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2022, 9:08 am
Original Poster

It was announced on the LATAM Pass program changes in December that one way reward tickets will be available to book (before was only rt trips, except for domestic). Yet, on the website you cannot book. Anybody has any experience with this?
Old Jan 15, 2022, 3:08 pm

Programs: LA Platinum
Ive always been able to book one-way tickets, in fact I dont think I ever booked round-trips with miles, usually works if there isnt another issue in the Brazilian site.
nutsbr likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 6:18 am

Programs: LATAMPASS Silver, SkyMiles Silver Medallion
I was told that those changes will be effective once you can redeem tickets with miles using Branded Fares (Basic, Light, Plus, Top)

Other changes announced like Basic fares not accruing Qualifiable Miles are already in place
Old Jan 17, 2022, 3:41 pm
Ambassador, LATAM

Programs: LATAM, Lifemiles
Originally Posted by Insano41m
Ive always been able to book one-way tickets, in fact I dont think I ever booked round-trips with miles, usually works if there isnt another issue in the Brazilian site.
The Brazilian program is with points, not miles -- maybe it's possible then? As far as I know, only domestic tickets can be redeemed with miles, international trips must have at least 2 segments.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 3:54 pm

Could the OP show us what it says when you try to book it? Ive never heard of this rule and I dont see it posted anywhere, Ive always thought you could.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 5:28 am

Programs: QF, LM
I have been a Latam frequent flyer for years, but based in Colombia. For commercial reasons Colombia was a great base in this as the Latam requirements for status levels were always much reduced. But in my experience I also could never book a redemption as a one way. Am very interested if that has changed...
Old Jan 18, 2022, 6:07 am
Original Poster

Could the OP show us what it says when you try to book it? Ive never heard of this rule and I dont see it posted anywhere, Ive always thought you could.
I was using the Chile version of the page.

Today customer support confirmed that this is being rolled out on different countries, CHile not yet.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 7:05 am
Ambassador, LATAM

Checking the terms and conditions (they recently mentioned that they were updated, but they didn't point out what the differences were...)

"old terms and conditions":
9.1.12 Los premios consistentes en boletos areos internacionales se otorgan "ida y vuelta". No se canjean premios "oneway" en rutas internacionales ni se permitir el embarque del socio en el tramo correspondiente al vuelo de regreso si no ha volado el tramo correspondiente al vuelo de ida. Si el socio usa el premio solo en el tramo de ida no se le devolver el saldo de Millas LATAM Pass por el tramo de regreso no utilizado. La nica excepcin a lo anterior es para el caso de los premios consistentes en boletos areos nacionales que s se pueden otorgar "oneway"
"new terms and conditions"
9.1.10 Tanto en rutas internacionales como nacionales se pueden canjear premios "solo ida" e ida y vuelta. Si el socio usa el premio solo en el tramo de ida la devolucin del tramo de regreso no utilizado estar sujeto a las condiciones de la tarifa adquirida y la legislacin vigente.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 9:11 am

Oh I never knew that, good that its possible now, in Brazil it was always possible I think.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 8:36 pm
Ambassador, LATAM

Oh I never knew that, good that its possible now, in Brazil it was always possible I think.
It's not possible in Peru yet either. Not sure which country (miles currency) is going by the updated terms.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 8:28 am
Ambassador, LATAM

It seems that this is now live on the Peru site (redemptions for international one-way and also for light / plus etc fare classes).
It only allows for the fare portion to be paid for with miles, so the taxes portion is I believe now higher (sales tax is separate).
The conversion doesn't look very good but I've only tried with a few sample dates...
Old Feb 22, 2022, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by andreadbc
It seems that this is now live on the Peru site (redemptions for international one-way and also for light / plus etc fare classes).
It only allows for the fare portion to be paid for with miles, so the taxes portion is I believe now higher (sales tax is separate).
The conversion doesn't look very good but I've only tried with a few sample dates...
The miles has always covered only the fare portion. But note there is now a surcharge of up to 42 USD if you book with less than 4 months of anticipation (that may be taxable in your case?)

And, yes, the rates are awful. I remember in 2020 I redeemed a SCL-MIA ticket for 27.000 miles. I hope they will do a sale with lower rates for the next cyber day.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 7:27 pm
Ambassador, LATAM

Originally Posted by Semphyra
The miles has always covered only the fare portion. But note there is now a surcharge of up to 42 USD if you book with less than 4 months of anticipation (that may be taxable in your case?)
Tickets that originate in Peru have sales tax (18%) on top of the fare (the redemption fee is a separate situation that was implemented in 2020) -- until this latest change, for instance for a domestic ticket you'd only pay airport fee and the rest was priced in miles, now only the equivalent fare is priced in miles and you pay in $ for the sales tax + the airport fee.

For example : pricing a sample LIM-CUZ-LIM in June (no redemption fee for domestic over 90 days from travel):
Fare $74 + sales tax 18% is $13.32 + airport fee $15.78 = $103.10)
same flights for booking with miles will say: 5860 miles + sales tax $13.32 + airport fee $15.78 "equivalent to $103.10" -- the fare portion only ($74) is being covered by the 5860 miles (1.26 cents/mile).
Before this latest change you could get an award ticket paying in miles + only the $15.78 airport fee.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by andreadbc
Tickets that originate in Peru have sales tax (18%) on top of the fare (the redemption fee is a separate situation that was implemented in 2020) -- until this latest change, for instance for a domestic ticket you'd only pay airport fee and the rest was priced in miles, now only the equivalent fare is priced in miles and you pay in $ for the sales tax + the airport fee.

For example : pricing a sample LIM-CUZ-LIM in June (no redemption fee for domestic over 90 days from travel):
Fare $74 + sales tax 18% is $13.32 + airport fee $15.78 = $103.10)
same flights for booking with miles will say: 5860 miles + sales tax $13.32 + airport fee $15.78 "equivalent to $103.10" -- the fare portion only ($74) is being covered by the 5860 miles (1.26 cents/mile).
Before this latest change you could get an award ticket paying in miles + only the $15.78 airport fee.
I understand. That's too bad

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.