Wiki Posts
Search

Checking two really big bags to LAS

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2018, 7:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles
Checking two really big bags to LAS

I am attending a conference in July where I will be checking two large bags on Delta. I have a ticket in F, which allows two free checked bags. One is a Zero Halliburton 26-inch Zeroller I bring on virtually every trip. The other will be a large Pelican-type case which is just under the max size for checking on Delta. It does not have wheels on it. Both bags will likely go directly yo the baggage officer, the first because it will have a declared firearm in it (and Delta will no longer put those on the carousel), and the other because it's likely too big for the system.
I'm going to need to get the bags first to the Rental Car Center, which usually entails a shuttle bus ride, and then from the shuttle bus to the rental car itself. I'm anticipating this to be a major trudge.
I'm wondering if there is some way I can go to the Rental Car Center first, sans bags, pick up my car, and then drive it back to the airport and pick up my bags from the baggage claim office? I doubt that the airport traffic folks will allow me to park my car unattended at the curb in the pickup area. Is there someplace reasonably close to baggage claim I can park a rental car (a minivan, actually) while I retrieve and/or drag my bags to the car?
Old Jun 10, 2018, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
At Terminal 1 at least (I think that's where Delta is), the closest you can get to the baggage carousel is about 250-400 feet, depending which carousel. You have to walk to the exit door, then traverse a walkway to the pickup lane. The pickup lane is immediately next to short-term parking, which I think is free for 15 minutes and $2-3 an hour thereafter.

They have SmarteCarts outside by the curb. They also have free luggage carts at the rental car facility.

I see you as having two options: 1) go outside and get a cart, get your bags, take then to the rental car bus and get them on and off the bus manually, when you get them off find a cart and you can keep the cart through the rental car line and take them down to where you get your car.

2) Go pick up the car and drive back and park in short-term parking. Get a cart and get your bags from the baggage office, take them back out to the parking, put them in your car, then return the cart.

I would opt for #1 since the only additional effort is getting the bags on and off the bus, and it will probably save you a fair amount of time.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 2:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles
Having thought about some more, I think I’m going for Option #2 . I’m not in a time crunch that day, and I would really like to avoid wrestling those two big cases onto the shuttle bus. I’m also not sure I can manage both cases at once between the baggage office and the shuttle bus stop, and I can’t leave either one unattended.

I appreciate the reply, in any event.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 9:05 am

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
Another option for you would be a baggage delivery service, for the bag that doesn't have the firearm in it. Put the gun in the wheeled case and take care of it yourself. Let the baggage delivery service handle the non-wheeled case. It will be delivered to your hotel and you can have a bell person bring it to your room.

I used Bags VIP a few months ago on a trip to NYC. I checked a bag and didn't want to hassle with it on the subway. I did hang around in the baggage claim area until I saw the courier pick up the bag. The charge was about $29 and worth it to me. I'm sure there are more delivery services in LAS, but Bags VIP has been in business for several years and they do a lot of business in LAS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.