Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$20 Trick - It works very well

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2008, 9:18 am

Programs: Delta Gold, HH Gold
Success, failure, success

My Mom and I spent 4 nights at the LV Hilton with 4 1-night reservations (Mom Friday and Sunday, me Saturday and Monday). Mom checked in on Friday while I was dealing with the Valet, and the young man checking her in was extremely enthusiastic in accepting her $20, and gave us Lanai suite 342. I was a bit dissappointed when he said this since I had stayed in a Lanai suite a few years ago and they were very dated, but once we got in the room we found that they had made quite a few updates, including a neat overhead rain showerhead, and a 42" flatscreen in the livingroom section of the room.
Saturday morning we both walked up to the desk, and I handed the girl my cards along with $10, and said "My Mom is checking out and I am checking in right now, and we were wondering if we could just stay in the same room". The girl said "Oh, no. The reason you got this $300 room was that there were not any regular rooms available. But I can give you an upgraded room in the east tower". I went ahead and took it, and we moved our stuff up to what was really just a regular room with a down comforter on the bed and a flatscreen tv.
Sunday morning we decided to actually pack our stuff and throw it in the car, then check back in that evening. Mom once again was successful in getting us a Lanai suite - 346 this time. We arrived in the room and found it was at least 80F in there. We set the air to max cool and cranked the fan, then went and played for a few hours. Upon getting back in the room we found it was not any cooler, so we walked back down to the desk, and the same girl that had checked Mom in apologized and moved us to Lanai suite 341. We were quite happy with this room, although the blowdryer is broken in there.
Monday morning we did the "Mom is checking out-I am checking in - same room?" thing without a tip and were successful.
All in all, we were quite happy with our $20 tricks at the LV Hilton!
Old May 14, 2008, 5:09 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by briankoenig
IMO you will *never* get laughed at for tipping $50 to the front desk. I think anything $20+ is a non-laughing matter.
With my luck with things like this, I might just be the first one. But hey, it's Vegas, might as well gamble.
Old May 17, 2008, 1:05 pm

Smile It worked at Planet Hollywood

My dear daughter and I checked in on 5-13-08. Slipped the desk clerk the folded $20 between the credit card and my ID, was upgraded to the "Hollywood Hip" room on the 21st floor. Huge room and bath and a huge flat screen TV. All went well there and I think I'll be staying again.
Old May 19, 2008, 5:53 pm

Palazzo report

Intentionally deleted.

Last edited by jes999; May 19, 2008 at 10:55 pm
Old May 19, 2008, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
No dice at the Flamingo

Checked in late Sunday night, asked about an upgrade with a not so subtle $20 peeking out from under my visa. The clerk said they were at 103% of capacity (not sure where they stick the extra 3% - slot chairs ) and the best he could offer me was a smoking king or a non-smoking suite with a murphy bed. Neither was acceptable so I asked to speak with a manager who apparently did not want to leave his chair but was able to find a decent 2-bed nonsmoking room on the 23rd floor.

The next morning I went down to the front desk and was able to upgrade to a Go! room for $40/day. The new room was still pretty inferior to most of the new strip properties but still well worth the money (think average Marriott v. Comfort Inn).
Old Sep 2, 2008, 5:29 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Southwest A-List, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jwhite4
Yes please let me know. I go to the Orleans every year (at some point in the future, maybe just myself and my wife), so it would be good to know if there are any options to he had there.

Jeff
Just wondering if anyone has tried it the Orleans recently?
Old Sep 3, 2008, 5:40 am

Didn't offer the $20 at checkin

I instead asked for an upgrade, and received one. At PH.
Old Sep 5, 2008, 3:36 pm

No luck for me

This past Wednesday I spent a couple nights, two of them comped, at the Flamingo. I had a pretty strong feeling as I walked up that it wasn't going to work, since the only open clerk was a male in early-30's and wearing a suit while the others were in the standard shirts. (I have better luck with the mid-20's girls and the post-50's women)
Tried the "$20 sandwich" and he very abruptly said "I wish there was something I could do" before I even said anything, and tossed the bill back across the counter at me. I was traveling with my brother, and he even checked my brother's ID to confirm that we had the same last name.

Oh well. Still had a great time.
Old Sep 6, 2008, 11:40 am
Oxb

Programs: Earthling, TSA Disparager Gold
This past Wednesday I spent a couple nights, two of them comped, at the Flamingo. I had a pretty strong feeling as I walked up that it wasn't going to work, since the only open clerk was a male in early-30's and wearing a suit while the others were in the standard shirts. (I have better luck with the mid-20's girls and the post-50's women)
Tried the "$20 sandwich" and he very abruptly said "I wish there was something I could do" before I even said anything, and tossed the bill back across the counter at me. I was traveling with my brother, and he even checked my brother's ID to confirm that we had the same last name.

Oh well. Still had a great time.
At least he did not keep the $20 and pretend to upgrade you

I did the $50 sandwich at PH a couple of weeks ago and had it returned to me. Oh, well. The $20 sandwich worked well at Ballys before that. We will see how it works at Luxor next week.
Old Sep 6, 2008, 12:03 pm

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
It's typically tougher on weekends than weeknights in Vegas, I'd venture to say.
Old Sep 7, 2008, 1:42 pm

Programs: QFF (Gold), Skywards, Rapid Rewards,United, Velocity, Hilton Silver
I was considering trying at Ballys but is it worth it as we are 3 adults in a 2 queen room at moment.
Old Sep 7, 2008, 3:09 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
I was traveling with my brother, and he even checked my brother's ID to confirm that we had the same last name.
Why would he check your brother's ID? Were both of your Total Rewards numbers on the reservation?
Old Sep 8, 2008, 9:53 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
did not work at paris but......

fri-sun, sept 5-7
i'm a diamond card holder
3 of us checking in for 2 rooms
my room comp'd
$50 sandwich beteeen cc & diamond card but making sure the 50 was visible.

very politely returned saying "they have been cracking down" but the rooms were changed to the newly renovated rooms on floor 26 with a full strip view of the bellagio fountains.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by aamilesslave
Why would he check your brother's ID? Were both of your Total Rewards numbers on the reservation?
Mine was probably on the reservation, but my brother's definitely wouldn't be. I don't really know why he had to check his ID. This is what happened:

Him: "Is anyone staying in the room with you?"
Me: "Yes, my brother" <who is standing right next to me>
Him: "Your brother? Same last name?"
Me: "Yes."
Him: "Can I see your ID?" <to my brother>
Brother: "Sure" <hands him id>

I can't think of any reason why they'd need his ID. Even if they thought he was under 21 (he's 27) I thought only the primary needed to be 21. Weird.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 12:41 pm

Location: Cleveland, Ohio. I answer any question about Cleveland
Programs: I'm nobody
I always get the upgraded room I ask for

together with the credit card charge for the upgraded room.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.