Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone taken the Monorail?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2005, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NW Gold now, WC, SPG Gold
Anyone taken the Monorail?

I've read a bit on these boards about the issues with the Monorail. For one, the fact that it didn't work for so long! Also, that the locations weren't conveneint to their stops (that they let you off in the back of hotels, etc.) But instead of walking from the South of the Strip to the North side, it looks (on paper) to be a nice, convenient option. Has anyone taken it-any reviews? If it's no good, how best to get from a Luxor to a Stratosphere, etc? I've walked from Center strip to the north and even that was not much fun.
Old Mar 1, 2005, 1:59 pm

Location: CP-ASEL,AMEL,G-IA in Tucson, Arizona, United States
I tried it on its third (or so) day of public operation. I liked it. Especially since it was really hot and humid outside, but air-conditioned inside.
Old Mar 1, 2005, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NW Gold now, WC, SPG Gold
At $3/ride, is the $30 weekly pass a good deal? It seems like for a 3 or 4 day trip it could be, if you used it more than once a day. Think that's very likely or not? I think those were the rates I had read about. Does it come pretty often? Thanks.
Old Mar 1, 2005, 3:16 pm

I hear those things are awfully loud.
Old Mar 1, 2005, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I thought they were really pretty. I love the yellow Nextel ones.
Old Mar 1, 2005, 7:09 pm

I took it just before it broke again for a few days in January. The ride itself is just fine. The trams come every six minutes or so. We bought and shared a 10 ride ticket for $20.00. At 2.00 a ride it was fine. We only went from the large parking lot at the Sahara station to the convention center but it saved some traffic.

The stations are a long walk from most places. To get from the Luxor to the Stratosphere as your planning I would take a cab.

The monorail at the Luxor goes as far as the Excalibur. Then you walk across to the MGM and to the far back lot of their property to get to the monorail that goes to the Sahara. Then you walk from the far back of the Sahara to the Stratosphere. I would guess it would take you about an hour to do this. The cab ride from the Luxor up the expressway would probably cost about $12.00 door to door and take 15 minutes.
Old Mar 2, 2005, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by SMessier
I hear those things are awfully loud.
It glides as softly as a cloud!
Old Mar 3, 2005, 7:23 pm
Original Member

Stop that rhyming now! I mean it!

QL
Old Mar 3, 2005, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by QuietLion
Stop that rhyming now! I mean it!

QL
Anybody want a peanut?
Old Mar 4, 2005, 7:31 am

Is there a chance the track may bend?
Old Mar 4, 2005, 11:27 am

Programs: WN/HPUS/B6/DL
Not on your life, my Hindu friend.
Old Mar 5, 2005, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
I rode the monorail a few weekends ago and it was fine.

I stayed at the new (non-gaming) Renaissance, which is adjacent to the South Hall of the LVCC and therefore just a couple minute's walk to the CC monorail station. It was VERY nice to be able to go to and from the Strip hotels on a whim (I bought the all-day pass).

Conversely, when staying on the Strip in the future, it will be great to be able to go to and from the LVCC during trade shows - no more horrendous cab lines or rental car hassles

BTW the ticketing machines take debit as well as credit cards - my Florida card was accepted with no problems whatsoever.
Old Mar 5, 2005, 10:22 am

Programs: United 1K, American Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, and Hilton Silver
mono... D'OH!
Old Mar 10, 2005, 11:38 am

Monorail okay for one

Hey there.

Just got back from Vegas on Monday. Went with four guys - took the monorail once when exploring on my own - from Harrah's to Las Vegas Hilton then walked to Circus Circus - about a 20 - 30 minute walk so expect a walk if you're not going to the station hotel.

For $3 definitely worth it if you want to get somewhere relatively fast. If you've got a larger group of 3 or 4, cab is probably more economical and about the same amount of time - most of the cabbies I had seem to know the short cuts.

Enjoy.

Toronto Traveler
Old Mar 10, 2005, 9:56 pm

How often do they run?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.