Wiki Posts
Search

Select Seating actually working?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2004, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Select Seating actually working?

Boarding KL1128 this afternoon, I found 11 pax in Europe Select, who had been allocated all of four rows netween them. Upon passing the class divider, I was amazed to discover that apart from 3 pax in suits in 7DEF, there was nobody at all seated in rows 5 through 10. From row 11 onwards the aircraft, a 733, was almost full : about 60 pax crammed in 12 rows (72 seats).

For a few minutes after taking my emergency exit row seat 10A, I thought that for once the Select Seating rules had been enforced strictly. At the last moment, however, 4 pax took their seats in row 6. They certainly didn't look like frequent flyers, more like frequent drinkers. One of them resembled a walking beer barrel in a football shirt. They were followed by a solitary gentleman who tried to drag his wheeled bag down the aisle. Only problem was that it was wider than the aisle, but this didn't deter him. He got as far as row three, at which point the purser intervened and stowed the bag for him. This same pax decided that it was a good time to start wandering up and down the aisle when we were on short finals to AMS. For some reason I suspect he wasn't a frequent flyer either. Be that as it may, I had row 10 all to myself, and therefore no reason for complaint.

johan

Old Mar 2, 2004, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
I wonder if the unavailability of even a Heineken for love or money onboard in Economy makes passengers more likely to have one too many at the airport? It certainly had that effect on me before I decided to jump ship.

[This message has been edited by Passmethesickbag (edited Mar 02, 2004).]
Old Mar 2, 2004, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Thats very true, they should serve it on the flight otherwise it might lead to Binge drinking before flights which can be very bad!
Old Mar 2, 2004, 4:32 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">They certainly didn't look like frequent flyers, more like frequent drinkers. One of them resembled a walking beer barrel in a football shirt.</font>
I see these types on Norwich flights quite a lot... flashing around their GE and PE cards!

So just because somebody looks like a frequent drinker doesn't necessarily mean he isn't also a frequent flyer.
Old Mar 3, 2004, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Aviatrix:
So just because somebody looks like a frequent drinker doesn't necessarily mean he isn't also a frequent flyer.</font>
Yeah, judging people by their appearance is fraught with dangers, but far too tempting to resist. I feel not the least embarrassed about doing this in parts of the world where most people have control over the way they dress and groom themselves.

Frequently flying drinkers, or frequently drinking flyers seem to be especially common on flights to and from major sea ports.

johan
Old Mar 3, 2004, 10:53 am
Suspended

Took a flight from AMS-JFK on 1st March, and sat next to a guy in a bulkhead seat. I reserved my select seat about 90 days before I flew, in order to get the bulkhead. When I asked him how early he reserved his seat, he said he didn't, and this was the first time he'd flown with KLM. He didn't even ask for a bulkhead seat and was just given it. I thought this was unsual because I would have thought the row 10 bulkhead seats on the B772 would be the first to go.
Old Mar 3, 2004, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Mofomat:
Took a flight from AMS-JFK on 1st March, and sat next to a guy in a bulkhead seat.</font>
Did you enjoy your comfortable seat as much as on your outbound flight?

I should prefer 11C or 11G over row 10. The seats are just as uncomfortable, but at least you have decent legroom. No way you can stretch your legs in row 10, by the looks of it.

I shall in any case do my utmost to avoid flying KL 772s in Y in the future. I reserve judgment on WBC until I've had the opportunity to try it, but my single Y experience was definitely of the "never again" type.

johan
Old Mar 6, 2004, 12:12 am

Just got into AMS from YYV, I called the help desk to book select seat one day ahead, my schedule had changed twice, I was assigned 10A, and lo and behold on check in I got 10A this is a first for me, usually I call, am given seat assignment, and at check in they have no idea what I am talking about.
Was on a flight back from YUL last year with mrs Norri, and had chosen select seats at check in they said "we don't know about that but look what lovely seats we have given you" all with a lovely french accent
On boarding the seats I wanted were free so we switched.
Morale of the story somtimes it works sometimes it don't, sometimes it needs help

[This message has been edited by Norri (edited Mar 06, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by Norri (edited Mar 06, 2004).]
Old Mar 6, 2004, 1:34 am

Sorry if i am getting something wrong here, but is it correct that i have to call klm to get a special seat assignment. I am on an award travel from AMS-KAN later this month, and might as well try to go for one of the better seats on the 767.

Anyways i might as well need to call them, since they still haven't sent my tickets, and there's less than 3 weeks to travel time.
Old Mar 6, 2004, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Mogensen:
Sorry if i am getting something wrong here, but is it correct that i have to call klm to get a special seat assignment.</font>
If you are an elite and would like a seat in the Select Seating zone you need to call either KLM reservations, or the FD elite line. Seats can be allocated from 90 days before departure.

johan

Old Mar 6, 2004, 7:40 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
I've just been told that as of March 1st you can no longer reserve seats on any UK -&gt; AMS flights...

Nice one KLM!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.