Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > LATAM | LATAM Pass
Reload this Page >

LATAM Award space not showing up on BA.com?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LATAM Award space not showing up on BA.com?

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2019, 8:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA1K B6 Mosaic 1, Amtrak Select, Marriott Plat , AMEX Plat (noted for club access reference)
Originally Posted by flyingeph12
I believe what @theboss7593 is saying is that you can transfer Marriott points to LATAM's frequent flyer program and book J that way. LATAM makes more award seats available to members of its own frequent flyer program than to those of partner programs (like BA or AA). The amount of points is not fixed but varies.
Exactly and honestly J is not that expensive.

Rates are as follow for JFK-GYE/LIM (7 and 8 hours scheduled respectively.)

Economy starts at 15,000 off peak and can go as high as 71,900 but 99% of the time don't go above 50,000.

Off season 32,250 and Summer 40,500 books into Z class and would be considered like a United Saver fare. (LATAM doesn't have actually names for their variable rates) Other than holidays and when kids are getting out or in of school, extended breaks this rate is always available..
Off season 61,300 and Summer 79,700 books into I class although on rare occasion I and Z class are both the lowest fare. (32.5 and 40.5 respectively)
Off season 71,300 and Summer 90,200 books into D class.
111,300 books into C Class at ALL TIMES.
171,300 books into J Class at ALL TIMES.

Considering you get a 5,000 point bonus for every 20K you transfer effectively I'm getting a $1,670 business class one way ticket for $275 off peak and $355 peak season. plus they charge like $11.20 per ticket in taxes. When you fly LATAM J you get a 3 baggage allowance which is critical for my girlfriend as she brings a lot of stuff back to her family. That one extra bag allowance costs $160 in Economy vs Free in Business.

You also get access to AA's Flagship Lounge at JFK which is pretty sick.. LATAM's business check in (there are 18 J seats vs 190 something E seats) which let me tell you have you ever seen the economy line going to South America, it's 100 deep with a lot of people that travel once every 5-10-15-20 years. I think you get the idea... If your starving for points sure E on a 7-8 hour flight isn't going to kill you but if you have the extra 15K it's the best investment one can make...

Only bad thing about points booking with LATAM once you make the booking if you want to cancel it's $200 and they don't post back right away can take up to a week. So if your making a last minute change and don't have the points you are SOL. Sometimes having an extra 60-100K points (say for 2) isn't exactly easy.. Airport Control WILL NOT deal with you... They tell you to call and the call center tells you to deal with airport control... JFK LATAM's staff is not friendly and I speak more than enough Spanish to communicate. Even for IRROPS call center usually has to handle it unless you are at the gate.

Last edited by theboss7593; May 1, 2019 at 9:03 pm
Old May 1, 2019, 8:56 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by theboss7593
. . . Considering you get a 5,000 point bonus for every 20K you transfer . . .
That is the old SPG rate. Bonvoy points transfer at a rate of 3:1, and it’s 5000 bonus points for every 60k Bonvoy points transferred.
Old May 1, 2019, 9:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA1K B6 Mosaic 1, Amtrak Select, Marriott Plat , AMEX Plat (noted for club access reference)

That is the old SPG rate. Bonvoy points transfer at a rate of 3:1, and it’s 5000 bonus points for every 60k Bonvoy points transferred.

You are correct.. and then to LATAM at 1:3. Old rate was so much easier simple 1 to 1 with your bonus... Easier for me quick conversion using the old way.

And for what's its worth to GREAKLY I've never witnessed any JFK-GYE/LIM space available thru BA. AA can't speak for but I'd be inclined to say just as rare and I believe the AA redemption rate is very poor compared to "saver" rate with LATAM. You can also use Alaska Mileage Plan but you have to call Alaska to redeem. Pretty sure as long as there is (I) space it can be done. 45K each way in J. (LATAM's "saver" rate still better direct than with Alaska)
Old May 1, 2019, 9:24 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by theboss7593
You are correct.. and then to LATAM at 1:3. Old rate was so much easier simple 1 to 1 with your bonus... Easier for me quick conversion using the old way.

And for what's its worth to GREAKLY I've never witnessed any JFK-GYE/LIM space available thru BA. AA can't speak for but I'd be inclined to say just as rare and I believe the AA redemption rate is very poor compared to "saver" rate with LATAM. You can also use Alaska Mileage Plan but you have to call Alaska to redeem. Pretty sure as long as there is (I) space it can be done. 45K each way in J. (LATAM's "saver" rate still better direct than with Alaska)
I have seen JFK-LIM available through AA, but it is rare (and even more so recently with LATAM’s 787 engine issues). I actually think US-South America 1 is a sweet spot on the AA award chart, as it is only 30k one-way in business.
Old May 1, 2019, 10:48 pm

I have seen JFK-LIM available through AA, but it is rare (and even more so recently with LATAM’s 787 engine issues). I actually think US-South America 1 is a sweet spot on the AA award chart, as it is only 30k one-way in business.
Wow that is a decent rate... I forgot about that (SA1 route rate) to be honest.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 5:33 am

Hi guys, trying to book reward flight CUZ-LIM-IGU 09 Aug 2020, on the BA website it shows 7 seats available (Y), but can't finish the booking, gives an error. Called BA, they said there's no availability. How come? The same about 08 Aug 2020.

Edit:
Another agent said they can book 2 separate flights CUZ-LIM and LIM-IGU, but can't book CUZ-LIM-IGU. If both legs are available, why can't they book it as one ticket?

Last edited by oruvin; Sep 15, 2019 at 6:10 am
Old Sep 16, 2019, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by oruvin
Hi guys, trying to book reward flight CUZ-LIM-IGU 09 Aug 2020, on the BA website it shows 7 seats available (Y), but can't finish the booking, gives an error. Called BA, they said there's no availability. How come? The same about 08 Aug 2020.

Edit:
Another agent said they can book 2 separate flights CUZ-LIM and LIM-IGU, but can't book CUZ-LIM-IGU. If both legs are available, why can't they book it as one ticket?
Doesn't really matter other than for connection purposes (but really OTP in South America is excellent) because BA charges miles by number of segments (and distance) not 1 booking vs 2 bookings.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 11:55 am

I was looking at CUN-LPB flights on Latam using Avios on British Airways site. One day it showed 7 seats available on the flights I wanted. The next day they were gone. I couldn't book, as I'm still accruing points for the trip (in late May).

So once the Latam flights disappear on BA, they're unlikely to re-appear in the coming days or weeks? As of now, there's not much availability for anything of use to me on Latam. I was unsure whether this was a legitimate dearth of availability or a website glitch.

I was trying to get to LIM or LPB from the US using my Southwest companion pass for positioning then, I thought, a direct Latam flight via BA.
Old May 29, 2020, 11:55 am

Is there any pattern as to LATAM's timing of award release to partners? Specifically Premium Business awards to BA or AS?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.