Wiki Posts
Search

DMZ Tours

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2016, 4:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: Top Tier Flyertalk Member
DMZ Tours

Any up to date recommendation for DMZ tours? Is USO still the best option to go with?

http://koridoor.co.kr/bbs/board.php?...Info&wr_id=494

Tour Title: DMZ Tour
Course: DMZ, The 3rd infiltration Tunnel, Dora Observatory, Dorasan
Tour Time: 08:00 ~ 14:00
Price: $41 or 43,000 won
Old Feb 15, 2016, 4:56 am

Originally Posted by JordanWalker
Any up to date recommendation for DMZ tours? Is USO still the best option to go with?

This tour won't take you to the Joint Security Area (JSA) in Panmunjom. You'll recognize it from pictures as the blue buildings situated on the border between North and South Korea. Going to the DMZ and not going to Panmunjom sounds like a bit of a waste to me. The USO has a different tour to Panmunjom, more expensive than the one above.

FWIW, I went on this tour last year.
http://www.panmunjomtour.com/en/prog..._url=program_1
Pickup location and time was convenient, as I was staying not far from the Lotte Hotel. Guide was nice and friendly. On the whole a great experience.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 5:25 am
Original Poster

This should be the one for 96,000 won.
http://koridoor.co.kr/bbs/board.php?...&sca=JSA%2FDMZ

But the one you linked seems to be cheaper at 77k. Thanks!
Old Feb 15, 2016, 6:00 am
Original Poster

Is the 3rd tunnel, Dora, etc worth going?

DMZ Tour: 77,000 won
JSA Tour: 77,000 won
DMZ+JSA Tour: 120,000 won

Bulgogi lunch included, so should worth ~10,000 won.

While the USO one includes both DMZ and JSA for 96,000 won, no lunch.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 5:36 pm

Just FYI the schedules can change at a moment's notice. I just went on the USO tour during the end of Jan and the Dorasan station and 3rd infiltration tunnel parts of the tour were cancelled due to "security and weather" reasons. There was maybe 1cm on snow on the ground max. The JSA part thankfully didn't get cancelled.

They replaced it with a tour of some other observatory that had a great view and Imjingak Park to fill the time before the JSA.

Just FYI the bulgogi they serve is not great and not worth the 10,000 won they charge. It's some soupy mess that's served in what resembles a high school cafeteria. If for some reason they change the schedule on you last minute and take you to Imjingak Park, I suggest eating there. There's a Popeye's and a Korean restaurant there. You are also allowed to bring your own food as well and eat with everyone else who is having the Bulgogi lunch.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 2:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Aventine
USO tour if you can snag a spot.
Does the USO ones fill up fast? I was looking at a few other providers, and they only load 3 months of calendar max (up to March at this point).

USO you have to fill a reservation form - the calendar doesn't indicate anything about full or capacity.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 2:53 am
Original Poster

Looks like the main ones that organize DMZ/JSA tours are

1) USO from Camp Kim
2) Panmunjom Tour as mentioned in post #2
3) International Cultural Service Club
4) Tour DMZ from Lotte Hotel
5) Cosmojin Travel - 87,000 won

Both Panmunjom Tour shinjukuflyer mentioned and Tour DMZ http://tourdmz.com/english/main.php seem to both depart at Lotte Hotel 6th floor / both "includes" lunch. Maybe they are basically the same tour?
Old Feb 16, 2016, 6:19 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
They should all literally be the exact same tour in terms of itinerary and even the lunch. There's literally one restaurant rest stop tacked onto the back side of the train station. I don't think I saw anywhere else to eat...at all.
Old May 8, 2016, 12:20 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
This should be the one for 96,000 won.
http://koridoor.co.kr/bbs/board.php?...&sca=JSA%2FDMZ

But the one you linked seems to be cheaper at 77k. Thanks!
This is the one I did back in March. I was really happy with the whole experience and I think the Third Tunnel is well worth it.
Old May 8, 2016, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10
This is the one I did back in March. I was really happy with the whole experience and I think the Third Tunnel is well worth it.
We did the Koridoor tour last year, as follows:

1) Third tunnel
2) Dora Observatory
3) Lunch
4) Dorasan Station
5) JSA @ Panmunjom

Regarding the tunnel, on the day we went, the parking lot at the Third Tunnel had quite a few buses in it. We walked down to the tunnel and back out, a nice little workout, but I thought the tunnel itself was anti-climactic. We were surrounded by people coming and going, so even though there really isn't that much to see down there, there was no lingering, and it's not a five-minute walk, either. I can't recall exactly how long it took to go down and climb back out, but according to the itinerary we received, they allowed about 90 minutes for that part. I probably wouldn't do it again, but if I did, for sure I would wear some reasonably waterproof hiking shoes, as there was a good amount of standing water under the rubber mats you walk on. My shoes and socks were wet at the end.

Regarding Dora Observatory, it was overcast that day, so the visibility was not good. The 3-D model of the surrounding DMZ area was probably the best part of that stop. You can get a sense of it from Google Maps, but the 3-D model is well-labeled, whereas Google Maps is not.

Not to be a complainer, but to be direct, the cafeteria-style lunch was a waste of 10,000 Won/person; I've had many such meals in Korea, and this was definitely below average. We would have enjoyed lunch much more if we'd swung by the neighborhood shijang (market) and scored some gimbap or that sort of thing before catching the tour.

By far the highlight of the trip was the JSA. The rest of the tour was pretty forgettable, but we got to see some Norks at the JSA and for whatever reason, it made it very memorable.

Name:  SAM_0997.JPG
Views: 1017
Size:  149.2 KB
Old May 9, 2016, 9:32 pm
Original Poster

For my late May date,

USO/Koidoor is fully booked on the day I want.
- do more spots open up later if people cancel?
- is there any kind of waitlist?

Sent an email to Panmunjom Tours to inquire.

International Cultural Service Club is a little pricey at 85,000 for JSA only, but will give them an inquiry too.

Any other companies you would recommend?
Old Jun 24, 2016, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plt
Panmunjom only tours?

Hello --

Trying to absorb the info here and in a couple other posts but I can't figure this out (and some of the website are a bit confusing). Is there a shorted tour that only goes to Panmunjom? While some of the other places seem interesting, the amount of time seems too long to me.

Thanks

Cheers
Old Jun 25, 2016, 1:25 am

Programs: OZ D+ Lifetime
TourDMZ, their Panmunjom regular tour seems to be one you want. I have never tried them but it seems they have cut out the unnecessary parts. Personally I would like it more if they cut out the lunch also. At least they will get you back to Seoul by 1:30pm.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 9:52 am

Programs: AA Ex Plt
Thank you

Originally Posted by nme7
TourDMZ, their Panmunjom regular tour seems to be one you want. I have never tried them but it seems they have cut out the unnecessary parts. Personally I would like it more if they cut out the lunch also. At least they will get you back to Seoul by 1:30pm.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 6:14 pm

Programs: Skypass, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Asiana, Krisflyer, Etihad Guest, Velocity Rewards

Did this one in 2011 - and was the most comprehensive in the market, and my understanding that this has not changed!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.