Consolidated "Scenic taxi scam/longhauling - experiences, how to stop" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Scenic taxi scam/longhauling - experiences, how to stop" thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2013, 3:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/audit-...194818083.html
Clark County taxicab drivers taking tourists on the scenic route to and from the airport overcharged their passengers an estimated $14.8 million last year, according to a legislative audit released Monday.

The report said the state Taxicab Authority needs to do more to prevent these roundabout rides, which are meant to run up the meter and accounted for 22.5 percent of the 2,730 airport trips that auditors reviewed.

"Taxicab trips are often the first and last experience tourists have in Las Vegas," auditors wrote. "Therefore, long hauling may result in tourists having a negative experience."
Old Apr 23, 2013, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Most taxi drivers in Vegas will not understand "negative experience".
Old Apr 23, 2013, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Most taxi drivers in Vegas will not understand "negative experience".
Yeah, the guy who longhauled me was acting like it was my fault for not telling him not to take the tunnel! Yeah, I didn't say anything when he did it because at that point the damage is done.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 10:28 pm

While I've taken a taxi to the airport, I've never taken one from the airport partly for this reason. I'll know what to say if I need to, but I think a lot of people just aren't informed or are focusing on other aspects of their trip and are susceptible to getting long-hauled... which is too bad. Its also sad taxis have to do this to try to make ends meet, but that still doesn't give them the right to exploit customers.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was long-hauled to the Planet Hollywood a year or two ago; I wasn't paying attention when we left the terminal, and next thing you know she turns right, into the tunnel.
Upon arrival I told her I wasn't paying the metered amount, but only what I thought it would have cost if we took Swenson to Harmon. She gave me some silly (sob?) story, but I couldn't understand her through her heavy accent. She didn't seem ready to call the cops or anything, so I paid and just went on my way.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Long-hauling - the illegal practice of a cab driver taking the long-route to boost a fare - is not unique to Vegas but it is an epidemic. A 2013 audit by the state legislature found that passengers were overcharged an estimate of $15 million in 2012 and that nearly 1 in 4 cab rides from the airport to The Strip were fleeced for more money than they should have paid, turning what should be a $15 ride into a $50 one.
Airport to the Strip? I'd be shocked if it was only one in four.

If they really wanted to end this, the guy managing the cabs at the airport could simply hand out a sheet of paper, similar to the way they do at the NYC airports, explaining options.

Mike
Old May 7, 2013, 11:33 am

Programs: HP/US Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
I’ve been to LV many times and feel kinda stupid posting this.

Last time there, my buddy and I jump in cab bound for Aria. Before I know it, we’re on the freeway and the fare is like $33. I’m pissed and know I was taken on the scenic tour. Was barely able refrain from causing a real issue for the driver but thankfully thought the better of it.

Q : How best to stop this? What phrase/direction do you give cabbies to know you’re not interested in a scenic tour of LV and just want to get to your hotel ASAP.

What are typical taxi fares (medium traffic) between LAS > MGM, LAS>Bellagio, and LAS>Wynn? Roughly the same on return?

Thanks all
Don't say anything, wait until you arrive then have the bellhop call the taxi cab authority.
Old May 7, 2013, 1:51 pm

I think there are several things that should be changed to make the Taxi system better in Las Vegas... but these companies running the cabs are likely making a good amount of money and therefore don't want to jepordize their income.

The best way to stop the scam is to be knowledgable, pay attention, and know your rights in this situation.
Old May 19, 2013, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by mikeef
Airport to the Strip? I'd be shocked if it was only one in four.

If they really wanted to end this, the guy managing the cabs at the airport could simply hand out a sheet of paper, similar to the way they do at the NYC airports, explaining options.

Mike
Or at least post a sign stating "typical rates"
Old May 19, 2013, 11:41 pm

Programs: QFF, Velocity, Asiana
Or a 'fixed fare' system I've seen in some cities, where the airport to the hotel district is exactly a certain amount. Then everyone knows exactly how much before they even get in and there's no advantage to trying to 'long haul'.
Old May 20, 2013, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by Sea-Wolf
Or a 'fixed fare' system I've seen in some cities, where the airport to the hotel district is exactly a certain amount. Then everyone knows exactly how much before they even get in and there's no advantage to trying to 'long haul'.
Also a good idea. Although I'm sure the las vegas taxi lobby is well entrenched in policy making.
Old May 20, 2013, 11:03 am

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by Sea-Wolf
Many other cities do this.

Vegas could do this for the strip hotels by setting can fare based on zones on the strip and other popular hotels people travel to off the strip.
Old May 25, 2013, 2:56 pm

What should be approx rate from airport to Bellagio or airport to Vdara? (2 people)
Old May 25, 2013, 10:02 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by jmsnyc
What should be approx rate from airport to Bellagio or airport to Vdara? (2 people)
About $17 plus tip
Old May 27, 2013, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by aamilesslave
About $17 plus tip
Thanks. So when I get in, is it best to say no tunnel/no highway?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.