Wiki Posts
Search

Air Rage incident during KE flight

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2013, 11:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OZ D+ Lifetime
Air Rage incident during KE flight

This was reported in the news in Korea recently.

News article can be found here.

The nation’s leading steelmaker POSCO dismissed on Monday an executive of its power generation subsidiary POSCO Energy, who reportedly physically and verbally abused a female flight attendant.

“The corresponding official has been dismissed from his current post and other follow-up measures will be implemented,” said a POSCO official. The disputed man, identified by his family name Wang, is known to be an executive director in the renewable energy sector of the POSCO subsidiary. The executive was recently denied entry into the United States after being accused of hitting a Korean Air flight attendant with a magazine, citing poor service, airline industry sources said Sunday. He claimed that the in-flight meals tasted bad and that ramen he ordered as a substitute was not properly cooked.

Amid growing public outrage, the company made an official apology on its website and blog, pledging to thoroughly investigate the case and to take stern measures as soon as possible. It also organized an emergency audit committee and summoned the man for in-person questioning, company officials said. Parent company POSCO, too, offered an apology online on behalf of the entire conglomerate. The public sentiment nevertheless worsened, especially as POSCO has always stressed the importance of ethical management and human-focused growth.

Controversy also arose over an air log, a chronological record of events allegedly written by one of the attendants on the flight. According to the file, which quickly spread through social networking sites, the man not only hit the attendant but used insulting and intimidating words all throughout the flight. Korean Air refrained from commenting on the log, claiming that its source was unidentified, but hinted that the content was all true.

While the alleged troublemaker is expected to face severe penalties, including possible dismissal, the coming legal process remains uncertain. Those who create a disturbance onboard a plane may be punished with a maximum fine of 5 million won ($4,500), according to the law. “We will take the case to the investigative authorities, should the flight attendant make the request,” said an official of the airline company.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 8:29 am

Programs: AA Plat /KE mc/OZ Diamond /Marriott gold/ SPG gold
the gentleman(?) or better termed doucheman resigned from the company after media backlash.

Korean Air should still charge that man, and do everything they can to set an example.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 2:15 pm

Programs: TG ROP Gold, Lifetime OZ Diamond Plus, BA Gold
Originally Posted by sunrider101
the gentleman(?)
Hey, he's simply a Psy-style gentleman. Oh wait, Psy's the new Asiana ambassador, not the KE ambassador.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 2:45 pm

It was actually quite amusing to watch the furore grow and grow to the point where it was the one of the top news stories in the Society section of Naver News for almost the entire week.

No sympathy from me.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 6:11 pm

Programs: DL, CX
Upon FA's request?
It looks like the case is closed with "the resignation" of Mr. W.
I am sure Mr. W will be working again in the near future around Posco or elsewhere.
And Asiana Airlines will get one more lucrative preminum class customer.

Originally Posted by nme7
“We will take the case to the investigative authorities, should the flight attendant make the request,” said an official of the airline company.[/I]

Last edited by deltaflyinglawyer; Apr 23, 2013 at 6:17 pm
Old Apr 23, 2013, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

That is true when the person involved usually takes the blame for some company problems, but this being a personal incident I hope he does not reappear in any of Posco's company or subsidiaries. Having said that, the MO stated by deltaflyinglawyer is usually the case.

If the FA press charges (and will probably win) I wonder if KE would put him on a blacklist. If so, then he will most likely start fly with OZ. That is something I hope does not happen.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 10:13 pm

Mr. Wang may even want to redeem his SkyPass miles on partner flights, not on KE's. His name is already known to all FAs. We may not be able to see his name on the passenger manifest of Korean Air for the time being.
He is welcome as a guest, nonetheless.

If the FA press charges (and will probably win) I wonder if KE would put him on a blacklist. If so, then he will most likely start fly with OZ. That is something I hope does not happen.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 10:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by deltaflyinglawyer
Mr. Wang may even want to redeem his SkyPass miles on partner flights, not on KE's. His name is already known to all FAs. We may not be able to see his name on the passenger manifest of Korean Air for the time being.
He is welcome as a guest, nonetheless.
Yes, I am sure there will be no passengers named Wang on Korean Air for many years....
Old Apr 23, 2013, 11:42 pm
Original Poster

Parodies of Mr. W

Koreans jokingly mention that Mr. W should start Posco's Ramen division.

Last edited by nme7; Apr 23, 2013 at 11:49 pm
Old Apr 24, 2013, 8:23 am

Programs: AA Plat /KE mc/OZ Diamond /Marriott gold/ SPG gold
Parodies of Mr. W

Koreans jokingly mention that Mr. W should start Posco's Ramen division.

somehow Posco (the company that he used to work at) paid enough money to some media to publish articles blaming Airbus 380 for his outburst..

suggesting, power supply of A380 is weaker than other airplanes, and water only boils to 80*C.. so ramen tasted bad.

really???
Old Apr 26, 2013, 10:30 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
somehow Posco (the company that he used to work at) paid enough money to some media to publish articles blaming Airbus 380 for his outburst..

suggesting, power supply of A380 is weaker than other airplanes, and water only boils to 80*C.. so ramen tasted bad.

really???
Big deal, I fly on CRJs that won't boil water at all. Still no justification for taking a swing at a flight attendant, or acting like a complete and total jackass. The man should be charged.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 1:57 pm

Programs: Skyteam

really???
It is true that you need to make ramen on highest heat quickly.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 10:02 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold
No sympathy from me. However, crew report about Mr. Wang's behavior has been revealed to the Internet all over minute by minute. Is this acceptable? I am wondering how it would turn out if detail has not been released to the Internet.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 2:54 am

Legally speaking, No. But most Koreans saw it as entertaining, nonetheless.

Originally Posted by jhyun
crew report about Mr. Wang's behavior has been revealed to the Internet all over minute by minute. Is this acceptable?
Old Apr 28, 2013, 12:27 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold
There was a rumor that Posco tried to file a complaint over KE because of a contract loss since Mr. Wang was not able to visit LA. Therefore, KE spread out the report in the Internet. Apparently it is just me since nobody was interested in the point that it is illegal to reveal the information. I don't think it is professional to release the report over the Internet.

Originally Posted by deltaflyinglawyer
Legally speaking, No. But most Koreans saw it as entertaining, nonetheless.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.