Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RTW Help

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2017, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

RTW Help

My wife and I are planning to take a RTW trip this summer and we have accumulated 400K plus ultimate rewards points. Unfortunately, United cancelled their RTW fare back in October.

I've looked into the respective Ultimate Reward partners and their RTW arrangements. I don't see anything promising except for Korean Air. Does anyone have any suggestions on the best RTW booking option using Chase Ultimate Rewards? I'm looking to visit at least 10 cities (15 ideally), and need to make sure the airline partners with other airlines in order to give us the breadth we need.

Korean provides 6 stop overs and 9 transfers. Do you know what Korean considers a transfer? We have roughly 15 destinations we want to hit.

Thanks!
Old Feb 9, 2017, 4:47 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
As the questions are about Korean Air, will move this to that forum

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Feb 9, 2017, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ajohnson121
Korean provides 6 stop overs and 9 transfers. Do you know what Korean considers a transfer? We have roughly 15 destinations we want to hit.

Thanks!
Transfer is an industry standard term that refers to a change of flight number, regardless of the amount of time spent between flights. Stopover is another standard term -- a transfer that exceeds 24 hours (4 hours for domestic US, but that wouldn't apply here).

So, a 6-stopover, 9-transfer limit would allow you to stop 6 times for any length of time, plus up to three additional times for fewer than 24 hours (i.e., connections), subject to the validity of the ticket (1 year from issuance for most tickets, but KE may have different rules).

Long story short: you're going to need multiple awards -- or one award with multiple, paid side trips -- in order to make this work. FYI: UA's RTW award allowed 3-5 stopovers, IIRC. It wasn't going to be much more help than KE's, even if it still existed.

Sounds like fun though!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.