Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > LATAM | LATAM Pass
Reload this Page >

Status with BA, want to switch mile collection to LATAM

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2019, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

I have elite status with BA, gifted to me by a BA Gold for Life, but basic with LATAM. I fly LATAM six returns a year, long haul, and am wanting to consider switching my mileage collection to LATAM. I live in Sao Paulo.I think it will be easier to reach LATAM Black than it would be for me to reach BA Gold, on my own.

Can I start asking LATAM to collect my miles with my LATAM Fidelidade number and still access lounge and extra baggage benefits from having BA Silver?
Old Jun 28, 2019, 12:29 pm

Programs: BA Silver
You can access the lounge by flashing your card, but you will not be able to get additional baggage allowance unless your BA silver number is on the booking for the benefit to kick in.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 10:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LATAM Black
Originally Posted by mzb00
but you will not be able to get additional baggage allowance unless your BA silver number is on the booking for the benefit to kick in.
That's not quite true. You CAN get additional baggage allowance when you fly on LATAM if you have Sapphire or Emerald status with another OW airline and don't want to credit the flight to that very airline. The catch is - not all personnel at check-in desk knows the rules and they will try to charge you for the extra luggage (while Sapphire or Emerald get it free of charge). In this case just ask for a supervisor or another agent. What they do is the following - if you have a proper status (i.e. Sapphire/Emerald) with another OW airline, but you credit this flight to LATAM, then they simply put your OW status FF number in the system just for the luggage part (to make it through), while actually your ticket would still be credited to LATAM. Have done it several times (in SCL).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.