Wiki Posts
Search

Fee/Fuel Sticker Shock

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2022, 5:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Fee/Fuel Sticker Shock

After a couple years of going nowhere I am now thinking about using my KE miles.

First shock was availability in March is much less than before. Very little P or E.
Second shock was it looks like a new (devalued) chart will come in March, 2023, so best I use the miles before then.
Third shock is the fuel charge. I expected one, but 125,000+$800 for a roundtrip Japan-Seattle is about double the fees I expected.

Last edited by JapanFlyerT; Aug 5, 2022 at 12:34 am
Old Aug 5, 2022, 2:44 pm

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Globalist / United Silver
Originally Posted by JapanFlyerT
After a couple years of going nowhere I am now thinking about

I think that's just the nature of traveling post-2020.

US based airlines are asking 3-500k miles RT for that.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by samwise6222

Not always. AA redemptions on AAdvantage partner carriers have fixed redemption rates. Here's a TYO-SEA roundtrip in March for 140,000 AA miles plus $50 in taxes. The outbound is in JL Business; the return (which requires a connection in LAX) is in JL First.

Old Aug 5, 2022, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by samwise6222

You are right in that (most) business class seats are high, but if I stoop to economy, roundtrip is 70,000-80,000 miles +$70 on United/Star Alliance. The mileage on KE is about the same, but fuel/fees again is $800.

I might bite the bullet though if only to have a chance to burn the miles before the March 2023 devaluation.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 9:55 pm

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Even cash - going to Bangkok for my bday in October. ICN-BKK round trip. The actual fare is like 400 something, and the taxes and fuel fees alone are 300 something. But, ultimately, for miles it's either use them or don't. And calculate the cash price of the same flight on KE in the same class. I can guarantee that in business, even if you spend the miles AND account for their cash value PLUS fuel feesl, it's still cheaper than if you paid cash for it haha.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.