Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Las Vegas
Reload this Page >

Check out time for LAS (Las Vegas) 7am flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2009, 7:07 pm
Original Poster

I have a 7am flight out LAS on Friday. I'll be staying Thurs night at the Orleans. I've never taken a flight out of here that early. I'm wondering between:

- driving to the car rental return (and returning)
- catching shutte to airport
- going through security

How early I should plan on leaving? On the shuttle bus to the car rental agentcy, they played an announcement, "TSA recommends getting to the airport 2hrs before your flight". Do I really need to plan on checking out of my hotel at 4am to catch my flight?

Thanks.

Jeff
Old Aug 17, 2009, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
I'd be out the door of Orleans no later than 5 AM sharp. 20 minute drive to the car rental facility; 10-20 minutes dropping the car, getting on the bus, getting to the airport; 10-30 minutes getting through security and tram to gate. A bit of cushion for unforeseen events. At the gate at 6:10 AM or so if everything's hunky dory.
Old Aug 17, 2009, 8:54 pm

Lines can be very long. I'd want two hours not 45 minutes at the airport. Sometimes a first class ticket speeds you through the line. Better safe than sorry.

My last Vages trip was in coach and I cleared security and was at the gate on a Thursday in less than 15 minutes at around 8 am. But time before it took over an hour to reach the gate.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 3:01 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
The length of the lines at security is seems to directly correlated to the ending of a convention. I normally take the redeye's out of LAS, and the lines after 8 pm are almost non-existent.
On the other hand a few times I took morning flights (after a convention ended), the line made a double ESS curve--close to an hour wait to get to the point where they checked tickets and ID.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA-2MM; GalacticXpress-Irridium
I leave Venetian at 4 for a 6:30ish WN flight and have always had plenty of time to spare and that's with returning a rental car.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
A first class ticket (to the "D" gates) takes all variability out of the equation. There's never any lines for the front of the bus. Last trip I left Harrah's at 5:15am and was sitting at the gate at 5:50. With retuning a car, I'd go with the 5am sharp recommendation. Be in the car and 5am and you'll be fine.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 9:35 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hyatt Plat
I know this sounds crazy but I have left Encore at 10.40pm for a 11.55pm flight, with a rental car to return, and made it. I checked in online.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by indo79
I know this sounds crazy but I have left Encore at 10.40pm for a 11.55pm flight, with a rental car to return, and made it. I checked in online.
I'm glad I wasn't in your party.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by jwhite4
I have a 7am flight out LAS on Friday. I'll be staying Thurs night at the Orleans. I've never taken a flight out of here that early. I'm wondering between:

- driving to the car rental return (and returning)
- catching shutte to airport
- going through security

How early I should plan on leaving? On the shuttle bus to the car rental agentcy, they played an announcement, "TSA recommends getting to the airport 2hrs before your flight". Do I really need to plan on checking out of my hotel at 4am to catch my flight?

Thanks.

Jeff
It depends.

Do you have airline "status"?

Do you plan on "contingencies"?

With a rental car, leaving 2 hrs from the hotel, before air departure, seems prudent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.