Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booking Skypass Miles On Line

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2017, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Booking Skypass Miles On Line

Can any of you folks, who have utilized Skypass miles for travel on Korean, tell me why the airline does not seem to allow booking on line for travel from cities other than gateway cities? I can book Atlanta/Bangkok on line using my Skypass miles, but cannot book Orlando/Bangkok even though Korean has a drop down menu showing Orlando as a valid city for booking purposes. Atlanta is a gateway city and Orlando is not. With Delta one can book Skymiles Orlando/Bangkok on line. Or from any other airport in the US.

Since I can't check on line, I'm not able to determine if the Skypass miles required Orlando/Bangkok are the same or more than Atlanta/Bangkok. I know with Delta that the miles required are the same from any city in the US. Don't know if Korean works the same.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 10:40 am

You can book and search online. Check 'skyteam award' instead of 'korean air award' at the award booking tab if you want to search out of MCO.

Skyteam award pricing is different from KE-only award. For instance, US-BKK is 85k/150k (Y/C, roundtrip) with only KE but 90k/155k when any other skyteam airline is added.

Unlike DL, KE (and most other airlines) offer a transparent award chart on the website. And DL may charge differently for MCO-BKK and ATL-BKK. Solely-KE ATL-BKK costs 40k/95k (Y/C, oneway) while if DL is mixed, it goes down to 35k/80k.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 9:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bobbybrown
You can book and search online. Check 'skyteam award' instead of 'korean air award' at the award booking tab if you want to search out of MCO.

Skyteam award pricing is different from KE-only award. For instance, US-BKK is 85k/150k (Y/C, roundtrip) with only KE but 90k/155k when any other skyteam airline is added.

Unlike DL, KE (and most other airlines) offer a transparent award chart on the website. And DL may charge differently for MCO-BKK and ATL-BKK. Solely-KE ATL-BKK costs 40k/95k (Y/C, oneway) while if DL is mixed, it goes down to 35k/80k.
Appreciate the information. Who would know that KAL does it this way? They certainly don't advise this on their website.
Old May 1, 2017, 7:26 am
Original Poster

They also do something else that is very irritating. If I want to fly one way via business class from a gateway city like Atlanta to Bangkok on Korean I can use Skypass miles for that. If I want to fly one way business class from Orlando using Skyteam (Delta from Orlando to Atlanta, Korean Atlanta - Bangkok) I have to book a round trip ticket. Apparently you can't book one way if the connecting flight is only a short distance such as Orlando/Atlanta. The more I rue the day I ever started to amass Skypass mileage. Should have stuck with Delta Skymiles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.