Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Korea
Reload this Page >

First trip to Seoul - therefore noob questions!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First trip to Seoul - therefore noob questions!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2012, 12:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by ethelman
I think Seoul's great. Never dound a dodgy area. People are friendly and go out of their way to be helpful. I've never had a problem with English, and I visit 4-5 times annually on business.
Completely agree. I thought there'd be more of a language barrier but many signs in English including on the subway where the announcements of upcoming stations were also in English. The people I encountered were also quite willing to assist and I enjoyed those interactions.

Friends who've explore more of Asia downplayed Seoul as too bland and boring and not as exciting as Bangkok or Vietnam but I liked it and it was really my cup of tea and would go back in a heartbeat.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 3:52 pm

If you can delay your trip for a week or two, the last weekend of September is a major national holiday and Seoul will be deserted. That should make your visit a lot more pleasant. If you decide to come around then, I live and work in the Suburbs and might take a trip up to Seoul as the high-end hotels will be discounting like crazy to fill their rooms so I could show you around if you want.

ALSO: avoid Subway line 2 between Sadang and Gangnam like the plague during rush hour.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 6:18 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by stupidhead
If you can delay your trip for a week or two, the last weekend of September is a major national holiday and Seoul will be deserted. That should make your visit a lot more pleasant. If you decide to come around then, I live and work in the Suburbs and might take a trip up to Seoul as the high-end hotels will be discounting like crazy to fill their rooms so I could show you around if you want.

ALSO: avoid Subway line 2 between Sadang and Gangnam like the plague during rush hour.
Checked for an accommodation in Seoul from 30 sept - 3 oct. but nowhere to see heavily discounted rates among high-end hotels or am i looking at wrong sites? Is it still too early to get the discounts and should wait till early sept. Can you direct me where I can find cheap accommodation for high-end hotels?
Old Aug 6, 2012, 8:08 pm

Programs: Skyteam
Originally Posted by vinx
Checked for an accommodation in Seoul from 30 sept - 3 oct. but nowhere to see heavily discounted rates among high-end hotels or am i looking at wrong sites? Is it still too early to get the discounts and should wait till early sept. Can you direct me where I can find cheap accommodation for high-end hotels?
Moving around in Seoul using public transit is pretty easy, subway ride for less than $2US and taxi ride starts at $2.50US. 3 star hotels near youngdeung po can be had for pretty decent price.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by vinx
Hm. Maybe it's a bit too early. Korea's not very good at things like advance planning so I'd wait a week or two. Maybe try calling the hotels to see if they're planning to offer one this year?

Either that the so called chuseok packages are totally overrated.

Last edited by stupidhead; Aug 7, 2012 at 5:02 pm
Old Aug 13, 2012, 7:15 pm

Programs: AS, DL, AA, UA, WN
Just wanted to add a "me too" to the helpfulness of this post. The Korea forum was created at the perfect time for me, I'm in the process of doing research on things to do for a two-day (three night) stopover in Seoul mid-November. If there is anything of specific interest during that time (specifically, Nov. 13-14), I'd love to hear about it!
Old Aug 14, 2012, 6:25 am

Programs: Skyteam
Where are you staying?
Old Aug 14, 2012, 6:50 am

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by stupidhead

NOTHING will be open during that weekend. It's Korean Thanksgiving, and everyone goes to their hometowns. Even the huge supermarkets and shopping areas close.

If you have to travel that weekend, use the train or plane. Traffic is terrible.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:42 pm

Programs: AS, DL, AA, UA, WN
Originally Posted by skchin
Where are you staying?
Not sure if this was directed at me, but I've not yet booked lodging.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 3:22 pm

Programs: ______
Seoul Noob Also

Not to thread jack but I'll be in Seoul for the first time also Sept 4th- Sept 10th, if anyone wants to meet up as a group of bumbling foreigners I'm down to, drinks on me lol! (doing a mini tour of asia so will be in shanghai/beijing etc beforehand and last leg is Seoul) And also no idea of where to stay yet
Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:04 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Premier, AA Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by nstick13
NOTHING will be open during that weekend. It's Korean Thanksgiving, and everyone goes to their hometowns. Even the huge supermarkets and shopping areas close.

If you have to travel that weekend, use the train or plane. Traffic is terrible.
If you do plan to travel, I would book ASAP. Most train and plane tickets will sell out quick, if they haven't already. Half the population of South Korea live in the Seoul metro area (about 22 million or so) and many of them will be trying to go to their hometowns.

My best advise, book it right now!
Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:09 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Premier, AA Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by tcook052
Completely agree. I thought there'd be more of a language barrier but many signs in English including on the subway where the announcements of upcoming stations were also in English. The people I encountered were also quite willing to assist and I enjoyed those interactions.

Friends who've explore more of Asia downplayed Seoul as too bland and boring and not as exciting as Bangkok or Vietnam but I liked it and it was really my cup of tea and would go back in a heartbeat.
I always find it funny when I see Americans or Canadians lost and I go up to them to help them and the shock on their face when perfect American English comes out of my mouth. Meanwhile, Koreans also get shocked when I tell them I'm from the US but speak perfect Korean; they think most Korean-Americans can't speak Korean at all.

Also, most people in the early 20s are probably somewhat fluent in English. American pop culture is big in Korea and most people at this age also go to academies to learn English (hakwons). So beware when you want to talk behind someone's back in English thinking they won't understand, especially around college areas and Gangnam.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 3:34 am

You mean last week of September 2012 is bad to visit Seoul??

This is bad for me coz, I have already book flight and hotel for visiting Seoul from 30 Sept to 03 October 2012.
As it would be also a golden week holiday in China, there would also be huge Chinese coming into Seoul.

Btw, staying in Lotte City Hotel Mapo.
Is it good in terms of street food, shopping and also tour??
Old Aug 23, 2012, 1:55 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by Pathfinder813
If you do plan to travel, I would book ASAP. Most train and plane tickets will sell out quick, if they haven't already. Half the population of South Korea live in the Seoul metro area (about 22 million or so) and many of them will be trying to go to their hometowns.

My best advise, book it right now!
But also one of the best times to book hotel packages, I would advice to book a spa hotel with breakfast, lunch and dinner included.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 1:59 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by nycflyer
The (Milllenium) Hilton is top quality and centrally located north of the river near Namdaemun but sits on the slopes of Namsan and isn't convenient to the subway. If you're ok with taking taxis to+from the hotel it's not a bad choice. The Conrad is in Yeouido which is far from both COEX and tourist sites.
Sorry, but I feel compelled to correct this: The Millenium Hilton is a few minutes walk from the next subway station. Hoeheyon on line 4.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.