Community
Wiki Posts
Search

War tension?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2017, 9:33 am
Original Poster

War tension?

I have a trip planned connecting through ICN on 10/21 using Korean Air. Should I be worried about the current political situation? Is anyone rebooking flights or changing awards based on the current situation with 🇰🇵 and 🇺🇸? Anyone have a recommended plan of action?
Old Sep 25, 2017, 10:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriot LTP, Hyatt Globalist
My sister and I are flying through ICN on the 11th of October. I'm mildly anxious about it, but not enough to change our plans.

And welcome to FT!
Old Sep 25, 2017, 11:19 am

Programs: UA Global Services 1MM,, AA Exec Plat. Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Scheduled for early November trip to ICN/Seoul and thinking the same...

This is a leisure trip and wondering if it makes sense to re-route to somewhere else in Asia.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 11:29 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
I wouldn't have any hesitation. The chances of something happening are tiny. You're taking a far bigger risk driving to the airport at home
Old Sep 25, 2017, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG PLAT 100
I would be more worried about NRT than ICN.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 3:59 pm

If the powers-that-be were truly planning to strike the Norks, you'd be seeing reports of materiel being massed in the region to support such activity. The media organs are not breathlessly reporting such as that; they're getting worked up over someone's tweets. Go and enjoy, be glad others might be dissuaded.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 7:04 pm

Programs: Skyteam
Kimjung's threats of nukes are only thing he has left for his family to hold on to power and short on cash. Without it, he'd be just like Sadam and Qadafi. If he shoots, game is over for him. I bet Koreas will united within next 10 years.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 7:44 pm

Programs: ALL Gold, MPC Silver
Originally Posted by Bruns
I have a trip planned connecting through ICN on 10/21 using Korean Air. Should I be worried about the current political situation? Is anyone rebooking flights or changing awards based on the current situation with ���� and ����? Anyone have a recommended plan of action?
The most recent press conference put out by NK's foreign minister indicates that NK has absolutely no options now except for releasing dubious press releases. Parading the B1 bombers was the Trump admin's way of calling NK's bluff and NK's military could do nothing about it.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 8:35 pm

Programs: AY, SQ, EK
Originally Posted by Bruns
I have a trip planned connecting through ICN on 10/21 using Korean Air. Should I be worried about the current political situation? Is anyone rebooking flights or changing awards based on the current situation with 🇰🇵 and 🇺🇸? Anyone have a recommended plan of action?
Connecting through - I think you might be ok.

I will be arriving at ICN on 21/10 for a long weekend - actually this is a timely reminder to get those flights booked finally.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 8:49 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
I've got a trip to ICN next month and am thinking about buying some short term life insurance from one of those airport insurance counters just before departure.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 11:12 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat ANA Plat
I spend 1 week a month in Korea, no plans to change, they way most people I talk to there see it is that no one wants a war, its a lose/lose situation, their main worry is not the North but the totally unpredictable Trump, he could set things off even if he does not really mean to . If NK do unlease something it would more probably aimed at Japan ( where I spend the other 3 weeks ! ) or Guam, but unlikely to be SK.

Big BUT, the world is pushing the North into a corner, they may be a poor country but have an huge military, think how long it has taken to not yet win over ISIS and this will be a far tougher deal, unless at first strike the complete military rolls over, also possible !
Old Oct 1, 2017, 11:28 pm

Programs: Marriott
Your concern is warranted. I have the same issue for an April 2018 departure.

If war was predictable, for flight changes, it wouldn't be war.

Hope the flight works out for you.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 1:08 am

Programs: AY, SQ, EK
I guess going by probabilities, Seoul is much safer than any city in the US. Still intend to visit the US for Thanksgiving or Xmas.

We all have our biases when it comes down to making decisions.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 5:49 am

There is absolutely no worry or anxiety among the Korean people and most people are relatively uninterested in the situation and it barely makes the news there.

This is because Kim Jong Un is doing exactly what he is supposed to do - everybody expects him to make threats to keep himself in power. He is very predictable, despite what is reported in western media.

The unpredictable element at this stage is actually the current US administration, though I think its likely that the US becomes more predictable in foreign policy, the more tensions will ease off, not the other way around.

As it is, day to day life continues as normal and Seoul remains one of the safest cities on the world and there is no reason to have qualms unless Washington or Seoul start giving notice.
zippy the pinhead likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.