Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Korean Air | SkyPass
Reload this Page >

KE swapped planes on us (and times)... so annoyed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2018, 8:13 am
Original Poster

Knew this might happen, but sucks non-the-less...

Was on KE26 from SFO to ICN in April with a 777-300ER and the new Kosmo suite. Got an email today that they adjusted the time from12:50 to 12:10am which sucks as it is (we're heading to the airport strait from our wedding, so we'll have to leave earlier now), but when I log in to my account I noticed they swapped for a 787-9, with the business class like sleeper first class. Ugh.

Anyways... rant over. Just needed to vent.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 2:09 pm

yea, i'm in the same boat but i'm going ICN-SFO in May. They switched up the plane from 777-300er to a 787-9. BUT the other flight for the same day changed to a 747-8! I just moved up my flight 4 hours earlier and now am on the 747-8. If you booked an award flight, there shouldn't be a change fee.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 4:13 pm

Welcome, Byip1012.

OP's schedule might be tight but yes, I would also consider changing it to the next day's mid-day flight. 748 First class must be awesome, although too private for newly weds. Feel sorry for OP who organized this trip months ago asking several questions. He/she has every rights to rant.

748 runs from May 1st.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 9:07 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, BA Silver, AC, AF/KL, AV, VS | Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
I got two changes on my trip this morning: HKG-ICN was upgauged to the 748 (yay) but ICN-SFO was downgauged to the 789 (boo). Because of scheduling I can't make the 16:00 departure from ICN, which is still a 77W, so I just switched my destination to LAX on the A380. I know it isn't the same as the Kosmo Suite 2 but at least it isn't 2x2x2.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 12:54 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 100K | Delta Diamond | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Diamond
OP I feel your pain! Had two holds on KE54 (HNL-ICN) in early July which was downgraded from 748 to 777. Looks like the 748 is now flying from SFO and ATL to ICN now but we would have to push our flight back one day to snag a flight with availability for two (one less day on vacation in Asia, boo).

I know having read up on KE that they love to swap aircraft all the time but this seems like a much more broad shift than I was expecting. Does anyone have any insight as to how often large scale swaps like this happen on KE and how close in to travel date is considered “safe” to avoid these types of swaps (barring one-off equipment changes, etc.) - are these a quarterly occurrence, semiannual, something else?

This would be my first time on a 747 and I was understandable super excited, wanting to sit in the nose of the plane in 1A/J, etc. Had bought tickets on AS for SEA-OAK-HNL but looks like I’ll be putting that towards getting to SFO or ATL instead. But I can’t help but think it will happen again and the HNL flight will switch back to a 748 (or it will switch from ATL/SFO to somewhere else). Have also debated just flying LAX-ICN on the A380 and calling it a day and trying to snag seats on a 747 another time (A380 would also be a first for me, though I will be flying in Etihad’s First Apartment two weeks later).

Any insight/thoughts would be appreciated.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 11:10 pm

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
It sucks, but Korean Air changes planes seasonally, not so much like right before your flight. It's generally set except for sudden last minute emergencies. That's Asiana that will change a plane within two hours of departure haha.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 11:46 am

My flight in April from ICN to BKK got planes swapped from 777-300ER 2-3-2 configuration to 747-400 upper deck for business class.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA MP, NW WP, AA
My ICN-NRT in March got "upgraded" from a A330 to a 748! KIX-ICN in April from a A330 to a 777.

Now if they swap either of my LAX-ICN or ICN-LAX from a A380 to 748....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.