Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Vegas Over Thanksgiving, crowded?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2017, 2:36 am
Original Poster

Vegas Over Thanksgiving, crowded?

HI, my fiancée and I are planning a trip to Vegas to get married. Our initial plans were to do this on or around Thanksgiving, because traditionally it's less crowded. But ridiculous airfare and hotel prices seem to indicate otherwise. Any thoughts?
Old Oct 18, 2017, 4:50 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
High hotel prices are a sure sign of a busy weekend in Vegas. The buffets are a popular alternative for locals and visitors instead of spending all day in the kitchen. See this article: https://www.reviewjournal.com/busine...ination-in-us/

Besides, do you really want your anniversary to fall on Thanksgiving? Will your fiancée enjoy spending it with annoying relatives, watching football and cooking all day? Try the week before or after for much more reasonable rates and an anniversary that will just be about you.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 2:16 pm

We went down for Thanksgiving/Black Friday weekend last year.
It was pretty busy, I'm assuming from all the Californians driving in, but not packed. We did see some premium pricing on some of the buffets being Thanksgiving weekend.
We've also gone a few times during the weekends after Thanksgiving and it quiets down a lot once you get into December up to Christmas. NFR is a bigger event early December but we didn't find that it made it feel a lot busier.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 11:40 am

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
My experience from living/working in Vegas years ago and also visiting many times over Thanksgiving is that Thursday will be relatively quiet. However, lots of folks drive in on Friday and spend the weekend. So, likely no less quiet than your usual Fri/Sat busy crowd in Vegas, if not more busy.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 1:00 am
Original Poster

Thanks all for the advice. I would have answered earlier but work was a black hole this week.

Originally Posted by Low Roller
High hotel prices are a sure sign of a busy weekend in Vegas. The buffets are a popular alternative for locals and visitors instead of spending all day in the kitchen. See this article: https://www.reviewjournal.com/busine...ination-in-us/

Besides, do you really want your anniversary to fall on Thanksgiving? Will your fiancée enjoy spending it with annoying relatives, watching football and cooking all day? Try the week before or after for much more reasonable rates and an anniversary that will just be about you.
I hear you, those would normally be things to consider traditionally. But neither of us have family to visit on the holiday. Nor do I watch football, so it would actually have given some meaning to Thanksgiving for us. And great article by the way, thanks for sharing it.

We've also gone a few times during the weekends after Thanksgiving and it quiets down a lot once you get into December up to Christmas. NFR is a bigger event early December but we didn't find that it made it feel a lot busier.
Good call, so we made the decision to go there Dec 6-10. Found a nice vacation package RT on AS SEA-LAS and stay at the Venetian. Was 40% less than booking the same Wed-Sat over Thanksgiving.

Thanks again for those who responded. I'll report on how it was after the trip. ^
Old Oct 21, 2017, 6:18 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
I'm glad it worked out. Have a great trip and congratulations on the wedding!
TiberiusOnTime likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 8:55 am

Programs: HH-Diamond, IHG-Plat, DL-DM, PnF Plat, Kroger +
My wife and I will be there next week for Thanksgiving weekend. It will be her first time there.
Most likely will do a show, go to Hoover dam, Freemont street. Not sure what other things we cold do besides gamble and try some good food.
We are staying at the Mirage.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA Silver, IHG Plat AMB, Hertz Pres. Circle, Avis Presidents Club; Caesars Diamond Plus
Originally Posted by Eddie98
My wife and I will be there next week for Thanksgiving weekend. It will be her first time there.
Most likely will do a show, go to Hoover dam, Freemont street. Not sure what other things we cold do besides gamble and try some good food.
I'd skip Fremont Street, unless you really want to see the Golden Nugget. The rest of the place is getting seedy again, in my opinion. Some of the street characters are kind of "questionable."
Walk through the Forum Shops at Caesars; go to the Conservatory at the Bellagio, and maybe the art gallery there, if you're interested. Check out the Grand Canal area on the second level of the Venetian (and don't miss the lobby area on the first level, for the ceiling alone!) There are loads of beautiful places to just wander through...
Have a great time!
Old Nov 21, 2017, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

I would also watch the Volcano at the Mirage and walk through the Wynn/Encore .

There is the ferris wheel at the Linq also ( and of course Paris and the eiffel tower with the fountains at Bellagio across the strip.

Regards

TBS
Old Nov 21, 2017, 4:30 pm

Programs: HH-Diamond, IHG-Plat, DL-DM, PnF Plat, Kroger +
thanks for the suggestions.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eddie98
Isn't that enough? What else is there beside booze??
Silver Fox likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.