how's the drive between LA & Las Vegas?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

how's the drive between LA & Las Vegas?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2002, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
I did it last December, and it was not 5 hours of boredom. We did, however, go out of our way to see things, not just drive for speed. For that, get on 15 West, drive fast, stay left.

A stop at Joshua Tree is great, but you can see some J trees on the way there without entering the park. For those who have never seen a wind farm, they are also interesting on the way to Palm Springs. You can drive an extra 5 or 10 miles after the left turn onto 62 to see them, maybe even grab lunch in Palm Springs.

From Joshua Tree (go in from 62 E, do the small loop and exit back onto 62) you can get to Route 15 by driving north to Amboy after turning left after 29Palms.

We went straight up through East Mojave National Scenic Area and picked up Route 15.
The route is signed, no problem there.

If you like desert driving it will suit you, if not, then no. Also the desert route will take a little longer.

Any long drive through this terrain calls for an extra gallon of water in the trunk, and maybe some snacks - just in case.
Old Oct 9, 2002, 1:38 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Ive done this drive a couple of times and always enjoy it. Having said that, its always been with a bunch of people, the smallest party Ive had was 4, and we have been upto 20 in 3 different SUVs, all connected with Motorola 2-way radios... I love the drive, and the desert plus arriving to Vegas at night by land is also a great treat.
Old Oct 10, 2002, 8:17 pm

Programs: AA, Starwood, Hyatt, Starbucks Gold
jongar and I just did this for the Vegas DO last wknd. I was going to fly, but he needed a local to go with him, and it was my idea that he attend the DO, so I gave in.

On the way up, we stopped at In 'n Out (Double Yum) and Dairy Queen and made pigs of ourselves (okay, just I did).

Then we stopped in Calico and took some pics. Been before, I like it there.

Because he had rented a red mustang convertible and had a British Passport, we sped all the way up and it still took us like 6-6 1/2 hrs with stopping and hitting just a bit of traffic.

On the way back we stopped at Bun Boy and it totally sucked. If you like cheap, grisly burgers and a browning iceberg lettuce salad, go for it. jongar did get a Bun Boy flattened penny, which was cool.

We did get pulled over on the way home as jongar darted in and out of the carpool lane, which with Sunday traffic, was one of the reasons I went up with him, so he would have a dummy for the carpool lane, plus I have Fastrak.

Anyway, I have never gotten out of a ticket so quick - remind me to get a foreign passport - but, again, the drive took like 6 hrs because of the bad traffic on Sunday where there was no carpool lane.
Old Oct 11, 2002, 3:22 pm

Programs: US Chairman, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I drive from Vegas to LA in 2000 to see Purdue play in the Rose Bowl. Just as a warning, it can become very windy on the interstate. Also, don't put 8 people in a minivan all with 2 hours of sleep and plan on not getting lost once you get there. It's a great drive, and personally a fun trip.
Old Oct 14, 2002, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
[QUOTE]Originally posted by lisamcgu:
[B]

On the way up, we stopped at In 'n Out (Double Yum) and Dairy Queen and made pigs of ourselves (okay, just I did).

Hey Jongar,

dhammer is the only guy allowed to stop at burger joints with lisamcgu.

Footnote,

On my upcoming drive to Vegas from LA in December, I'm stopping at the Roy Rogers Museum. Any takers?

Happy Trails, or should I say "Happy Trails".

Dan
Old Oct 18, 2002, 6:06 pm
SST

Warning, repeated: "KNX 1070"

Know what's going on with the freeways before you head east from town! You have a choice of the 210, 10, or 60 freeways (at the very least), and can save yourself the diffence between "hey, it was pretty cool" and "geez, I'd never do that again" with one 15-minute listen to the car radio.

Doubt me and learn......

Old Oct 21, 2002, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
If you drive, try doing it at night. The sun beating down on you or your passengers during the day is a real drag. With this being said, be sure you get a good night's rest prior to your trip.

Also, do not drive during a busy convention / holiday weekend. You'll be going bumper to bumper all the way there and back, a REAL torture.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.