Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Korea
Reload this Page >

which airline to ICN ?

which airline to ICN ?

Old Sep 18, 17, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage
which airline to ICN ?

I've already hit EXP for next year so figured i'd take a non oneworld flight direct from LAX to ICN return. This is for business so within reason we can book pretty much any business class flight. That said which airline + aircraft do you recommend ?
I see Singapore Airlines, Asiana and Korean Air have direct flights from LAX , i could also depart from SFO.

Never flown any of the above so looking for recommendations. Also, anyone stayed at the JW Marriott in Seoul? Any other hotel recommendations that are central?

Thanks
Old Sep 18, 17, 10:31 pm

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club, JL Mileage Bank
The Singapore flight arrives very late at ICN, so you have to rely on late night buses at infrequent intervals OR pay an expensive taxi around 70-100 USD depending on where you're going and what time you actually get in the taxi. All Korean taxis start higher after a certain time (I believe 12, I never bothered to check) and are more expensive "late night." This difference is negligible in town but going somewhere super far like ICN can mean it will really add up fast.

Korean Air and Asiana will both run A380s and Asiana's are newer. Korean Air's 380s have more per row, but often the cabin is so large (entire 2nd deck) that it is never full and people have a lot of space.

Asiana does tend to sub aircraft suddenly and the onboard product can change to a much older product. Korean is consistent in that all of their long haul aircraft feature flat beds and consistent on board product.

Others say Asiana's soft product, service and food, are much better. Asiana's 380s are brand new (1-2 years) compared to KE's which have been around a few more years.

Having only flown Y, I cannot vouch for business. I have been pleased with both KE and OZ, and I would say that the general assumption above is true.

There are two JW Marriott. The one in Gangnam is attached to the Bus Terminal complex and is convenient for subway travel, BUT the subway station is very large, confusing and busy. Might be more hassle. The newer one in Dongdaemun is much smaller and in a much more traditional, older Seoul neighborhood. It is closer to markets, tourist attractions etc. The Gangnam one is near Gangnam nightlife, but you will still have to get to/from Gangnam every day. For business, though, Gangnam is better.
Old Sep 18, 17, 10:45 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ChimzB View Post
I've already hit EXP for next year so figured i'd take a non oneworld flight direct from LAX to ICN return. This is for business so within reason we can book pretty much any business class flight. That said which airline + aircraft do you recommend ?
I see Singapore Airlines, Asiana and Korean Air have direct flights from LAX , i could also depart from SFO.

Never flown any of the above so looking for recommendations. Also, anyone stayed at the JW Marriott in Seoul? Any other hotel recommendations that are central?

Thanks
I'd go with Singapore in a second then Korean Air then Asiana. I'm assuming your company will provide a car to pick you up from the airport?

Depends where your company offices are?

Yeouido business district: Conrad
Yeoksam, Samsung COEX: Park Hyatt
City Hall area: Westin Chosun
Yongsan : Four Points Namsan, Shilla, Grand Hyatt

The old Gangnam JW Marriott is dire need of a renovation. It's a sad sack property with dated, small rooms.

Last edited by Aventine; Sep 18, 17 at 10:57 pm
Old Sep 20, 17, 2:17 pm

Asiana from SFO to ICN is with their new A350s. Never been on it yet, but my upcoming flight had the schedule changed because they've switched to the new A350s.
Old Sep 20, 17, 2:41 pm

Programs: IHG, SPG, Hyatt, AS, AC, BA, AA, VS
I generally had a good experience with KE's business class a few months ago. That was the newest biz product on their 777. I don't know if it's the same on their A380s.

But I would also probably choose SQ given the choice due to the bigger seat. Have not flown Asiana so can't compare.
Old Sep 20, 17, 3:23 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Did J on both KE & SQ a year ago. Both very good. Prefer SQ with service and hard product.
Old Nov 7, 17, 7:11 am

JW next to Express Bus Terminal is very nice, has a large gym that is public (as in members of the public use it)

Search this Thread