Reload this Page >

2018 Olympics travel planning

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 12, 2017, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji

The games took place February 9-25, 2018.
The first character in the emblem represents a gathering place where three elements - heaven, earth, human – are in harmony.

The second character symbolises snow and ice, as well as the athletes’ stellar performances.

Transportation from Seoul
The Seoul-to-Gangneung KTX train, with a transit time of 1 hour and 10 minutes, is expected to be completed by December 2017.
Print Wikipost

2018 Olympics travel planning

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2017, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by skchin
Korea will be lucky if they get any medals other than in skating events.
They're actually lucky to even field teams for some events. They've been naturalizing like crazy.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 12:16 am

Programs: AS Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Starriott LTPP
Originally Posted by Aventine
Your hotel should be able to buy them from the site or at one of the official sale points. Their site is a just a mess in English even when you're using a Visa.
Wow, after some adventures, it was possible to use the Korean site to buy tickets! Hope others have had luck too.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by soartoday
Wow, after some adventures, it was possible to use the Korean site to buy tickets! Hope others have had luck too.
I guess it improved! I bought mine in person.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 9:18 pm

might end up being the coldest olympics ever

"At a rehearsal Saturday for the opening ceremony...the temperature was 6 degrees Fahrenheit with a wind chill factor of 7 below zero — so severely cold that audiences walked out in the middle of the rehearsal."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/weath...ver/309081002/
Old Feb 6, 2018, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's really bad. I feel really sorry for those volunteers traveling out there and then braving it out in almost 0 degree weather. Stupid Pyeongchang committee decided to save money on a roof in one of the coldest Korean provinces in the dead of winter!!

Getting back on topic: They're running shuttle buses from Seoul to the games but I expect they're going to be full and a mess in traffic. KTX tickets are sold out for most popular days and during the Lunar New Year.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 4:54 pm

Programs: None anymore
Originally Posted by Aventine
It's really bad. I feel really sorry for those volunteers traveling out there and then braving it out in almost 0 degree weather. Stupid Pyeongchang committee decided to save money on a roof in one of the coldest Korean provinces in the dead of winter!!

Getting back on topic: They're running shuttle buses from Seoul to the games but I expect they're going to be full and a mess in traffic. KTX tickets are sold out for most popular days and during the Lunar New Year.
The timing hasn't been great, with the Korean holiday and all happening concurrently with the games. Every seat sells out for the days surrounding Lunar New Year, and apparently Korail gave preference to Korean nationals traveling for the holiday before giving seats to Korail Pass holders, so pass holders were unable to get seats on the train and now can't travel or something like that. Here's an article about it that KoreaTimes wrote.

Korail hit for lack of tickets to PyeongChang
Old Feb 8, 2018, 12:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At least tolls will be free for roads leading to the games but traffic will be nuts.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 4:07 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LT Plat
For those in Korea for the games and also trying to ski/ride, I wanted to relay a few observations from my experiences yesterday in getting to Yongpyong and taking the shuttles.

1. Not all shuttles run every day. The online guide clearly notes the in-service dates, but not all station signage or navigation apps reflect the irregular schedules. Double check before assuming a shuttle will be available for your destination.
2. Knowing that the direct link from Jinbu to Yongpyong (TS5) would not be running on 10 Feb, we tried to take TS30 to TS8, transferring at the PyeongChang Olympic Plaza station. This transfer is a bad idea for the reasons below.
3. There are two distinct stations at the Olympic Plaza – North Gate and East Gate. The two stations are a 10-15 minute walk apart. Each stop serves some routes but not others. The POCOG transport app shows the correct locations for each route.
4. The official volunteers are extremely nice but as of yesterday were still getting the hang of the transport system. We were directed to the wrong location a couple of times. Which leads to…
5. We gave up on the busses and took taxis for the rest of the day. With help from a volunteer we flagged one on the street in PyeongChang. On the return, the information booth at YongPyong called a taxi for us (about a 10-minute wait).
6. Fare from the PyeongChang Olympic Village to YongPyong Dragon Plaza was about W10,000. The drive took about 10 minutes. Fare from YongPyong to Jinbu/Odesan Station was W30,000, and took 25-30 minutes.
7. If the intervals say 10 minutes, they mean 10 minutes. When we arrived at Jinbu Station at around 12:30p on 10 Feb, there were about 150 people in line for the TS30 shuttle. The fully loaded shuttles waited until each 10 minute interval before departing. As a result, we didn’t leave the station until after 1pm.
8. Last note – carrying ski gear onto KTX was pretty painless. On the way out, we had seats near the end of the car and stowed the gear behind the last row. On the return, we leaned the gear in the wheelchair/luggage area. While there are walk-through metal detectors in use at most stations, the security personnel were extremely accommodating with our gear (you’ll understand in person).

Hope this helps the next rider/skier!
Old Feb 10, 2018, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The best advice I could give for someone going between Gangneung and Jinbu using the free shuttles is try for the train. The shuttles get stuck in traffic.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 12:22 am

Programs: AA Gold, PC Plat, Hilton Gold
Definitely agree about the volunteers, don't take anybody's word wearing those red north face coats and pants. Was given bad information several times. I think they are only trained to answer certain questions if you go outside of that you are asking for trouble.

The bus bus drop off at Olympic plaza was confusing, they moved the TS30 drop off and pickup but didn't move the signs. So pay attention to area.

Food inside any event or area is not worth it, you can bring in plastic bottles if still unopened and food as long as it is not opened.

Get to evets early security is slow.

We didn't have any train issues but booked our seats in advance. Standing room was usually available most of the time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.