Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Korean Air | SkyPass
Reload this Page >

Now that S Korea dropped their mask mandate…

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2023, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Will Korean Air follow suit? I assume they’ll still require masks, since South Korea is still mandating them on “public transport” but I’ve yet to see anything definitive from a government source that includes airplanes as “public transport”.

If the government decrees that airplanes do fall under that category, then I assume we’ll see a situation like we did with Germany and Spain where international carriers will not require them but national flag carriers (like Korean Air) will still mandate them. Any insight or thoughts?
LuckyStrike likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2023, 9:02 am

It’s going to be a very gradual and slow process I’m afraid.
Even if airplanes don’t count as public transport (although almost certain they will), Korean carriers will be very slow to make a move IMO.

People got used to wearing a mask here and most people still wear it outside.

Hopefully it changes soon.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 2:23 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Korea still requires masks on public transit, buses, taxis, AND AIRPLANES. So, Korean Air and Asiana will never drop it. Actually, I called KE today and their phone line announcement said you need a mask for CHECK IN, BOARDING, and ON THE PLANE. Masks are not required inside the airport areas.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 12:12 pm

I'm hoping KE drops the mask requirement for my upcoming flight.

Of course on an airplane you can take it off to eat and drink. If it were truly hazardous the mask would stay on the entirety of the flight. In a Pu239 atmosphere I don't take off my mask to sip some water.

For the record I'm a professional respirator wearer. I'm trained and fit tested (quantitative not qualitative). Surgeons mask just stop spittle, not viruses. Don't get me started.
Winterpeg007 likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2023, 6:12 am

Programs: Delta PL, Hilton Diamond
Flew KAL yesterday: Feb 9, 2023: MNL-ICN-ATL. Face masks required the entire way. I found KAL Prestige class to be somewhat nicer than Delta One, but the mask mandates were the fly in KAL's ointment, so to speak.
Old Feb 13, 2023, 10:58 am

Programs: Alaska 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, *A Gold w/ Krisflyer Gold
Following for my family's flights in March and April. How strict do they tend to be w/ enforcement? ANA for example still makes the announcement but doesn't wake up anyone who's sleeping (in business class, at least) whose mask falls off.
Old Feb 13, 2023, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by 18wheeler_vanrekt
Following for my family's flights in March and April. How strict do they tend to be w/ enforcement? ANA for example still makes the announcement but doesn't wake up anyone who's sleeping (in business class, at least) whose mask falls off.
Comparatively very strict, however it may still vary depending on the FA. I got told in F to put my mask on.
But on the other hand recently had a flight in J where nobody said a thing.

The general rule would be to expect strict enforcement outside of meal-times.
Old Feb 18, 2023, 3:00 am

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by 18wheeler_vanrekt
I was told once during a 15hr flight in F
Old Mar 6, 2023, 8:13 am

Programs: Alaska 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, *A Gold w/ Krisflyer Gold
So now that Cathay Pacific (one of the former strictest mask places) dropped their mandate in sync w/ the gov’t and Japan is poised to drop on March 13th… any update here? Will KoreanAir really be the last one to fold? My family won’t stop complaining to me that they’ll have to wear one on our flights towards the end of this month
Jon of Brooklyn likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 5:27 pm

Programs: ALL Gold, MPC Silver
Nope, there are still a lot of people here deathly scared of COVID and it's still required for public transport in Korea
Old Mar 9, 2023, 9:05 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Bonvoy Platinum, HH Gold
Just flew KE657 ICN-BKK...they were definitely enforcing masks. Given this was an A380 and I was in Y after coming off Delta One from ATL, I wasn't complaining...forgot how many people are in that darn plane!
Old Mar 10, 2023, 4:02 am

Just announced that a lift of the mask mandate in all public transport might be announced by the government next week.

it would then be implemented from 20th March. Let’s see.
Old Mar 14, 2023, 8:53 pm

Korea Herald article

"South Korea will lift the mask mandate for public transportation starting on March 20, the government announced Wednesday."
"The types of public transportation where people are no longer required to wear masks include public buses, school buses, the subway, KTX, taxis and airplanes."
Old Mar 14, 2023, 10:29 pm

Programs: Walmart Super Elite
Excellent news! Thanks for the update.
Old Mar 16, 2023, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by LuckyStrike
Korea Herald article

"South Korea will lift the mask mandate for public transportation starting on March 20, the government announced Wednesday."
"The types of public transportation where people are no longer required to wear masks include public buses, school buses, the subway, KTX, taxis and airplanes."
Thank you for this!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.