Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Korean Air | SkyPass
Reload this Page >

Korean air First class on 747-8i or a380 ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Korean air First class on 747-8i or a380 ?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2017, 5:21 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
I recently flew ICN-SFO on the 748 in 1J. I'd say the door is neither here nor there as far as the overall experience goes. The air vent *might* be a consideration depending on your comfort levels. I run hot so having a vent helped.

Outside of those two considerations and ignore scheduling convenience, I would think about the actual flying experience. I've found that flying the A380 feels rather like being a passenger on an overweight bus. If you're keen on flying in general, which by virtue of your presence here, I'm assuming you are, then lounging on a bed in the nose of a 747 for 13 hours might be the more enjoyable option.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 10:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by s0ssos
I am just pointimg out your statement is wrong. They do not lock the door "everytime". I even wonder if they do it much.

I just feel the 748 is a worse experience than the a380
You probably had bad crew I guess.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by TennisNoob
You probably had bad crew I guess.
Not as bad as Heather Cho's though i noticed they changed the procedure for nuts now).

I did wonder if it is a language issue or more than that, because Japanese airlines also have crews known for poor English but in my experience service is excellent. I went to use the bathroom but they told me it was occupied and to wait in my seat (no seatbelt sign, they may have suggested it as a more comfortable alternative). However they never came to tell me when the bathroom is available, and when I went again it was in use by another (non first class) passenger, as all the other passengers in first were in their seat.
Is it just a bad crew or do they have issues with communication in general?
Old Jan 6, 2017, 5:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Not as bad as Heather Cho's though i noticed they changed the procedure for nuts now).

I did wonder if it is a language issue or more than that, because Japanese airlines also have crews known for poor English but in my experience service is excellent. I went to use the bathroom but they told me it was occupied and to wait in my seat (no seatbelt sign, they may have suggested it as a more comfortable alternative). However they never came to tell me when the bathroom is available, and when I went again it was in use by another (non first class) passenger, as all the other passengers in first were in their seat.
Is it just a bad crew or do they have issues with communication in general?
Heather Cho is an exception just like Hanjin.

IME KE crew usually speaks better english than NH/JL. Both have great service but NH is better no question.

Simple hand gesture directing you to the bathroom should have done it without saying an word. So bad crew yes.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 7:09 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
I also had to make this decision and I just purchased by Award Ticket- I opted for the A380- I chose the A380 because of the Bar/Lounge access upstairs- I know sounds petty- But for a 13 hour flight- Having the option to go upstairs and hang at the bar for an hour or so was the reason I went with the A380 Also because I love TBIT @ LAX. Although the KE lounge which is a Priority Pass lounge is the worst lounge in that Terminal by far...
Old Feb 8, 2017, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by get0ffdanutzz
I also had to make this decision and I just purchased by Award Ticket- I opted for the A380- I chose the A380 because of the Bar/Lounge access upstairs- I know sounds petty- But for a 13 hour flight- Having the option to go upstairs and hang at the bar for an hour or so was the reason I went with the A380 Also because I love TBIT @ LAX. Although the KE lounge which is a Priority Pass lounge is the worst lounge in that Terminal by far...
Cool, I also ended up going for that. I would've loved to fly through SF and take the 747, but will try that another time I suppose. How was the load on your flight?
Old Jun 6, 2017, 10:08 pm

Has anyone recently flown first on the 777-300's with the old First Class? Assuming this is the Kosmo 1.0 so the same as the ones on the A380 right now? Same deal as the old First Class is like the new one, without the closed door and vent?

I am looking at flying ICN to ATL and I want to avoid the old 2-3-2 business class which seems to always be on this route still, so first looks like the best option.

I would love to be on the A380 for the bar or the 747 for the Kosmo 2.0 -- but I really would like to fly direct to Atlanta vs. connect and have the longer flight AND deal with finding award availability on Delta for the connection.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 12:54 am

Programs: UA 1MM Gold AA Gold NW Silver Marriott Plat. SPG Plat. Hilton Gold Hertz 5 Star
double post

Last edited by chichow; Jun 7, 2017 at 12:55 am Reason: double post
Old Jun 7, 2017, 12:55 am

Programs: UA 1MM Gold AA Gold NW Silver Marriott Plat. SPG Plat. Hilton Gold Hertz 5 Star
Originally Posted by jiaogulan
Has anyone recently flown first on the 777-300's with the old First Class? Assuming this is the Kosmo 1.0 so the same as the ones on the A380 right now? Same deal as the old First Class is like the new one, without the closed door and vent?

I am looking at flying ICN to ATL and I want to avoid the old 2-3-2 business class which seems to always be on this route still, so first looks like the best option.

I would love to be on the A380 for the bar or the 747 for the Kosmo 2.0 -- but I really would like to fly direct to Atlanta vs. connect and have the longer flight AND deal with finding award availability on Delta for the connection.

IMHO, there is less of a difference between the old F seat and the new F seat as there is a difference between the old J seat and the new J seat.

The new F seat is ultra private as you can close the door, but the catering the same. And there is a balance in that the new F seat is not available on the A380 which is a quieter and smoother flight than the 777 and the 748. Also the A380 has a bar which is nice to go to and sit and stretch and just have another place to sit.

The new J seat though is considered to be one of the best new J seats so I would consider trying to take a new J seat over a an older J seat. So if you can get a 777 with a new J seat definitely take that (6 seats across).
Old Jun 7, 2017, 2:31 am

Originally Posted by chichow
IMHO, there is less of a difference between the old F seat and the new F seat as there is a difference between the old J seat and the new J seat.

The new F seat is ultra private as you can close the door, but the catering the same. And there is a balance in that the new F seat is not available on the A380 which is a quieter and smoother flight than the 777 and the 748. Also the A380 has a bar which is nice to go to and sit and stretch and just have another place to sit.

The new J seat though is considered to be one of the best new J seats so I would consider trying to take a new J seat over a an older J seat. So if you can get a 777 with a new J seat definitely take that (6 seats across).
Thanks! Yep, I've heard amazing things about the APEX Suite (I think it's called that) - their new Business class hard product. Oman Air has I think on their 787s. Also, I think JAL has now, but don't quote me.

Regarding the First class products, the privacy with the door is nice, but I do not think is a huge deal on a route like to Atlanta where I bet first class is not full, so the cabin should still be pretty quiet and private.

Right now my best options seem to be:

- Fly direct to ATL on 777-300 with old business, so my best option there is to fly the old First class

- Fly indirect to somewhere like Chicago or Washington DC on a 777-300 with the new business, and at least I'll pay less miles in business vs. first.

Anyone know if the soft product on Korean Business vs. Korean First has a big difference?

I realize first world problem, just trying to decide if it's worth the extra miles for flying in the old First direct to Atlanta, or try the new, excellent Business to another city and connect. If the service is roughly the same on Korean First vs. Business, and I can include a connection on the same award ticket from Chicago, DC, SFO, etc. to Atlanta, then I may just take Business to those cities and save the miles.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 5:19 am

on KE F, u get pajamas, a slightly better amenity kit.
Also when I flew a few years back, they had caviar.
The food is plated better and probably more choices.
Of course F class is much more private.

The new Biz class seat is superb, especially on the window side.
If on 747, get one of the Upper deck seats.
If on 777, get seat 7A/J which is only a single row, sandwiched between F/Galley.
Very private feel.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 6:32 am

“Anyone know if the soft product on Korean Business vs. Korean First has a big difference?”

I think I recall getting caviar in F for the routes I have taken like LAX SFO JFK and if you are taking the dinner service route, you will get an option for a much more expensive champagne (is it better depends on whether you like that type of champagne). You also get pajamas and of course a lot a lot a lot more personal attention.
I don’t think there is any difference in the Korean meal option so if you are getting that then there is no advantage of F over J.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by chichow
“Anyone know if the soft product on Korean Business vs. Korean First has a big difference?”

I think I recall getting caviar in F for the routes I have taken like LAX SFO JFK and if you are taking the dinner service route, you will get an option for a much more expensive champagne (is it better depends on whether you like that type of champagne). You also get pajamas and of course a lot a lot a lot more personal attention.
I don’t think there is any difference in the Korean meal option so if you are getting that then there is no advantage of F over J.
Thanks, very helpful.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 2:25 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Here's a review on both.

https://www.pointhacks.com.au/review...lass-overview/

I personally chose the 747-8i for next Feb mainly for the more comfortable bed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.