Community
Wiki Posts
Search

KL coded trains

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2007, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
KL coded trains

KL have codeshares on two railroutes that I can see:
NS AMS to RTM (e.g. KL241)
Thalys AMS to ZYZ (Antwerp train station - e.g. KL2661)

If you book something like LCY-AMS-RTM will you earn FB miles on the AMS-RTM segment (500 for domestic + 1 segment)? If so are miles supposed to be credited automatically?

The Thalys should be the international 750 miles from what I understand. Anyone had any problems claiming these miles?
Old Jan 10, 2007, 7:12 pm

Programs: BD*G -> BA Gold + A3*G (now dropped to BA Silver)
I got miles from ams to antwerp on the train but they weren't credited automatically. I had to send in a miles claim + tickets.

As for ams - rtm, I seriously doubt you'd get a mile for that. Anyway how can you book a journey with an ams-rtm rail segment?
Old Jan 11, 2007, 1:44 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, BA Silver, FB Explorer
Originally Posted by browserden
As for ams - rtm, I seriously doubt you'd get a mile for that. Anyway how can you book a journey with an ams-rtm rail segment?
THrough my corporate travel agent they offered me one of those tickets including train from AMS to RTM. However beware that KLM told me that it was a ticket applicable for a fixed train only, ie. if your flight is late you have to go through the hassle of getting the train ticket changed. They couldn't tell me whether I'd get miles so I opted for the low hassle option of the flight to AMS then buying my own train ticket.
Old Feb 11, 2007, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Not a bad deal, just booked LCY-AMS-ZYZ and it was only £11 dearer than the LCY-AMS fare for the same times (and they didn't try to charge taxes for the train leg!) - dreaded 25% fare bucket though, but worked out cheaper than I could find with Eurostar (connecting via Brussels) so I thought I'd give it a go.

There's not much online about the Thalys and KLM, the Air France Thalys codeshare between CDG and Brussels is listed on the Air France web site and they offer an AF lounge at Brussels station and a first class compartment on the train regardless of fare paid. KLM is not mentioning anything like that so I assume no lounge in Antwerp and second class seating.
Old Feb 11, 2007, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anybody remember the days when any pax in possession of a KL ticket could travel for free by train from any station in the Netherlands to and from AMS on the days of departure and arrival?

Johan
Old May 4, 2007, 7:00 pm

Programs: NW Plat, CO Plat
KL2661 Brussels or Antwerp?

Trying to book SIN-AMS-BRU on KLM website. The cheapest alternative has the AMS-BRU segment listed as KL2661 train to "Brussels (Antwerp Berchem Station)".

Would this train actually take me to Brussels or does it end in Antwerp?
Old May 5, 2007, 12:49 am

Programs: QR Silver
Originally Posted by BBT in NY
Trying to book SIN-AMS-BRU on KLM website. The cheapest alternative has the AMS-BRU segment listed as KL2661 train to "Brussels (Antwerp Berchem Station)".

Would this train actually take me to Brussels or does it end in Antwerp?

KL2661 seems to be an KLM codeshare on the 7:13AM Thalys train Amsterdam-Paris, but only on the Schiphol-Antwerp segment. After Antwerp the train continues to Brussels-South (ZYR) and to Paris.

KLM have airplanes to Brussels, they don't codeshare on trains for Brussels. If they really mark Antwerp-Berchem station as "Brussels", it's definitely bizarre, Antwerp is a completely, proudly separate city, 50km north of Brussels, with its own Antwerp International Airport ; the station is actually labeled as "Antwerpen-Berchem", in dutch.
If your ticket is marked as you wrote, it might be valid until Brussels proper, given that the train actually stops in Brussels. If not, a railway ticket from Antwerp-Berchem to Brussels (any station) would cost you 6.10€ (you'd need to change to a normal train, no problem, but you'd have to buy a ticket and need to take your luggage down a short flight of stairs, escalators are only for going up). It would be no more of a hassle than flying to Brussels Airport and taking the train from there. It also depends which part of Brussels you want to go to ; all regular trains stop at 2 other stations before Brussels South. You could even ask to include one-day use of public transportation in Brussels in your rail ticket (costs a bit extra, saves hassle).
Old May 5, 2007, 2:10 am

Originally Posted by gumbleby
KLM have airplanes to Brussels, they don't codeshare on trains for Brussels. If they really mark Antwerp-Berchem station as "Brussels", it's definitely bizarre, Antwerp is a completely, proudly separate city
Taking lessons from Ryanair maybe???

(Many of Ryanair's destinations are completely, proudly separate cities from the places Ryanair claims to fly to - such as the ancient Hanseatic City of Lübeck which they call "Hamburg")
Old May 5, 2007, 2:37 pm

Programs: FB Gold, IB+, LH, Hertz 1# Club Gold 5*
Originally Posted by gumbleby
KL2661 seems to be an KLM codeshare on the 7:13AM Thalys train Amsterdam-Paris, but only on the Schiphol-Antwerp segment. After Antwerp the train continues to Brussels-South (ZYR) and to Paris... ... (costs a bit extra, saves hassle).
W
I am doing 2/3 times a month BCN / ZYR (railway station) or BRU ... with AF or AZ or KL. With AF you will arrive to ZYR. Just for info, a return ticket bought yesterday for monday departure and back on thursday cost taxes included 200 euros.
It counts as 4 status flights, 750 miles each plus bonus elite + since booking class is E(100% miles)
You can even have a fare for 175 euros if bought much ealier (I guess for 25% miles for class N)

With AZ and KL arrival at BRU. Note that with KL, the leg AMS / BRU is done by city hopper on small Fokker 70 or 100.

I have never tried ZYZ since antwerp is indeed far from Brussels (50 km).

If you don't have lots of luggage, ZYR with AF or BRU with KL on fokker 70 is fine. I would just add that AF doesn't propose any OLCI for ZYR because it seems this airport code (railway station code) is not recognized

As Miles are concerned ... you get them credited within 2/3 working days.
Old May 7, 2007, 1:08 pm

Programs: BA, AA, FB
Originally Posted by johan rebel
Anybody remember the days when any pax in possession of a KL ticket could travel for free by train from any station in the Netherlands to and from AMS on the days of departure and arrival?

Johan
Yes! I made use of that several times. But when they stopped I found flying the MST-AMS v.v. sector much more fun Of course, the 750 miles helped too!
Old May 7, 2007, 3:21 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Eurostar, GHA/NH, ALL
A flew train "flights": (It seems to be a halve hour between flights.)

KL202 RTM-AMS
KL206 RTM-AMS
KL210 RTM-AMS
KL214 RTM-AMS
KL218 RTM-AMS
KL220 RTM-AMS

(Those trains leave .28/.58 train runs to Amsterdam Centraal and stops between Rotterdam Centraal and Schiphol at Den Haag HS and Leiden Centraal. They teak 50 min.)

KL205 AMS-RTM
KL209 AMS-RTM

(Those trains leave .15/.45 train runs to Vlissingen or Dordrecht and stops between Schiphol and Rotterdam Centraal at Leiden Centraal and Den Haag HS. They teak 50 min.)

Last edited by mat_64; May 7, 2007 at 3:23 pm Reason: added running time.
Old May 7, 2007, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Aviatrix
Taking lessons from Ryanair maybe???

(Many of Ryanair's destinations are completely, proudly separate cities from the places Ryanair claims to fly to - such as the ancient Hanseatic City of Lübeck which they call "Hamburg")
Ryanair sometimes even list destinations that are in a different country to what's intended (e.g. Vienna (Bratislava)).

Anyway, listing Antwerp as Brussels only occurred after the switch to amadeus so I suspect it is a bug rather than an attempt to copy ryanair (also I suspect they'd rather sell you a flight to BRU than a rail ticket to ANR).
Old May 7, 2007, 5:29 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Eurostar, GHA/NH, ALL
Originally Posted by layz
Anyway, listing Antwerp as Brussels only occurred after the switch to amadeus so I suspect it is a bug rather than an attempt to copy ryanair (also I suspect they'd rather sell you a flight to BRU than a rail ticket to ANR).
Brussels also is listed as Antwerp some times (try to book ANR-SYD).
Old May 8, 2007, 2:47 am

Programs: FB Plat Lifetimer / Air NZ Airpoints
Originally Posted by johan rebel

Johan
Yeah, those were the good old days when KLM still had pride and remembered - knew even - what customer service was and the Dutch trains ran on time!! Wouldn't risk it now.
Old May 8, 2007, 6:15 am

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
Any chance one would earn NW miles for booking (and traveling) on these KL '
flight' numbers (AMS-RTM trains?)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.