Community
Wiki Posts
Search

early bag drop- GRU

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2017, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

early bag drop- GRU

Apologies if this has been answered before, but I did not find an earlier thread.
I will be arriving into GRU early morning (05:55 by the BA flight from London). I was planning on buying a separate LATAM ticket from GRU to POA that departs GRU at 16:25. However, I was worried if there was no early bad drop off at GRU for LATAM, I think at the terminal 2 check in.
I am Oneworld Emerald/BA Gold Exec club if that helps.
Many thanks for any replies.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 1:13 pm

Programs: DL Gold / Accor Gold
Wait, you arrive at 05:55 and take another flight at 16:25? Is this correct? 10 hours between two flights? If BA leave your bag behind, it's possible you receive on time. :-)

The problem there is the time, not the bags. With the new terminal these things getting better but between 05:30 ~ 07:00 they have a lot of flights arriving and the immigration and customs are lazy. But you don't need more than 3 hours, even to change the terminal (around 15~20 minutes walking).

Best.

Last edited by pmichelazzo; Aug 9, 2017 at 1:14 pm Reason: correcting typo
Old Aug 9, 2017, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Thanks pmichelazzo. Yes, I was a bit worried about the time taken to go through immigration at GRU. But actually, I need to catch the flight at 16:45 from GRU to POA. So if I can check in my luggage early at GRU at the LATAM desk, I think I can go over to the LATAM lounge at terminal 3 and wait there (for hours) for my flight to POA. But this is only possible there is early bag drop off at GRU.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA*S, AA Plat, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist
The bag drop for domestic flights can be done anytime in the day of departure so I think you'll be okay.

however don't count on being able to access the T3 lounge. It is airside beyond immigration so you need to be on an international flight to do it. There is no OW lounge in domestic landside or airside.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 2:27 am

Programs: DL Gold / Accor Gold
Originally Posted by tc69
Thanks pmichelazzo. Yes, I was a bit worried about the time taken to go through immigration at GRU. But actually, I need to catch the flight at 16:45 from GRU to POA. So if I can check in my luggage early at GRU at the LATAM desk, I think I can go over to the LATAM lounge at terminal 3 and wait there (for hours) for my flight to POA. But this is only possible there is early bag drop off at GRU.
When you cross the immigration and customs on T3, you have a "fast drop" place close of the exit. Drop the bags there and walk around. I'm not sure if you can wait on the lounge. To domestic flights I don't remember if LATAM have a lounge (the G3 had).

Unfortunately the connections between the airport and the city are not good and the traffic is always crazy.

I think that if you can find a early flight to POA, could be better.

Cheers.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by pmichelazzo
When you cross the immigration and customs on T3, you have a "fast drop" place close of the exit. Drop the bags there and walk around. I'm not sure if you can wait on the lounge. To domestic flights I don't remember if LATAM have a lounge (the G3 had).

Unfortunately the connections between the airport and the city are not good and the traffic is always crazy.

I think that if you can find a early flight to POA, could be better.

Cheers.
As another tip, if the "fast drop" place ends up having a far too long queue (e.g. near noon where lots of flights arrive), you can follow the connection signs (go upstairs to floor 2 where the pharmacy is, turn right to go to T2) and the check-in desks have oneworld priority.

Last time I've been there OWE/OWS have their own queue (which has absolutely no one waiting) at the check-in areas, but there is no priority in the bag drops which is frustrating.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 1:21 am
Original Poster

Many thanks for the tips. I will try to get an earlier flight departing GRU for POA.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 12:05 pm

There are bag drop counters after customs and duty-free shops, but sometimes they only accept pre-labeled bags (showing POA as final destination in your case).

My suggestion is you walk to T2 (10mins max) and try changing to an earlier flight on that day. Same day change is free of charge.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by zhizhizz
My suggestion is you walk to T2 (10mins max) and try changing to an earlier flight on that day. Same day change is free of charge.
Slightly unrelated question, do they do same-day flight changes for free now? I've never tried asking for it since LATAM's website says only Top fares are eligible.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by jimmielin
Slightly unrelated question, do they do same-day flight changes for free now? I've never tried asking for it since LATAM's website says only Top fares are eligible.
I asked for an earlier flight at least 4 times at the check-in counter in CGH/SDU/POA and always succeed. BASICO fare. DOMESTIC Flight.

In fact you can do it by yourself at check-in kiosk (45+mins before departure time of the target flight) or even online (2hrs before?)

https://www.latam.com/flight-anticipation/

I guess if you miss the original flight or want to change to another day, the penalties would apply.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.