Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Korean Air | SkyPass
Reload this Page >

ICN- JFK F service depending on time of departure

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2017, 12:56 pm
zzm
Original Poster

I've searched quite a bit online for more information, but have not been able to find anything in depth. Does anyone know how the F service differs between the day and night flights from ICN to JFK in first class? I'm specifically referring to the service differences between KE 81 and KE 85.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 2:59 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Daytime for a full service experience. For instance, at night departure, they serve a meal right after take off, but you can't really enjoy it as much because everyone wants to sleep.

You can see the service schedule here:

https://www.koreanair.com/korea/ko/t...-americas.html

You'll see that both flights serve a meal after departure and then also around hour 6-7.

Also, personally, I find that the jet lag from the daytime flight is much better. You can leave on normal American time, enjoy your afternoon on the plane. I always take a sleeping pill after the first meal and sleep around 5-6 hours. Then you land in Seoul in the evening and it's just a short while to stay awake before bedtime. Typically, the jetlag is gone right away.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 7:49 pm
formerly RZachSmith

Reviving this thread, as my wife and I have just made an award booking in F for KE86 (the 12:50am departure). I had seen this thread, but for our preferred travel date range the 2pm wasn't available.

This is our first time flying KE F, and I've seen the service schedule that shows them serving the second meal mid-flight. I'm hopeful that in F the service is a bit more "dine on demand" such that we could sleep a bit more and have the second meal 2-3 hours before arrival. Can anyone share their experience on if this is something the flight attendants are usually willing to accommodate?

Hoping we can enjoy a meal and a couple glasses of champagne, then get as much rest as possible so that we can power through a full first day in Seoul after the early AM arrival.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 1:17 am

Programs: UA 1MM Gold AA Gold NW Silver Marriott Plat. SPG Plat. Hilton Gold Hertz 5 Star
Originally Posted by RZachSmith
Reviving this thread, as my wife and I have just made an award booking in F for KE86 (the 12:50am departure). I had seen this thread, but for our preferred travel date range the 2pm wasn't available.

This is our first time flying KE F, and I've seen the service schedule that shows them serving the second meal mid-flight. I'm hopeful that in F the service is a bit more "dine on demand" such that we could sleep a bit more and have the second meal 2-3 hours before arrival. Can anyone share their experience on if this is something the flight attendants are usually willing to accommodate?

Hoping we can enjoy a meal and a couple glasses of champagne, then get as much rest as possible so that we can power through a full first day in Seoul after the early AM arrival.
I recently took the 12:50a departure. I was pleased to have the same rose champagne that they serve at the 2p departure. I passed out at the beginning of the flight and when I woke up, they served me my meal. So at least in F, I think it will be alright.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by chichow
I recently took the 12:50a departure. I was pleased to have the same rose champagne that they serve at the 2p departure. I passed out at the beginning of the flight and when I woke up, they served me my meal. So at least in F, I think it will be alright.
Good to know. How was the main meal - similar to afternoon flight or reduced?
Old Jul 24, 2017, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Rose? Not the blanc-de-blanc?
Old Aug 3, 2017, 2:25 am
formerly RZachSmith

For those who may be curious in the future -

Early Monday morning my wife and I flew on KE86. The First Class wine list must have changed somewhat recently, as it now lists only 2 potential champagne options in First:
  • Perrier-Jouet Belle Epoque Rose 2005 - Available on all Trans-Pacific, Europe, and Middle East flights
  • Perrier-Jouset Blason Rose - Available on Southeast Asia and Oceania flights

So there is no longer an A380 specific Blanc de Blancs, however there is still the Cateau Rieussec 2013, available only on A380 flights (and it was quite tasty).

All of this said, there was a note somewhere in the menu (I failed to get a picture, unfortunately) that said "Champagne service is not available on late night departures" or something to that effect. Indeed, when I asked for champagne after we took off, the only thing they were able to offer me was Perrier-Jouet Grand Brut, which I believe is the usual Business Class offering?

If I had to guess, based on the previous report in this thread of the Belle Epoque Rose being available, they probably only cater if for KE85 on the way over ICN-JFK, and if they have an unopened bottle they'll use it for KE86 but otherwise you're out of luck? Or it depends on whether the crew wants to make it available?

Otherwise, despite the condensed "supper" menu, my wife and I both very much enjoyed our dinners, and service throughout the flight was very friendly. Just don't get your hopes up for the nicest champagne or caviar service on the late flight.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 10:05 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Gold AA Gold NW Silver Marriott Plat. SPG Plat. Hilton Gold Hertz 5 Star
Originally Posted by PresRDC
Rose? Not the blanc-de-blanc?
They switched to a Rose
Old Aug 9, 2017, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
They switched to a Rose
Thanks. Yes, had that on KE 082 yesterday. I only had the b-de-b once a few years ago, so I cannot make a proper comparison, but I enjoyed the rose. A lot.

Not looking forward to the other rose on tomorrow's SYD flight.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 3:30 pm

Programs: AA, SPG
FWIW, I just landed in ICN after taking KE86. While the menu does have the disclaimer that champagne service is not offered on late-night flights, I asked if they had champagne when they came around to take dinner and drink orders. They said that they did, and I was served the Perrier-Jouet Belle Epoque Rose 2005 (which was fantastic).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.