Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Korean Air | SkyPass
Reload this Page >

21hr layover at ICN, check-in at Seoul Station

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2016, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM

I have a few questions, hoping you can help me out.

Traveling on KE from AKL-ICN-LAX on a single Delta business award ticket. I have a 21 hour layover at ICN, 6:00PM Thursday to 3:00PM Friday. Any reason to be concerned about checked bags for that long of a connection?

In an effort to avoid long lines at the airport, I'm hoping to check-in at the terminal at Seoul Station and take the express train to the airport. I've read that in order to do that I have to be on a KE flight. My flight numbers are KExxx, but I'm wondering if because it's a Delta award ticket that I won't be able to check-in there. Any ideas?

I'm staying at a hotel that's less than a mile from Seoul Station. Would you take the express train from ICN and then figure out how to get to the hotel, or take one of the KE buses that drops you off right at the hotel?
Old Jan 12, 2016, 4:49 pm

Programs: QF Bronze, OZ Diamond, KE
Not 100% sure, but I think you will be ok to check in at Seoul station. Your booking's on a KE flight, which I think is the main priority.

As for getting there, I would recommend the train over the bus. 6pm on a Thursday (6.30pm once you're out of the airport) is peak hour in Seoul and traffic will be manic.

Once you get to Seoul Station, if it's less than a mile you can walk (stations in Korea are well signposted with maps and well-staffed with people who can point you in the right way), or get the staff to write the address in Korean and take a taxi (will be a cheap trip, definitely less than US$5).
Old Jan 12, 2016, 6:56 pm

No problems with luggage checked through to LAX. Boarding passes should also all be issued in AKL. In this case, make use of Seoul Station immigration processing to skip massive lines at airport - but will need endorsement at KE counter at Seoul station check-in. Happy travels!
Old Jan 12, 2016, 9:19 pm

Programs: QF Bronze, OZ Diamond, KE
The immigration bit is easy. Once you have your boarding pass, before going to the train, enter the immigration booth (it's behind a set of automatic doors). When you go there, present your passport and boarding pass, and both will be stamped "SCAT". Then board the train.

Once you arrive at the airport, go to any security checkpoint, but use the crew/VIP side entrance (there will be staff there checking for the SCAT stamps).
Old Jan 12, 2016, 9:47 pm

Programs: OZ D+ Lifetime
Originally Posted by JoeBlowMSP

I'm staying at a hotel that's less than a mile from Seoul Station. Would you take the express train from ICN and then figure out how to get to the hotel, or take one of the KE buses that drops you off right at the hotel?
Depends if you have a lot of luggage. Let's assume your check-in luggage will be fine all the way to LAX and at most you have a carry-on or a backpack. Then taking the Express train to Seoul Station is a nice way into the city. Just be aware that you will be doing a bit of walking just to get to the train station at ICN and also when leaving Seoul Station. At Seoul Station, take your pick of cramming into an elevator with other passengers or riding 3 or 4 escalators to the surface. It might be good to take this if you want to be familiar with the station layout when you return the next day for the train ride back. Hint: At Seoul Station, the airport check-in area is on a different level than the All-Stop train to ICN. More info here. Also, you will need to purchase the train ticket before you check in. They won't allow you to check in without showing them your train ticket. Lastly the taxi driver might complain about taking you on such a short trip.

The KE airport limo bus is a good option if you have a lot of luggage. It also is a good way to see parts of the city while en route to your hotel. Traffic can back up a bit during the evening rush, but the drivers are used to this and will get you to the hotel. I estimate it will get to Seoul station area in about 1 or 1.5 hours. The bus is very luxurious. All of the seats are leather (or something similar to leather) and they recline. Also there is a cooler up front near the door that has small half pints of water.

As for me, I would rather go through traffic while sitting in a very comfortable bus instead of trying to get through a crowded train station and then waiting in line for a taxi during evening rush hour. It will probably be below freezing at that hour.

Last edited by nme7; Jan 14, 2016 at 9:24 pm
Old Jan 12, 2016, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

You also have to be at Seoul station 3 or more hours before your flight time. Anything under and they will refuse to take you.

Just give yourself enough time and the KE airport limo is great. No lugging bags to and from taxi through crowds and down to the B3. Just sit, relax and sleep if you want. Buy your bus tickets via onboard KE duty free sales and save a few bucks.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM
Thanks for all the great info! From your suggestions, I think I've settled on this as the plan.

Arrival
Buy the KE bus tickets onboard
Take the KE bus directly to the Westin Chosun

Departure
Get to Seoul station by 11:00 (4 hours before departure), check in and get boarding pass
Go through immigration and get on the train
Arrive at ICN and go through the crew/VIP security
Explore the airport or hit the KE lounge with whatever time is left

Only thing left to plan, is what to do after we get to the hotel, hopefully by 20:00. Thinking of venturing out on foot and maybe hitting, Myeongdong, Insadong or walking along Cheonggyecheon. We don't have much time in the morning, but might be able to go to Gyeongbokgung or Changdeokgung Palace for an hour.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.