Wiki Posts
Search

Gimpo to ICN transfer

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2008, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: some
Gimpo to ICN transfer

I'll be arriving on an OZ flight into GIM and depart 3 hours later on an SQ flight from ICN.

I understand there is a fast train connection since last year? Is this the best way?

1) is the train reliable - will 3 hours be enough?
2) are there many delays on these domestic flights?

Thanks for your help.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 4:14 pm

Programs: UA MM, QF Plat, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Probably your easiest option is taking one of the Limo Buses outside the terminal from Gimpo to ICN. When I was in Seoul 2 years ago I simply hopped on the buses right outside of the train to the airport and it was about a 35 minute ride and cost $5 or $6.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 6:58 am
Original Poster

sounds easy enough, thanks bschaff1! Just worried about traffic - I would imagine the train would be more reliable...But then again, the bus may not go through any busy parts of town, I'm not sure.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 7:05 am

I have never encountered traffic problems between Gimpo and ICN. Almost all of the trip is through through countryside so there really aren't any traffic issues.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Great to know, thanks camsean!
Old Jun 28, 2008, 6:53 pm

I second the bus option. There isn't much traffic between the airports, both of which are on the same side past city traffic tie-ups.

The various drivers I have had (all salaried with no incentive to market their services) have all claimed the train's frequency and speed were not competitive.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 10:11 am

I don't see a reason not to take the train. They leave every 12 minutes and the trip takes 28/33 minutes (regular/express) and costs W3100 (either service), so it's actually a smidgen faster and cheaper than the buses.

Here's the official site: http://www.arex.or.kr/jsp/eng/main.jsp

Last edited by jpatokal; Jul 4, 2008 at 3:01 am Reason: sp
Old Jul 3, 2008, 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by jpatokal
I don't see a reason not to take the train. They leave every 12 minutes and the trip takes 28/33 minutes (regular/express) and costs W3100 (either service), so it's actually smidgen faster and cheaper than the buses.

Good to know. Thanks.
Old Jul 5, 2008, 1:54 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Saw the train as I was riding the bus in from Incheon. It's hardly a TGV but seemed otherwise just fine. Locals told me they expect that it will get a lot more business once the new subway extension to Gimpo is completed.

Great English motto: "We intend to get you there on time."
Old Jul 5, 2008, 3:21 am
Suspended

I don't see a reason not to take the train. They leave every 12 minutes and the trip takes 28/33 minutes (regular/express) and costs W3100 (either service), so it's actually a smidgen faster and cheaper than the buses.

And a damm site more comfy. 2 weeks ago the traffic was backed up all the way from ICN to downtown and that is one hell of distance, this happened twice in one week and its said to get worse
Old Jul 5, 2008, 3:22 am
Suspended

ooooopsssssssss DP
Old Jul 7, 2008, 1:40 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by monahos
I second the bus option. There isn't much traffic between the airports, both of which are on the same side past city traffic tie-ups.

The various drivers I have had (all salaried with no incentive to market their services) have all claimed the train's frequency and speed were not competitive.

True, the train is not that competitive considering you have to walk a quite bit after exiting the domestic arrival hall to reach ARE'X train station. At ICN, riding the train will incur more walking than taking bus as well.

The reason not to take the train is inconvenience. Not only you need to walk more and move between different floor levels, handling your baggage would be arduous if you carry a lot of them. I understand that express trains have designated space for baggage, but commuter trains don't have it. Thus you'll have to hold your baggage for 30-minute ride if you take commuter service, and it's hard to keep seated while holding baggage. On the other hand, taking bus will minimize walking since they pick you up at GMP arrival curbside and drop you off at ICN departure curbside. Also, they will load and unload baggage on the bus for you.

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Saw the train as I was riding the bus in from Incheon. It's hardly a TGV but seemed otherwise just fine. Locals told me they expect that it will get a lot more business once the new subway extension to Gimpo is completed.

Great English motto: "We intend to get you there on time."

The train has nothing to do with TGV. It's pretty identical to subway trains you see in S.Korea.

Originally Posted by Fliar
I'll be arriving on an OZ flight into GIM and depart 3 hours later on an SQ flight from ICN.

I understand there is a fast train connection since last year? Is this the best way?

1) is the train reliable - will 3 hours be enough?
2) are there many delays on these domestic flights?

Thanks for your help.

1. Train is reliable. Express train departs every hour at :00. Commuter train departs ever 12-minute. Note that if you have a lot of baggage, bus would be better for you. Bus from GMP to ICN jumps onto Freeway 130 right after exiting GMP airport access road, so it should be reliable as well. Bus will not take more than 40 minutes normally.

2. Domestic flights are very punctual (not like US domestic flights at all) as long as weather conditions are favorable. Scheduled domestic flight time is usually at least 15 minutes longer than actual flight time, so you should be in GMP terminal before scheduled arrival time under decent weather conditions.

I've been on commuter train (but no express) and bus before, and they were okay.
Old Oct 10, 2008, 6:15 pm

Exclamation ICN to GMP.... Bus or Train?????

I have to transfer from Incheon airport to Gimpo airport and was wondering if anyone has had experience with the buses and the new AREX train. I was thinking about taking the train but I read online that it's out of the way and not practical for people (like me) who have large luggage. I thought it would be simplier and less busy then the bus though. Any opinions on what is better for me to take? Thanks.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 9:26 pm

Programs: 10-year UA 1K and 2 MM, then AA EXP, now BA Silver; next stop, Kayak
There's a recent thread on this: http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=837633

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Oct 12, 2008 at 3:42 pm Reason: Used link to merge threads
Old Oct 11, 2008, 10:23 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by someotherguy

The bottom line: The answer falls down to whether you prefer train or bus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.