Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Airline to Vegas?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2007, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Best Airline to Vegas?

Was wondering if anyone could recommend the best airline to fly into Vegas, in particular from the Los Angeles area?

I flew into Vegas from L.A. once before a few years ago and as I remember the experience was not particularly enjoyable. The plane was old, the seats were tired, and the flight was just packed and noisy. Unfortunately, I don't remember the airline so that I can avoid it on this upcoming trip.

This time, I am willing to fly on business class, if only to avoid the crowds and to get off the plane earlier. But is there any one particular airline that is recommended above the others?
Old Nov 18, 2007, 2:46 pm

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Are you seriously concerned over the "quality" of a flight from LAX (or the LA area) to The Vegas?

If so, might I suggest something a little more personal and upscale.

BTW, getting off the plane "earlier" isn't going to help you much if you have checked bags. Since, you'll still have to wait an ungodly amount of time at the baggage carousel. And, if you need to fly back out of LAS, there is no way to avoid the non-optimal TSA situation at this airport (for regular commercial flights).

So.... maybe my suggestion isn't so bad after all.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA-2MM; GalacticXpress-Irridium
From Los Angeles, for convenience there is no other airline to consider than Southwest. And you can fly from any of the LA area airports (ONT, BUR, LAX). However, Southwest is only one class, all coach, or all Business Class if you want to look at it that way .

The LAX-LAS flight is only 50 minutes and usually 65 minutes gate to gate. So it's not really necessary to go first class there (there are no business class flights).

For first class, your options are pretty much limited ex-LAX flying either US or AA. IIRC, there is sometimes one daily non-stop flight with first class options on NW and DL as well. Your best bet would be US with multiple non-stop flights daily, but I don't even consider US first class to be true first class, meaning, old seats, little leg room, etc. Regardless of which airline you choose, all use planes with dated FC cabins.

If you want the best first class experience and willing to go a little bit out of the way, take Virgin America, LAX-SFO-LAS.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 2:55 pm

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion
An hour long flight or less is really not that long to be concerned about quality. Those flights are always crowded. California is a huge market for visitors to Las Vegas. Paid domestic first class is totally not worth it for this short of a leg. Save your money for Las Vegas!
Old Nov 18, 2007, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So, baccarat_king, when will you send one of those "upscale" jets over to pick up all of us regulars here in LAS for sinful fun at the Borgata?
Old Nov 18, 2007, 3:01 pm

Or if you really want do spend some cash just get a limo from your door to the strip in about the same time (weekend trips excluded)
Old Nov 18, 2007, 3:01 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by kingalien
So, baccarat_king, when will you send one of those "upscale" jets over to pick up all of us regulars here in LAS for sinful fun at the Borgata?
Why would I want to do that, when you can fly NK from LAS-ACY (though, I do think that service is ending soon).

I'll send a car to ACY to pick you up,

How's dat?
Old Nov 18, 2007, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by trupper999
Or if you really want do spend some cash just get a limo from your door to the strip in about the same time (weekend trips excluded)
If we hired a limo to drive us from L.A., we'd miss the whole Maybach experience to the hotel from the Vegas airport!
Old Nov 18, 2007, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by Amanjunkie
If we hired a limo to drive us from L.A., we'd miss the whole Maybach experience to the hotel from the Vegas airport!
You are so right! Hate to miss that
Old Nov 18, 2007, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

any air taxi services between LA and LV have VLJs (Eclipse) yet??

i guess people here dont recognize Aman
http://amanresorts.com/

somehow i suspect Amanjunkie is not overly concerned with price of domestic premium tickets, especially LAX-LAS.

between UA and AA, if you have amex plat/cent, you get lounge access with AA now. ^^

Virgin might be worth considering as well, i havent kept up on reviews. how aggressive is their pricing now?

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Nov 18, 2007 at 6:42 pm
Old Nov 18, 2007, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
between UA and AA, if you have amex plat/cent, you get lounge access with AA now. ^^
UA only flies Ted to LAS, definitely not in the same league as a Maybach .

somehow i suspect Amanjunkie is not overly concerned with price of domestic premium tickets, especially LAX-LAS.
then baccarat_king hit the nail on the head ^. Can I hitch a ride?
Old Nov 18, 2007, 6:54 pm

i guess people here dont recognize Aman
http://amanresorts.com/
ahh.. yes, we do....

but, even setting money aside, there is no "quality" air service from the LA area to LAS unless you fly non-commercial; and, the Maybach will pick-up at the general aviation terminal at McCarran --- better yet, why not have the Maybach pick you up planeside.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 7:02 pm

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed

Amex Platinum only.

While it gets you Admiral's Club access in LAX, you still have to pay for your drinkies there.

First would get the OP premium security line access both at LAX and LAS (I am assuming it still is there).

I certainly would not pay First $$ for a couple of $5 cocktails and Premium Snack Mix (which coach gets too on longer flights).

Grin and bear economy and splurge on a Bellagio Suite instead.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i have to imagine there is an air taxi service with a new Eclipse VLJ flying LA>LV. that would be the thing to consider IMHO. otherwise youd be on a slower turboprop, which might be slower than F class, except for baggage claim. no F class baggage priority? F would also get priority check-in and boarding.

F class is ~$600. (vs $120>$280 for Y)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Nov 18, 2007 at 7:35 pm
Old Nov 18, 2007, 7:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP | UA Million Miler Gold (former decade-long 1K) | SPG Plat | Hyatt Plat | Avis Chairman
If leg room is a consideration, it's hard to beat Ted's exit rows, 10 and 11. There's a football field of space in front of you in these rows - IIRC, far more than on any single-isle domestic F commercial carrier.

As baccarat_king rightly pointed out, getting off the plane first doesn't help much considering the usually long wait for bags at McCarran. However, if you're traveling sans checked luggage, that's a different story. Better yet, I like his idea to splurge and go with a GA flight.

PS - Please don't tell anyone on the UA board that I posted something positive here about Ted. I'll never live it down!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.