Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MD11 problems continue, multiple delays again

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2008, 4:09 am

Programs: KL/AF Platinum
Originally Posted by HB-IWC
Tuesday night's flight from YUL was delayed for 25 hours after the aircraft was first diverted to YYZ and then encountered a technical issue over there. The aircraft was PH-KCC.

When you flew YUL AMS on Feb 20, KLM had sent in a B744, PH-BFG, to pick up stranded passengers from the day before as another MD11, PH-KCH, had broken down at YUL, and ended up spending 3 days there before it could be flown back to AMS.

Over the past weeks, there have been multiple MD11 delays again, including to ACC, DAR, SXM, CAI and YUL. It seems the MD11 problems are popping up again: PH-KCB was stuck in SXM for 24 hours on Feb 17, PH-KCH at YUL for 3 days on Feb 19, PH-KCF at DAR for 2 days on Feb 21. PH-KCF had then to return to AMS on its next flight to AMS on Feb 24 resulting in all kinds of delays to ACC and CAI with the replacement aircraft, PH-KCI, also breaking down, and last night it was PH-KCC at YYZ. Meanwhile, there were several other significant delays.
Would you advise avoiding KLM as an airline to MD-11 operated destinations? I have a trip planned for ACC and could fly AZ B763 via FCO instead.

Tks,
Old Feb 27, 2008, 4:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hardiwv
Would you advise avoiding KLM as an airline to MD-11 operated destinations? I have a trip planned for ACC and could fly AZ B763 via FCO instead.
I wouldn't avoid them. At the end of the day, the MD11s are great aircraft, and the front WBC cabin is as good as it gets as KLM WBC goes. AZ's ratty B763s are likely more disappointing. In terms of MD11 reliability at KLM, YUL is much more often victimized than other MD11 stations in case of MD11 irregularities.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 4:21 am

Programs: KL/AF Platinum
I wouldn't avoid them. At the end of the day, the MD11s are great aircraft, and the front WBC cabin is as good as it gets as KLM WBC goes. AZ's ratty B763s are likely more disappointing. In terms of MD11 reliability at KLM, YUL is much more often victimized than other MD11 stations in case of MD11 irregularities.
You are correct, the MD-11 WBC front cabin at least could partially compensate for a possible delay!

Rgs,
Old Feb 27, 2008, 6:29 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Flying Blue Gold, Dynasty Flyer
In terms of MD11 reliability at KLM, YUL is much more often victimized than other MD11 stations in case of MD11 irregularities.
Would you think that they delay flights at YUL is because YUL has 2 AF flights in the winter and 3 in the summer and they could divert some of the pax on AF through CDG?

The development of the thread makes me a bit nervous about my next trip with KLM for the easter weekend. I'll just try my luck I guess. I booked with them is because KLM is cheaper and the reservation gives 100% miles on Flying Blue...^

Last edited by Apesanteur; Feb 27, 2008 at 6:37 am
Old Feb 27, 2008, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Apesanteur
Would you think that they delay flights at YUL is because YUL has 2 AF flights in the winter and 3 in the summer and they could divert some of the pax on AF through CDG?
I think the fact that the AMS YUL flight ends up being delayed more often than the other MD11 flights has to do with the fact that it is the last MD11 departure of the day with the exception of the midnight Ecuador flight and as such ends up being delayed more often.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 4:18 pm

I might be reaching, but will there ever be a chance for KL to upgrade YUL to a T7 route?
Old Feb 27, 2008, 7:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Apesanteur
I might be reaching, but will there ever be a chance for KL to upgrade YUL to a T7 route?
Probably not in the short term, I guess. YUL is a lower yielding route and the MD11 is optimally configured for that. However, KLM is regularly sending replacement aircraft to YUL so the B744 and B772 sometimes appear on the route anyway.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 10:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I wouldn't avoid them. At the end of the day, the MD11s are great aircraft, and the front WBC cabin is as good as it gets as KLM WBC goes.
WHAT?!. I just flew the 777-300ER in WBC. 10 times better than the MD-11.
Old Mar 1, 2008, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jddssc121
WHAT?!. I just flew the 777-300ER in WBC. 10 times better than the MD-11.
No doubt thanks to the beloved middle seat and the spacious cabin.

Johan
Old Mar 1, 2008, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

I've also been on PH-BVA and although the 'new' new seats are definitely better than the 'old' new seats, the cabin feels even more cramped than on the B772s. Give me the MD11 with the old seats any time...
Old Mar 4, 2008, 6:28 pm

I hate to bring this up again, but KL672 is cancelled again tonight. KL671 arrived into YUL 24 minutes late, everthing kinda seemed honky dory and comes the cancellation of KL672. According to Aéroport de Montréal website, it looks like the flight took off and returned to the airport few minutes later. Does anyone know if the aircraft is experiencing any technical problems? Ever since my trip with KLM 2 weeks ago, KL671/672 has not gone through more than 2 days without suffering from any sort of drama. It makes me wonder if YUL really is that unimportant to KLM that the passengers travelling in and out of YUL have to be put through this much drama. A change of aircraft may solve the problem if MD11 doesn't work for anyone on this route. I'm sure this isn't easy on KLM either. Could it be our weather in Montréal?
Old Mar 5, 2008, 12:21 am
Original Poster

It is indeed an aircraft defect. Yet another one. To add insult to injury, the same thing happened to another MD11 in Hyderabad, also last night, so KLM is stuck with 2 MD11s grounded outside the home base.

The aircraft in question are:

PH-KCG at YUL
PH-KCE at HYD

Meanwhile PH-KCD and PH-KCA suffered minor technical issues at Bonaire and St Maarten respectively.
Old Mar 5, 2008, 6:33 pm

Wow...thanks for the information. I really hope KLM will look into the problem.
Old Mar 6, 2008, 8:05 pm
Original Poster

Thursday's KL671/672 AMS YUL AMS was again heavily delayed (3h30) because of a technical issue with the designated aircraft PH-KCH. Another MD11, PH-KCF, had to be freed up from the hangar, hence the long delay.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 8:13 am

Programs: FB PE, BA Au
Originally Posted by hardiwv

Tks,
Don't do it!

Apart from the fact that the flight to ACC is from MXP rather than FCO, you get to spend an hour on the ground in LOS.
It's a heck of a long day, leave AMS @ 0945 - get into ACC @ 2015 (2115 Dutch time)

It's worth taking a chance on the MD11, it's usually OK 4 days a week

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.