FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Good Old Days

Just to celebrate the new image posting feature:

Anybody remember Royal Class?

Johan

Last edited by alanw; Oct 14, 2008 at 8:18 am
Old Oct 11, 2008, 1:30 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion - BA Silver - IHG Diamond Elite - HHonors Diamond - M&M
Think your the only old timer round here johan.

Rest of us are just spring chickens.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 3:24 pm
Suspended

All I see is a red cross.
Old Oct 12, 2008, 3:46 am

Programs: Amex Centurion - BA Silver - IHG Diamond Elite - HHonors Diamond - M&M
Originally Posted by Mofomat
All I see is a red cross.
I can see it now, I copied the link into my browser by doing a "quote" reply and I can now see it above too.
Old Oct 12, 2008, 4:27 am

All I could see in Johan's original message was a blank space, not even a cross.

When I did a quote reply I could see a link (just the link)

Something to do with my Firefox security settings maybe?
Old Oct 12, 2008, 4:35 am

http://server6.theimagehosting.com/i.......jpg&mode=1

Try this.

Last edited by pmcg; Oct 13, 2008 at 4:55 am
Old Oct 13, 2008, 3:22 pm

Nice photo of a once great airline.

Last edited by JOUY31; Oct 15, 2008 at 1:54 am Reason: off topic comment removed
Old Oct 13, 2008, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by kmck
Nice photo of a once great airline.
Shame they got shafted.
Europe Select was introduced before the AF takeover as was a policy of no alcohol in short haul Y class, so for a while if you wanted to have a beer when travelling within Europe you had to travel ES (or fly a different airline).

So things wouldn't be necessarily be better if they were still independent.

Last edited by JOUY31; Oct 15, 2008 at 1:56 am Reason: quote of off topic comment removed
Old Oct 13, 2008, 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by johan rebel
Just to celebrate the new image posting feature:

Anybody remember Royal Class?

Johan
Ah, indeed.
I worked for NW back in 1991 in MSP when KL and NW first hooked up.
At the time, they had a joint venture and NW would sell the left side of the plane and KL the right side.
As a NW non-rev, we were allowed to fly in Royal Class, something that was, IIRC, only allowed for KL captains and pursers. Needless to say, KLM employees were just a tad bit envious (OK, they were pi$$ed off) at NW non-revs).
I always enjoyed taking a left hand turn when I entered the a/c and planting myself in "the wide chair" while sipping champagne and nibbling on caviar.

The good old days indeed...
Old Oct 14, 2008, 1:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by layz
Europe Select was introduced before the AF takeover as was a policy of no alcohol in short haul Y class, so for a while if you wanted to have a beer when travelling within Europe you had to travel ES (or fly a different airline).

So things wouldn't be necessarily be better if they were still independent.
Exactly, and you can add the introduction of fares which under the last days of KL were not even earning any miles at all (not even the 25% it became), including E which is now 100%. Or the introduction of the first 737's with 6 across in both classes as opposed to larger seats at the front. So sadly, while I am too young to remember Royal Class which looks absolutely fabulous (a bit 'transatlantic cruise ship' like), my oldest memories of KLM in economy in the mid-1990s are not actually very impressed ones! I heartily agree THIS is what they should aim for though!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.