Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Korea
Reload this Page >

Staying in Gangam?

Staying in Gangam?

Old Mar 16, 2015, 4:46 am
Original Poster

Staying in Gangam?

Six of us off to Seoul for a weekend. Looking at air bnb options due to numbers. Seems a lot of places in Gangam. Is this a good location to stay and be based in to get to the major tourist sites?

Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 6:56 am

Programs: AA
Subway makes almost anywhere possible ... that being said, the walkable older city zones are more in the Chungmuro and Myeong-dong areas in my experience, easy access to Namsan Park, and very short subway rides to many close by market districts, etc. Kinda depends what sort of environment you're looking for. The Gangam district seemed to be predominantly high rise office parks, etc ... no doubt some high end shopping in there if that's of interest. But you're a longer subway ride from most other parts of the city.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 10:04 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
To be honest, it depends exactly where in Gangnam-gu. What is the closest subway station? What do you want to do while you're here? Age ranges? How many days exactly?
Old Mar 16, 2015, 7:22 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your comments. From what I understand the apartment we are looking to rent is about 5 minutes walk from Gangnam station. As for what to do, I guess its the usual sightseeing, eating, and a bit of drinking. We're all in our 30s (no children coming). As for how long, only there for two nights. There is talk of going to the DMZ, but not sure if that will happen (some of us have already visited it before).
Old Mar 16, 2015, 10:36 pm

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
What's the name of the apartment? I know of a place called Inn The City by Nonhyeon Station that's really popular. Actually, my friends and I drink and hang out at the CU Mart underneath it all the time haha. Very nice area, and it's just across the river. About ten minutes closer to where you want to be than past Gangnam.

The Gangnam area is only busy at night behind the Gangnamdae-ro. Like in between Sinnonhyeon and Gangnam Stations there are alleys that run parallel to the main street. Those will be full of activity. You might find, outside of there, that at night on weekends, it's quiet.

Also, behind Sinnonhyeon Station is an area called Nonhyeon-dong which is wildly popular at night. This is close to Nonhyeon Station I mentioned, of course.

To be honest, if you're only here two nights, don't go all the way to Gangnam. Time will be limited. Stay in Myeongdong, catch the AREX (you won't have light bags). If you go to Gangnam, you'll end up taking an airport bus , which means traffic and extra time wasted.

In Myeongdong, you're smack in the middle of Seoul, so you can get anywhere easily. If you stay in Gangnam, you're going a lot of extra distance to everywhere you want to go.

All the tourist sites and shopping you'll need will be right there in Myeongdong and Jongno. Gangnam shopping is the same as Myeongdong. Chain stores and a department store. Don't worry.

I don't know what kind of 30 you are haha, but if you're feeling young, late night adventurous, I'd go to Hongdae. It's THE youthful/trendy area for clubs and indie stuff. Itaewon has now become a trendy global area for Koreans to go to fancy foreign restaurants run by expat Koreans haha. Think American barbecue, fancy Southeast Asian food, juice bars and churros. If you want something slightly more upscale cafe, check out Garosu-gil.

Myeongdong has nothing at night, though. I'd head to Hongdae, Nonhyeon, Itaewon or the alley behind Gangnamdae-ro. Both will be about a 7-10,000W taxi ride each way (traffic depending, of course).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.