Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > LATAM | LATAM Pass
Reload this Page >

LATAM Covid-19 Chargebacks and Cashback Experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2020, 11:57 pm
Original Poster

Just wondering if anyone has had a successful chargeback against LATAM?

Wondering how happy a card company would be about their refund to a bank account with nank transfer, since they'd have no way of knowing if it's actually happened or not.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 8:52 pm

Programs: UA Gold,Delta Gold Bonvoy Titanium Elite, HH Diamond , AA Platinum, EENational, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Dan1113
Just wondering if anyone has had a successful chargeback against LATAM?

Wondering how happy a card company would be about their refund to a bank account with nank transfer, since they'd have no way of knowing if it's actually happened or not.
I did try a chargeback but my bank transfer actually went through first so I cancelled the chargeback with AMEX. I was however successful with an Avianca chargeback
Old Jul 25, 2020, 11:04 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA
I did, on my US Bank credit card. Chargeback was started late April and provisional credit was made permanent early July --around 65 days. LATAM had been giving me the run around for a month or so, with refund claims denied "in error" only to have a new claim created immediately afterwards to reset the clock.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 4:20 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, BW Diamond Select
It took about 2 weeks after I initiated the cash back option to get the bank transfer.

I am really happy and will definitely book with LATAM once I feel ready to fly again.
Brandinho1 likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2020, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TTC900Rocket
It took about 2 weeks after I initiated the cash back option to get the bank transfer.

I am really happy and will definitely book with LATAM once I feel ready to fly again.
​​​​Many many weeks on, still no sign from any of mine!
Old Aug 16, 2020, 12:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I think that there is confusion here between passengers who have sought a refund (cash back) from LATAM and those who have not been able to get a refund in a timely manner and have initiated a chargeback with their credit card issuer (bank).
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2020, 4:50 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Flying Blue, Marriott Rewards
agreed!
Old Aug 20, 2020, 9:16 pm

I had a LAX<> SCL roundtrip booked, and got a schedule change announcement from LATAM a few weeks ago. Between the new schedule, and current travel restrictions, I called for a refund.

I was told the standard procedure is they issue a voucher, then, once issued, I'd get an email with instructions to convert the voucher to a cash refund.

On the phone, he said "one to two weeks" for the voucher to issued. I received mine today, six days later - 3 vouchers (1 ticket, 2 for seat upgrades)

I clicked through to follow the steps for converting the voucher to cash. They wanted a checking account and routing number, rather than a typical credit card refund.

I put all three in for a cash refund, got a warning saying they may take "longer than usual", and then an email a few hours later saying they had been "accepted". I'll update back here if/when the money lands in my account.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 6:51 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Flying Blue, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by Dan1113
​​​​Many many weeks on, still no sign from any of mine!
LATAM customer service seems to be in a total mess. I've had 2 emails confirming my Sept 17th & October 3rd flights are cancelled, but when I tried to reschedule for April & May I have to call. Agent tells me that I've cancelled my flight and not refundable.

What a joke. I send customer service the emailed notice of confirmation and the agent reples the system still flights are happening and asks me if I want to cancel my flights..........
Old Aug 22, 2020, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

I filed chargebacks for 2 of my 3 LATAM Peru flights the other day, however I am not hopeful it will be approved. The refund confirmation emails obviously say the money will be transferred to my bank account. My credit card has no way of knowing whether the money is there or not and the chargeback form specifically says "money is due back onto the card". So I think it will get rejected, but we shall see I guess.

It was with a Revolut card.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 10:50 pm

Following up with a quick update to my earlier post.

I had an LAX<>SCL RT booked for travel starting on September 5th.

On August 5th, I got an email saying one of the flights had cancelled.

On August 12th, I contacted LATAM by phone for a refund. Was told to start process online for a travel voucher, then, once that was issued, there would be a second step to receive the voucher as a refund.

On August 20th, I received the travel vocher, and started the process to get a refund. Oddly, the online refund tool only wanted to route it as a direct deposit to my checking account - not a refund to the orginal payment card. Went ahead anyway.

Today, on September 3rd, the refund landed in my account.
Brandinho1 likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 1:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
LATAM customer service seems to be in a total mess. I've had 2 emails confirming my Sept 17th & October 3rd flights are cancelled, but when I tried to reschedule for April & May I have to call. Agent tells me that I've cancelled my flight and not refundable.

What a joke. I send customer service the emailed notice of confirmation and the agent reples the system still flights are happening and asks me if I want to cancel my flights..........
It is not a mess, it is purely intentional. Call center agents are trained to generate as much as fresh cash as possible.
They want to you to hand over fresh cash to book new flights in 2021 now.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 4:38 am
Original Poster

Interesting that refunds to US accounts are so quick. I'm two months and counting since the refund was initiated!
Old Sep 4, 2020, 5:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The airline could have problems with USA DOT if they don't issue refunds promptly for cancelled flights.
Old Sep 7, 2020, 8:18 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, BW Diamond Select
I got my refund in short order, but my friend who requested it several hours later than I did, is still waiting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.