Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Las Vegas
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated "Transportation options & costs to/from LAS from/to ______" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Consolidated "Transportation options & costs to/from LAS from/to ______" thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2005, 4:47 pm

Programs: HP/US Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by lorra
Got into the cab about 9:30 pm Tues. Told the driver to go Trop and Koval to the Venetian. Was very polite. In broken english he told me the beltway would be faster. I said the other way would be cheaper. My DH said enough, let's be safe, go his way. We went the cabbies way. He charged us $15. We tipped him and thanked him many times. I had thought I would be cheated, DH thought we'd be dumped in an alley. Turns out the cabbie gave us a break and was very nice, helping with luggage and such. Have a little faith.
9:30pm on a Tuesday? $15? You paid way to much.

But each is own I guess
Old Sep 19, 2005, 11:06 pm

Programs: TSA/INS/FBI Platinum (stopped last 12 of 13 int'l returns - the computer broke once)
It's about 4.25 miles from the airport to Venetian, going Swenson to Paradise to Flamingo and then down the Strip, or Swenson to Paradise to Flamingo to Koval to Sands and in the back entrance.

Initial Drop: $3.20
McCarran charge: $1.20
Additional 4 miles: $8.00

Total: $12.40 + "stuck in traffic" charges

Where's the rip-off? I could see that $20+ would be a rip-off, but $15 doesn't seem unreasonable. Higher than optimal, but not unreasonable.
Old Sep 20, 2005, 9:40 am

I paid $15 to get from Mandalay Bay to Airport. I felt it was a tad expensive but the hotel said it was around $15 incl. tip. But then I split the cab with someone so it came out to $7~8 pp.
Old Oct 11, 2005, 9:15 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
got longhauled

had an enjoyable weekend in las but my cab from the airport was shall we say interesting....

1-get in the cab
2-"where to?"
3-"harrah's" (that's all i said-and on purpose )
4-gee, we're goin' thru the tunnel
5-gee, we get off by ceasars'
6-gee, we don't cross the strip and come in the back way but rather turn left onto the strip because there's just "oh, so much traffic on the strip and it looks so pretty" to enter harrah's that way.
7-gee, the meeter says $23
i tell the driver he longhauled me which is illegal and i'm not going to pay $23 for a $12 cab ride and he's got 2 choices-a free ride or i call the taxi authority.

driver: you owe me the fare
me: don't say a word and call the cab company who gives me the taxi authority.

the t/a shows up and i explain the situation but when he goes to talk to the driver, i hear "you didn't learn from last time, did you?"

the t/a officer was not amused and to make long story short, i got a thank you from him, a free ride and the cab got towed as i have a feeling that this officer had had enough with this driver......
Old Oct 11, 2005, 9:32 am

Programs: hoarding miles
Originally Posted by goalie
i tell the driver he longhauled me which is illegal and i'm not going to pay $23 for a $12 cab ride and he's got 2 choices-a free ride or i call the taxi authority.

driver: you owe me the fare
me: don't say a word and call the cab company who gives me the taxi authority.

the t/a shows up and i explain the situation but when he goes to talk to the driver, i hear "you didn't learn from last time, did you?"

the t/a officer was not amused and to make long story short, i got a thank you from him, a free ride and the cab got towed as i have a feeling that this officer had had enough with this driver......
how long did it take for the t/a to show up? or more importantly, how long was it from when you arrived at Harrah's 'till when you were done with the situation and were on your way?
Old Oct 11, 2005, 10:26 am

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by JerryGuitar
how long did it take for the t/a to show up? or more importantly, how long was it from when you arrived at Harrah's 'till when you were done with the situation and were on your way?
10 minutes from the time i made the call for showing up and while the t/a officer was "doing the paperwork", i went inside to check-in (didn't want the chocolates to melt ) and when i came out (maybe 15 minutes), the officer told me it was all done and i could enjoy my weekend. i know there are some that would say 25-30 mintues is a bit of a wait but as those that know me will stay, "i'm just a wee bit stubborn" and it's a matter of principle w/me (and besides, the 15 minutes was my check-in time anyway)
Old Oct 11, 2005, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by goalie
"i'm just a wee bit stubborn" and it's a matter of principle w/me
me too, that's why i was wondering how long I'll be waiting if this ever happens to me

^ to standing on principal. I hope that cabbie loses his medallion for good.
Old Oct 11, 2005, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by JerryGuitar
me too, that's why i was wondering how long I'll be waiting if this ever happens to me

^ to standing on principal. I hope that cabbie loses his medallion for good.
tip.....the minute you know you're getting longhauled, discretely write down the cab # and permit # off the tag on the dashboard as that's what you'll be asked for by the taxi company and the taxi authority. for me it was, "gee, this doesn't look right so lemme take out my little ole pen from my little ole briefcase and start writing down the little ole numbers (and if you need paper, just grab one of the "toursit brochures off the seat back in front of you) it was funny as the minute i picked up the phone, the driver starts "cleaning the dashboard" so i couldn't see the permit but whaddya know, i already had it written down .......)

call the cab company first to report it and then the t/a (702-486-6532) and after pressing 1 for english, press option one (those were my instructions from the cab dispatcher in order to get a real person).
Old Oct 12, 2005, 1:03 pm

I'm going to be in Vegas in early January with at least 4, maybe a 5th family member. We're all arriving on the same flight and staying at the stratosphere.

What's the least expensive way to get to the Stratosphere? Would it be wise to take a cab to the MGM and then the monorail all the way down($12 for cab + $10 rail fare + tip)? Or maybe use the limos for $5/person ($25 total+tip)? Will it go all the way to the stratosphere? The plane arrives ~11pm on a Sunday.

Any help is appreciated.
Old Oct 12, 2005, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by SpeedyMex
I'm going to be in Vegas in early January with at least 4, maybe a 5th family member. We're all arriving on the same flight and staying at the stratosphere.

What's the least expensive way to get to the Stratosphere? Would it be wise to take a cab to the MGM and then the monorail all the way down($12 for cab + $10 rail fare + tip)? Or maybe use the limos for $5/person ($25 total+tip)? Will it go all the way to the stratosphere? The plane arrives ~11pm on a Sunday.

Any help is appreciated.
Welcome to FT!

I would say that a regular old Taxi would be your best bet - you should be able to find/wait for a mini-van type at the airport that will fit 5 people. the cab to MGM with transfer to monorail would be neither cost-effective nor fast nor easy, and then you would still have a walk at the end to get to the Statosphere.
Old Oct 12, 2005, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by davesdog
I was letting her know how much time it actually was from Vegas to Hoover Dam.
And your time estimates were utterly wrong.
Old Oct 12, 2005, 8:20 pm

Airport transport

Just wanted to say thanks, I had read in a thread that if there's a long line at the taxi stand to go to a bag handler and they can get you a taxi. Landed in Vegas Oct 6, very long line for the taxis so asked the baggage handler if he could get us a taxi. For an extra couple of bucks he brought us to a different area and we were in a taxi in seconds, definitely worth it!! Cabbie tried to stiff us by long hauling us (another tip I learned here) would only pay him the gong rate but beware they difinitley try to get you!! Thanks for all the tips.
Old Nov 3, 2005, 1:37 am

Programs: HP/US Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by SpeedyMex

Any help is appreciated.
Take a cab. The Stratosphere is not in a good neighboorhood. Don't go North of it on Las Vegas Blvd. Definantly do not go west of it. That area is dangerous in the day time.
Old Jan 6, 2006, 10:03 pm

? Site & Vegas Noob: Deals on Shuttles from/to Airport

Hi y'all, we're first-timers going to Vegas in April and we were wondering if there any discounted rates/deals we can get round trip from the airport to the strip? Also, what's the weather generally in early April?

TIA
Old Jan 7, 2006, 2:29 am

unlike most cities, the airport is extremely close to the strip -- if there are two of you, then take a taxi -- it'll be around $13-15 one way depending on traffic. if there are more of you, taking the taxi is a no-brainer. there are no charges per person, for the taxi unlike other lame cities (durham, NC comes to mind).

if you want to save a few bucks, walk out of the baggage claim area and then purchase a shuttle ticket -- buy from one of the booths in the middle -- they are the busiest and you'll wait less for the shuttle to leave. tickets for the middle booths are $5.00 per person. avoid getting the round-trip tickets, which are tempting because its so cheap. i'll tell you why -- when you want to get from the hotel back to the airport, if you take the shuttle, they will force you to leave at least 2 hour prior to your flight, mainly because they will pick up many other parties on the way to the hotel -- waste of time. you can use the same argument for the trip from the airport to the hotel, but you automatically lose two hours because of the early pick up. this way, you can get an extra 2 hours of gambling in before you leave LV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.