Search

Michelin Starred Las Vegas Restaurants

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2007, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA-2MM; GalacticXpress-Irridium
Michelin Starred Las Vegas Restaurants

Michelin has come out with 2008 listing of starred restaurants in Las Vegas. Only one 3-star restaurant, Joel Robuchon. Below is listing (with hotel/location):

3-Stars:
Joel Robuchon (MGM)

2-Stars:
Alex (Wynn)
Guy Savoy (Caesars)
Picasso (Bellagio)

1-Star:
Alize (Palms)
Andres (downtown)
Aureole (Mandalay Bay)
Bradley Ogden (Caesars)
Daniel Boulud Brasserie (Wynn)
L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon (MGM)
Le Cirque (Bellagio)
Mesa Grill (Caesars)
Michael Mina (Bellagio)
miX (Mandalay Bay)
Nobu (Hard Rock)
Wing Lei (Wynn)

Source: http://www.michelinguide.com/lv_stars08.html

Last edited by kingalien; Nov 28, 2007 at 8:20 am Reason: added hotel/locations
Old Nov 28, 2007, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

For fun:

Hotel bragging rights by number of restaurants starred:
Wynn = 3
Caesars = 3
Bellagio = 3
MGM = 2
Mandalay Bay = 2

Hotel bragging rights by total stars:
Bellagio = 4
Caesars = 4
MGM = 4
Wynn = 4
Mandalay Bay = 2

Last edited by kingalien; Dec 3, 2007 at 12:36 pm Reason: can't add!
Old Nov 28, 2007, 8:51 am

I was quite disappointed to find out that Joel Robuchon will be closed during our stay next month, even before I found out that it received three Michelin stars. Will have to "settle" for L'Atelier instead. Was also considering Guy Savoy in addition as well, but we've decided not overdo it on the French. Also, we are traveling with our toddler daughter and nanny, so we don't want to eat without them every single night!

Never been much of a "star collector", but was interesting to me that in Vegas alone I "have" 5 stars! Can't disagree with Picasso and Le Cirque was good, but not entirely convinced of the star-worthiness of The Mix or Nobu Vegas (love the Nobus in NY and Malibu, though). They are not by any means "bad" and in fact we enjoyed them; just that we didn't find them to be exceptional.

Interestingly, I've heard so much talk about Rosemary's (in the strip mall) being the "best restaurant in Vegas" and finally tried it myself two years ago and found it to be excellent, but it didn't receive any stars. Wondering if they are even listed in the guide, and if not, perhaps they were just not visited by the Michelin inspectors?
Old Nov 28, 2007, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Amanjunkie
Also, we are traveling with our toddler daughter and nanny, so we don't want to eat without them every single night!
Why would this be a problem

Seriously, while I haven't tried Guy Savoy yet, I'd go with Savoy over L'Atelier.

Agree about Mix. While good it wasn't exactly memorable. I was there for a private party complete with a custom menu and was not blown away.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by kingalien
Why would this be a problem

Seriously, while I haven't tried Guy Savoy yet, I'd go with Savoy over L'Atelier.

Agree about Mix. While good it wasn't exactly memorable. I was there for a private party complete with a custom menu and was not blown away.
LOL...and yes, that's what others here have said about Guy Savoy. Part of the attraction of L'Atelier is that it's in the MGM Grand, so partly for convenience's sake, and also because we've been to other L'Ateliers around the world and always enjoyed them. Also interested in the whole "counter concept" thing. But we may just have to do another night of French with the raves that Guy Savoy has been getting!

Last edited by Amanjunkie; Nov 28, 2007 at 10:22 pm
Old Nov 29, 2007, 7:27 am

agree about Mix....we were very disappointed in the food, although the room is very cool and worth a visit for a drink. I also like Bouchon, in the Venetian, much better than DB Brasserie in the Wynn, but that's what makes it an interesting discussion. I did eat at Joel Rubochon, and it certainly seemed worthy of three stars to me.....
Old Nov 30, 2007, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lvnvflyer
I also like Bouchon, in the Venetian, much better than DB Brasserie in the Wynn
Really? I wasn't overly impressed with Bouchon, and I have an upcoming reservation at DB. Why did you like Bouchon much better?
Old Dec 1, 2007, 12:31 pm

I think the food at Bouchon, particularly the specials, is more interesting that at DB, and I prefer the wine list there as well. I also like the room more and particularly the outside seating in clement weather. I think the Wynn "lake" is kind of cool, but I thought the room seemed kind of cold. Also, I really like the raw bar at Bouchon; they always have a great selection of oysters.

That being said, last time we ate at Bouchon, I had the trout, and I wouldn't recommend it. There was nothing wrong with it, but we thought it was bland. My husband, on the other hand, had some brisket that had been cooked sous vide, and it was great. I also really like their soups.

We should try DB again, because we've only been twice, and relatively close to opening, but in the Wynn, we usually end up at Okada....
Old Dec 1, 2007, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lvnvflyer
We should try DB again, because we've only been twice, and relatively close to opening, but in the Wynn, we usually end up at Okada....
I just ate there a few weeks ago. Fortunately we were on a corporate expense account...
Old Dec 2, 2007, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
I was not impressed at all by DB. Food was only OK, and service was a mix of amateurish and haughty. Don't know why it deserves any stars. Wing Lei, on the other hand, is the best Chinese I've been to outside of China, and the service is very good, so I agree with that.
Old Dec 8, 2007, 5:31 pm

Programs: US Chairmans, AA Lifetime Gold, SPG Platinum
I am also surprised about the Daniel Boulud Brasserie. I have eaten there twice, and it is a very fine place, but it did not seem anywhere near the quality of any other Michelin starred place I have been. I mean, would the place be starred if it were located in France? I doubt it.

In terms of the rest of the list: Picasso is a personal favorite, although I don't think their tasting menu has enough courses, and I would have agreed with 2 stars a few years ago but now it seems more like a solid 1.

I liked the food at Aureole very much, the service was a little bit amateurish. However, supposedly Michelin is only looking at the food when awarding stars so OK, this is a 1 star.

Le Cirque: I love this place, it is unapolagetically French and certainly the type of place that Michelin tends to look favorably on. I have had some amazing wine pairings there, and their foie gras is superb. Surprised it is not 2 stars.

Mix: Outstanding food in my opinion, a very refined menu. The room just does not fit what they are trying to do on the plate, it is way, way too loud and lacks refinement. For the lounge scene it is spectacular, but for me it does not work as a restuarant in spite of the great menu, service and food. Again, 1 star is about right if they are just looking at the food...obviously the Michelin people are aware that this place is affiliated with Alain Ducasse and this may well have tipped the scales in favor of a star.

I miss going to Renoir at the Mirage, certainly that would have been 1-2 stars if it were still open. (Alex Stratta has moved on to the Wynn and has 2 stars there.)

Will be trying Atelier of Joel Robuchon later this month.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.