Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Korean Air | SkyPass
Reload this Page >

unable to select seats when booked on T

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2017, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA

Hey guys, so I was told by my travel agent that if I book a flight under the T fare code, I wont be able to select seats until I show up at the airport. Is that really true?
Old Apr 27, 2017, 11:26 pm

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
T fare is just a discounted sale fare. You should call Korean Air OR if your Skypass account is tied to the reservation, you can log into your Skypass account online and select a seat. You can select a seat 331 days before the reservation.

For choosing a seat, keep in mind they only open 50% of the plane for online selection before check in. At web check in time, the other 50% opens. That being said, most Asian passengers/Korean travelers do NOT do web check in usually.

If you want Exit Row, you have to get that early at the airport. Not possible in advance.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 11:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA
Thank you. I appreciate the advice. Not sure why my travel agent told I that I could not select seats on T fare. I'll call Korean when the booking is complete. It's actually part of a larger itinerary so my AAdvantage number is tied to it not my Skypass number.
Old May 1, 2017, 12:11 am

Effective 24APR, for flights departing on/after 10MAY, you can no longer select a seat in advance on T and N classes.

It was reported on Korean news but not sure whether they communicated anything in English.
Old May 1, 2017, 12:33 am

Good to know. I really should start following Aviation News in Korean. As much as I check Western blogs, I haven't actually made the change to the Korean ones. Habit, habit, habit.

Sure enough:

http://biz.newdaily.co.kr/news/article.html?no=10130671

There's actually nothing on their website in English or Korean about the change under the News/Notifications section.
Old May 29, 2017, 5:52 am

This is to confirm that Korean Air website no longer allows advance seat reservation for discounted tickets. Just got my Economy (N) tickets and tried to select a seat - website throws up a message that the facility is not available for that particular fare. Web check in is however available 24 hours prior to departure - I assume one can choose a seat then.
Old May 30, 2017, 12:27 am

Overall, I wouldn't worry too much about this. I know as American/European travelers, we are used to locking in that seat at purchase and really making sure it sticks.

Most travelers on Korean Air/Asian airlines don't actually do web check-in or advance seat selection, unless their travel agent does it for them. They literally just show up and get the seat at the airport.

Also, with Korean Air, they only release 50% of their seats for advance selection. At web check-in time, they open up the whole cabin as they do at the airport. So, in theory, as long as you go to web check-in to lock in your seat, you won't be stuck in the back or in the middle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.