Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Korean Air | SkyPass
Reload this Page >

Does KE really check credit card at check in?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does KE really check credit card at check in?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2017, 12:28 pm

Red face

nervous bump -

If I'm flying the first leg of my flight (MSP-DFW) on a partner flight (American Airlines) will my credit card be checked at that point? Or will it be when I transfer to a KE flight (DFW-ICN)?

Thanks!
Old Feb 14, 2017, 8:49 pm

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Did you purchase the ticket on the Korean Air website? If so, you should prepare the credit card.

It was explained to me like this by the EVA and Interpark Travel Agency staff in Seoul. Interpark is a major travel site here in Korea. I bought a ticket for my friend and Interpark wanted me to prove we were family so it wasn't credit card fraud. I sent them a picture of my ID and my credit card. They approved the ticket.

I called EVA (in Korean, no language confusion in English haha) and they explained to me that, yes, EVA requires a credit card for tickets purchased from their site directly. When you buy from another airline, travel site, etc. the burden is on that other site if there is credit card fraud. That is why EVA doesn't check it because it's not their responsibility. Does this make sense?

So, if you're buying a KE ticket on Delta, Expedia, anywhere, they're not going to ask. The burden of fraud is on them, but typically these other companies don't have the same policy. If you buy from KE direct, they will check the card as it is their rule.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 8:50 pm

But also, since you are transferring, they're not going to do anything when you transfer. You're just going to go to that gate. You'll be fine, don't worry. American usually doesn't have the check card rule anyway.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 1:27 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, KE, AA, UA, *G
Originally Posted by mikesaidyes
But also, since you are transferring, they're not going to do anything when you transfer. You're just going to go to that gate. You'll be fine, don't worry. American usually doesn't have the check card rule anyway.
Hmmm just for reference, in August 2015 I flew CMH-ORD-ICN on a KE ticket purchased from the Korean Air website, and they did ask for my credit card at the gate at ORD (I don't remember whether they did at CMH - I think the first leg was on UA, even though it was purchased through KE). I remember thinking it was strange - while waiting at the gate they called my name, and I thought maybe it was for some immigration issue, but they just wanted to see my credit card.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 7:58 am

Red face

Originally Posted by mikesaidyes
Did you purchase the ticket on the Korean Air website? If so, you should prepare the credit card.

It was explained to me like this by the EVA and Interpark Travel Agency staff in Seoul. Interpark is a major travel site here in Korea. I bought a ticket for my friend and Interpark wanted me to prove we were family so it wasn't credit card fraud. I sent them a picture of my ID and my credit card. They approved the ticket.

I called EVA (in Korean, no language confusion in English haha) and they explained to me that, yes, EVA requires a credit card for tickets purchased from their site directly. When you buy from another airline, travel site, etc. the burden is on that other site if there is credit card fraud. That is why EVA doesn't check it because it's not their responsibility. Does this make sense?

So, if you're buying a KE ticket on Delta, Expedia, anywhere, they're not going to ask. The burden of fraud is on them, but typically these other companies don't have the same policy. If you buy from KE direct, they will check the card as it is their rule.
Hi there. Yes, I bought the ticket directly from KE's website. I was just nervous because it says on my e-ticket you either have to verify your CC at a KE office or at the counter the day of your flight. But I'm technically not flying on a KE plane and there's no KE office in Minnesota (or within a reasonable distance). I assume this sort of thing happens often enough that, if needed, American Airlines can validate my card at check-in. I just don't want to end up SOL because I didn't travel to a KE office to get this taken care of.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 8:00 am

Smile

Originally Posted by slimjin
Hmmm just for reference, in August 2015 I flew CMH-ORD-ICN on a KE ticket purchased from the Korean Air website, and they did ask for my credit card at the gate at ORD (I don't remember whether they did at CMH - I think the first leg was on UA, even though it was purchased through KE). I remember thinking it was strange - while waiting at the gate they called my name, and I thought maybe it was for some immigration issue, but they just wanted to see my credit card.
Thanks!
Old Feb 15, 2017, 3:08 pm

Hi Experts,
Do you know if the CC has to be activated or will they swipe it for any reason? I would like to cancel my card before the next anual fee hit but still keep it incase they just want to see.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 3:59 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by hondaman82
Hi Experts,
Do you know if the CC has to be activated or will they swipe it for any reason? I would like to cancel my card before the next anual fee hit but still keep it incase they just want to see.
When I was asked at GMP last year they just looked at the numbers and compared them to what was used to buy my ticket.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 7:54 pm

If you are worried, live close to the airport and want to verify your credit card ahead of your trip, just bring your credit card and e-ticket to the check-in counter ahead of time and they will verify it. No card swiping. You will be marked verified in their computer system. That's what I did on my last trip.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 8:00 pm

They just want the numbers. Even if it's expired, they will still check the card. You can also email them with a scanned copy/picture of the card front and back and that will clear it in the system.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
I just flew CDG-ICN on KE with tickets purchased through KE website. Check-in is handled by AF at CDG but the AF agent had to call a KE one who came to check the CC and have us signed some forms.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 9:35 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: SkyTeam Elite, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium
I find it is hit and miss. I just had a recent trip and they didn't check. I am hoping they realize now that I always use the same CC when booking and I book 2-3 trips on KE a year with that card - they should keep a record or flag it on their system as being okay!

Also, I buy flights well in advance. I've already paid off my credit card by the time I am on the flight...so silly they want to check cards. Their internal credit card system needs to improve!!!
Old Feb 21, 2017, 12:42 am

Programs: CA Gold, EY Silver HHons Diamond
Just a word of warning for anyone traveling from PEK.

My wife booked me a ticket to ICN just before christmas, direct with KE website. She received multiple messages about verifying the card and was told it could be done at the check in counter.

So at a little inconvenience my wife (and daughter) schlepped out to the airport only to find that the check in area in PEK T2 is beyond a security check and they were not allowed through.

Trying my luck to check in the staff refused to provide a ticket and refused to speak to my wife who was visible all of fifteen metres away. They told me I had two options, buy a new ticket with cash or go home.

Sucked it up and paid cash (same price as original ticket) then told the price of original ticket would be refunded. Phoned KE on my return a couple of days later to be told it was being processed and would take 4-6 weeks.

Coming up to nine weeks and still no refund, can anyone suggest the best next step of action? Phone up again? Email? Is there anyway to escalate with external agencies?

Thanks in advance for any advice
Old Feb 22, 2017, 3:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Deleted
Old Mar 9, 2019, 9:51 pm

I just bought tickets on KE website. With this credit card verification process, would we be able to check-in online? Or do we need to check-in physically at the airport? I need to check-in online so I can select our seats. How do we work around this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.