Schiphol proposes to raise passenger charges 10-50%

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2008, 5:41 am
PJK
Original Poster

Programs: KL/AF FB Plat, Hilton Silver, La Quinta Gold
Schiphol proposes to raise passenger charges 10-50%

According to: http://www.luchtvaartnieuws.nl/news/?ID=25507

Schiphol want to raise the passenger service charges on November 1st. It's not an officially approved plan, but only a proposal. The passenger service charge should be raised by 10%, the security charge by 50%.

According to the BARIN (airlines operating from/to The Netherlands) the charges at Schiphol already are too high.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 6:02 am

This is just a way for Schiphol to try to recover some of the cash for "fun & games" of management that was taken from them when they weren't allowed to do their IPO and still had to pay their super dividend back to the State.

Don't just let the BARIN complain. Everyone should let their voice be heard that these proposed increases are unacceptable.

It is time for more oversight on Schiphol. They are getting out of control.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 8:26 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
and with the special "Wouter Bos Tax" flying from the NL is going to be fun..
Old Apr 14, 2008, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
how about a polderbaan discount
Old Apr 14, 2008, 10:43 am

Programs: KLM Flying Blue Platinum for Life.. BA Gold , oh and some other shiny bits of plastic ...
or a mouse in lounge cheese tax !
Old Apr 14, 2008, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
how about a polderbaan discount
LOL, that's a great idea. Didn't someone on here mention once that the Polderbaan was so far away from Schiphol that Ryanair were considering flying there? (or something to that effect).
Old Apr 14, 2008, 1:35 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, HH G
Originally Posted by PJK
According to: http://www.luchtvaartnieuws.nl/news/?ID=25507

Schiphol want to raise the passenger service charges on November 1st. It's not an officially approved plan, but only a proposal. The passenger service charge should be raised by 10%, the security charge by 50%.

According to the BARIN (airlines operating from/to The Netherlands) the charges at Schiphol already are too high.
How high are the fees currently? ie how much impact would these increases have in absolute terms?
Old Apr 14, 2008, 2:57 pm
PJK
Original Poster

Programs: KL/AF FB Plat, Hilton Silver, La Quinta Gold
Punched in a return AMS-EWR-AMS on CO on ITA. Comes up as €10,84 security service charge and €12,09 passenger service charge. So I'd guess 50% on the first and 10% on the latter would result in €6,63 extra charges.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by psollitt
or a mouse in lounge cheese tax !
did I mention I saw a couple of mice in the AF lounge in BOS last December This is what I call 'taking the best of each airline'
Old Apr 14, 2008, 7:16 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, HH G
Originally Posted by PJK
Punched in a return AMS-EWR-AMS on CO on ITA. Comes up as €10,84 security service charge and €12,09 passenger service charge. So I'd guess 50% on the first and 10% on the latter would result in €6,63 extra charges.
That's not too bad, really. Although admittedly I'd still rather spend the money on a cappuccino.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Airlines at AMS are up in arms because Schiphol is not only proposing to raise charges, but also to pay shareholders (i.e. the Dutch government and the Amsterdam municipality) a 1 billion Euro special dividend this year.

According to luchtvaartnieuws.nl, the sole candidate to replace Schiphol CEO Cerfontaine has withdrawn his candidacy because the remuneration package offered was not to his satisfaction.

Johan
Old Apr 16, 2008, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by johan rebel
Airlines at AMS are up in arms because Schiphol is not only proposing to raise charges, but also to pay shareholders (i.e. the Dutch government and the Amsterdam municipality) a 1 billion Euro special dividend this year.
No sympathy from me for those whose bulk of profits comes from "surcharges". AMS is a decent airport and IMHO there's nothing wrong with the Dutch making a bit of money out of it.
Old Apr 18, 2008, 4:53 am

Programs: Flying Blue
Perhaps they should become more an airport instead of a luxurious mall. The amount of taxes and fees are becoming far to high.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.