Search

Korean Air Elite Status

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2019, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Korean Air Elite Status

I'm trying to get a second opinion on my plan before I proceed with it. I thought DL would make the most sense for ST program due to the generous MQM crediting from MU. Which program is the easiest to get ST Elite Plus? Given I fly with MU and I have DL AMEX, I think this may be the best plan, but I just learned about the KE's program. Unless I'm mistaken, I just need 500k to get lifetime ST Elite plus with them? For a second there, I thought this was similar to OZ's program, but then I also need to fly KE metal in order to obtain status? When I do fly within the US, I do prefer DL so from that stand point, I thought I nailed down on the program of choice, but I do fly across the Pacific more than I do within the US. What do you guys think?
Old Aug 4, 2019, 8:10 pm

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
KE SkyTeam Elite Plus is VERRRRRRRRRRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY hard to get. It's just ABSURDLY ABSURDLY high the mileage needed. But it is forever.

The exact terms from their website:

Morning Calm Premium Club Qualification

• 500,000 or more miles on Korean Air and/or other SkyTeam Alliance airlines
Note: The following are excluded from qualifying for the Morning Calm Premium Club — miles earned with non-SkyTeam partner airlines and other partner companies such as credit cards, miles earned from promotions and events.

The difference is that - for regular Morning Calm Club (Sky Team Elite) - you need 30k Korean Air (that means you fly on a KE number and a KE plane), then 20k cards/partners. So even if you fly a DL flight number that is a KE plane - you get partner credit. Same to renew it (20k Korean, 10k partner/card). For lifetime collection, that distinction doesn't matter.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikesaidyes
KE SkyTeam Elite Plus is VERRRRRRRRRRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY hard to get. It's just ABSURDLY ABSURDLY high the mileage needed. But it is forever.

The exact terms from their website:

Morning Calm Premium Club Qualification

• 500,000 or more miles on Korean Air and/or other SkyTeam Alliance airlines
Note: The following are excluded from qualifying for the Morning Calm Premium Club — miles earned with non-SkyTeam partner airlines and other partner companies such as credit cards, miles earned from promotions and events.

The difference is that - for regular Morning Calm Club (Sky Team Elite) - you need 30k Korean Air (that means you fly on a KE number and a KE plane), then 20k cards/partners. So even if you fly a DL flight number that is a KE plane - you get partner credit. Same to renew it (20k Korean, 10k partner/card). For lifetime collection, that distinction doesn't matter.
Can you please elaborate? Other carriers have million miles plus so how is this very hard?
Old Aug 6, 2019, 2:06 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Originally Posted by lsquare
Can you please elaborate? Other carriers have million miles plus so how is this very hard?
It's hard because most people that post here in the KE forum are not hardcore road warriors.....like say those on DL forum. I know what you mean, but most people post here "in passing" so for most it's "verrrrrry hard" :-)
Old Aug 8, 2019, 12:05 am

Programs: AS MVPG75k, AA Plat
I'm trying to get a second opinion on my plan before I proceed with it. I thought DL would make the most sense for ST program due to the generous MQM crediting from MU. Which program is the easiest to get ST Elite Plus? Given I fly with MU and I have DL AMEX, I think this may be the best plan, but I just learned about the KE's program. Unless I'm mistaken, I just need 500k to get lifetime ST Elite plus with them? For a second there, I thought this was similar to OZ's program, but then I also need to fly KE metal in order to obtain status? When I do fly within the US, I do prefer DL so from that stand point, I thought I nailed down on the program of choice, but I do fly across the Pacific more than I do within the US. What do you guys think?
If you are based in a non-MU hub, or better still, outside of PRC, then Flying Blue status should be the easiest to earn. If not, then go ahead and accrue with Skypass. Skypass status is a bit paradoxical though, like if you're flying J all the time, you don't need the status, and if you're flying Y, you won't get any status until the 500k mark which is tough, to say the least.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Unionruler
If you are based in a non-MU hub, or better still, outside of PRC, then Flying Blue status should be the easiest to earn. If not, then go ahead and accrue with Skypass. Skypass status is a bit paradoxical though, like if you're flying J all the time, you don't need the status, and if you're flying Y, you won't get any status until the 500k mark which is tough, to say the least.
I plan on flying MU a lot cuz of their low prices to China. Why would I want to credit that to FB instead of DL? Also just learned that KL and AF flights are 100% MQM with DL.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 1:45 am

Programs: AS MVPG75k, AA Plat
I plan on flying MU a lot cuz of their low prices to China. Why would I want to credit that to FB instead of DL? Also just learned that KL and AF flights are 100% MQM with DL.
Have you seen how easy FB XP are to earn with proper planning? Lifetime FB Plat is only 10 years of straight Platinum, and they roll over XPs so you don't waste a single XP. That means you enjoy status most of the way, and once you're at 3,280 lifetime XPs you have status for life.
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Unionruler
Have you seen how easy FB XP are to earn with proper planning? Lifetime FB Plat is only 10 years of straight Platinum, and they roll over XPs so you don't waste a single XP. That means you enjoy status most of the way, and once you're at 3,280 lifetime XPs you have status for life.
No. Can you elaborate?

My plan was to achieve and maintain *A Goldwith OZ and then credit my remaining flights to DL. Why DL? The miles don’t expire and status is only useful with the carrier I’m flying with. I probably won’t see much benefits with my *A Gold within North America. So given DL’s strength, I thought that was a no-brainer. Plus I signed up for a DL card to help boost MQM. I’m opened to critique and new ideas though cuz I haven’t credited a MU flight to DL yet. I can still change course.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.