Protests in central Seoul

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2017, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, Lifetime 4 MM, BA Gold, , Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Marriott Ambassador Elite

Are they still having protests in central Seoul? In November I was in Seoul and got stuck at the Westin Chosun by million+ protesters. I was planning to stay at the Westin Chosun over the weekend in February. Are protests held on Saturday and Sunday every weekend?
Old Jan 25, 2017, 9:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There was a bad one on the Saturday evening of Christmas weekend. People had candles and Santa hats. The airport bus couldn't get to the Westin Chosun. At the time, I understood that these protests would continue until the (former) president really goes. There was nothing over the next several days.

You might try to get online access to the local English Seoul newspaper....or ask the concierge at your hotel.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, Lifetime 4 MM, BA Gold, , Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Thanks. Westin Chosun was so convenient. But I just changed my reservation to JW Marriott, which is across the river?

I have stayed at the Conrad (bleak), Grand Hyatt (not walkable to shopping/eating), Lotte (same problem as Westin Chosun).
Old Jan 29, 2017, 6:32 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
To be safe, I would stay outside of the Jongno/City Hall area as traffic, taxis, everything is a mess for protests. They haven't been getting as much coverage or crowds as the beginning, but they did vow to go until she is gone.

There are two JW Marriot, one in Dongdaemun (new) and one in Gangnam. While Gangnam is across the river, it's convenient with Line 9 Express to the airport (change at Gimpo to airport line). BUT be warned Line 9 Express is crowded 24/7 it seems these days, so if you have big bags it might be a huge pain.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.