Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > LATAM | LATAM Pass
Reload this Page >

Premium Economy ticket, all economy seatmap at checkin..?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2019, 5:16 pm
dnw
Original Poster

I have three PE tickets for SCL-GRU on Sat for which we had row 1 per-assigned in the 3 row 2x2 PE cabin with middle seat blocked. Just done online checkin at T-48 and being shown an all economy domestic seatmap with 3x3 from row 1 all the way back and been assigned row 37!! Boarding pass still says Premium Economy but 37F. Clearly wrong seatmap has been loaded for checkin.

LATAM phone support utterly useless. First said to call BA (who issued ticket)- when I pointed out that it was their seatmap via their website the answer was to ask at the airport...

Anyone seen this before? Will it fix itself between now and departure?

thanks
Old Mar 1, 2019, 10:57 am

Programs: LAN COMODORO
You have been change into a plane with no Y+. The ticket will say Y+ since is the fare that you pay. But service will be standar economy (and those seat are not good at all).

You may call the call center, they can put you into another fly with premium economy or even if you complain a lot, you can get seats into a business cabin (i have done booth before).

Also if there are not any premium cabins for the dates you wanna fly (they could offer biz for example on Sunday, but you will have to pay for the extra stay) you can just take the fly on economy and get some money back or a travel voucher. The last trip that i did that was from Lima to Scl, i could choose 125 USD cash or 250 voucher
Old Mar 1, 2019, 2:34 pm
dnw
Original Poster

Thanks. Have conversed with LATAM on Twitter and after a few nonsense replies (PE cabin with A/B/C layout...) they’ve admitted the aircraft change and downgrade and said $100 in cash or $200 travel voucher will be offered at the airport.

I’m not interested in small change comp and want the class of service I booked or better. They have refused a move onto the flight before (1640) as it is Premium Business not PE. After your reply I have pushed again saying if a downgrade without prior warning is acceptable then an upgrade when space is avaialable should be equally...

They have offered the 1505 with PE but that is 3 hours adjustment to my schedule vs 1hr 20 for the next flight.

Lets see. Thanks.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 3:35 pm

Programs: LATAMPASS Silver, SkyMiles Silver Medallion
The rebooking to a J Cabin is at the agent discretion

You can check LATAM policy at https://www.latamtrade.com/en_us/procom/pax_protection
Old Mar 1, 2019, 3:57 pm

Programs: QF WP
Personally i’d rather have a Y seat on 78/76 than a Y+ seat on A320. YMMV but i’d personally try and leverage a partial refund rather than chasing either a time change or an upgrade to J (which I can’t see happening but I suppose you never know)
Old Mar 1, 2019, 7:35 pm
dnw
Original Poster

Three J seats secured on the 788. Didn’t waste time with telesales, instead was driving past SCL on way back from a day trip to Valparaíso so stopped by the ticket desk at the premium check in area.
TravelLawyer and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 3:20 am

Programs: LAN COMODORO
That is great news. As i told you could be rebooked into another PE flight or go full J. The problem is that now there are such a few choices for premium cabins into GRU that sometimes just wont work into your schedule.

Last year i had a SCL LIM GRU RT ticket and i just was not able to get any flight from LIM to SCL that could match the dates and time that i need it to be back. So they just put me into row 2 (i dont like row one), block the middle seat and give me 250 usd in a voucher.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 4:50 am
dnw
Original Poster

Yes thanks for your advice PABLOCO. I didn’t have to push too hard as that flight had a half empty J cabin. In any case the fare difference one way between PE and J was not significant, about the same as the compensation offer so I was well armed with arguments but didn’t need them...

What I still don’t understand is how an A320
can lose a PE cabin?? Isn’t it just a curtain and blocked middle seats and meal? not that I’m complaining at the overall outcome of course..
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 5:18 am

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by dnw
Yes thanks for your advice PABLOCO. I didn’t have to push too hard as that flight had a half empty J cabin. In any case the fare difference one way between PE and J was not significant, about the same as the compensation offer so I was well armed with arguments but didn’t need them...

What I still don’t understand is how an A320
can lose a PE cabin?? Isn’t it just a curtain and blocked middle seats and meal? not that I’m complaining at the overall outcome of course..
yes it is. Maybe the curtain can move forwards as well as backwards if they need the loads? Otherwise no idea
Old Mar 2, 2019, 7:38 am

Programs: LH FTL, LATAM Platinum, KL Silver, UA Premier Silver
The thing is that LA‘s newest A320s as well as all A321s, which are deployed on domestic or shorter haul international flights, do not even have the possibility of a Y+ cabin, but have a (basically non-changeable) Y-only configuration.

For some reason (maintenance?), there is no aircraft with a Y+ cabin available for the day of your flight or may be they only had a few reservations for up-front, but an overbooking situation in the back, and it was more convenient (economical) for LA to pay compensation to the few Y+ passengers, but to be able to accommodate all flyers. For sure, you could think of more possible explanations.

As a standard, LA NEVER adjusts the size of the Y+ cabin, even if technically that would be doable. Thus, Y+ seats a maximum of 12 on all routes and, even with the usual elite upgrades, there is often a couple of seats free on the flights that I commonly take (SCL to LIM, GRU, EZE or LIM to BOG, UIO or vice versa), hence the actual need for a larger Y+ cabin does not seem to be there or other factors (such as quicker turnarounds) are more important to LA.

I am quite curious to see, what the future holds for Y+ with LA. Will they introduce a proper cabin at some point (as JJ used to have on their single-aisles)? I kind of doubt it given the current LCC-like moves.

Anyway, I quite like the product. Yeah, the seats are the same, and pitch and width only a little more generous, but privacy and service wise Y+ with LA is a far cry from regular Y.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 1:33 pm
dnw
Original Poster

So the earlier flight in proper J class on a LAN 787 was extremely pleasant... until we got close to GRU and a tropical storm was passing over and after holding for 20 mins diverted to Rio where we took on fuel, waited an hour and then made the hop back, arriving later than the downgraded flight we were orginally on and messing up our evening plans.

Oh well, I’m getting too old to hit the nightlife in Sao Paulo anyway
Old Dec 19, 2019, 1:50 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Question ? Again PE on narrowbody SCL - GIG ? Can they be trusted ?

Originally Posted by dnw
What I still don’t understand is how an A320can lose a PE cabin??
This I can not understand either. A curtain is not mandatory as with all South American airlines I never saw the bathroom access enforced (except with excellent GOL)

Originally Posted by SenSCL
The thing is that LA‘s newest A320s as well as all A321s, which are deployed on domestic or shorter haul international flights, do not even have the possibility of a Y+ cabin, but have a (basically non-changeable) Y-only configuration.
What has to be changed apart the curtain !

I remember the TAM A320 planes, which always had a nice PE, but at least on the GIG to SCL PE disappeared sometime in 2017 or 2018.

Now I just saw that LA is selling PE again on all its SCL - GIG direct narrowbody flights. Seats can be chosen in the first three rows 2+2 configuration with blocked middle seat. ? Shall I trust them and do they actually really offer again this service ? Makes no sense to pay the extra money to be downgraded after or ending in row 37 like the OP.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 7:41 am

Programs: LATAM Black
Premium Economy is coming back:
https://www.latam.com/es_cl/prensa/c...Latinoamerica/
Also on domestic flights!
behuman likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by cphflyer_EB
Premium Economy is coming back:
https://www.latam.com/es_cl/prensa/c...Latinoamerica/
Also on domestic flights!
That is excellent news.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 7:10 pm

Programs: UA Gold,Delta Gold Bonvoy Titanium Elite, HH Diamond , AA Platinum, EENational, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by behuman
This I can not understand either. A curtain is not mandatory as with all South American airlines I never saw the bathroom access enforced (except with excellent GOL)

What has to be changed apart the curtain !

I remember the TAM A320 planes, which always had a nice PE, but at least on the GIG to SCL PE disappeared sometime in 2017 or 2018.

Now I just saw that LA is selling PE again on all its SCL - GIG direct narrowbody flights. Seats can be chosen in the first three rows 2+2 configuration with blocked middle seat. ? Shall I trust them and do they actually really offer again this service ? Makes no sense to pay the extra money to be downgraded after or ending in row 37 like the OP.
its what euro business should be called.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.