Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Avis and KLM Royalwing

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2002, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Avis and KLM Royalwing

Ill have to rent a car in SFO in march and I konw that Royalwings get a double upgrade on car rentals.

How does this work. Do I have to call in before or just show my card at the counter at the rental location.

thanks in advance for some answers.
Old Feb 17, 2002, 3:41 pm

From the KLM website:
Guaranteed corporate rates: Yes (request at time of reservation), and special prices and discounts at locations worldwide. Mention FD number and discount code AWD Z 190300 on reservation.

Free car upgrade: Free car upgrade, worldwide. Free double upgrade in Europe, Africa, Middle East and Asia only.

The 'guaranteed corporate rate' just means entering the AWD # in the Avis booking engine.

You should try a number of other AWD's, KLM's not always being the best. I usually find that most European and Asian AWD's yield similar packages in the US, and US ones another. Watch for mileage and insurance conditions especially (European AWD's tend to have more insurance and less miles, especially on nicer cars). There is a good AWD floating around on the Avis forum.

You also may have to argue for your upgrade, which BTW is only one category in the US. There is usually a ceiling at 'premium' on upgrades. Cross-shopping different AWD's may yield a better rate on a better car than a given AWD with a guaranteed upgrade.

Be careful not to end up in an Impala

[This message has been edited by monahos (edited 02-17-2002).]
Old Feb 18, 2002, 12:44 am
Suspended

If you still want to get the double upgrade, try to get a KL Royal Wing brochure, printed in 2000 !!

In this brochure, they have a remark for Avis and Royal Wings:
Royal Wings ouble Upgrade-Guaranteed.

Sometimes you have to fight for it, but I was able to get at least a two-class upgrade every time I rent/ or work out something nice, if a double upgrade was not available.
My Highlight was a 8 class upgrade at SEA for 3 bucks more a day.Chevy Metro-Cadillac DeVille !!

The AWD`s KLM quotes in their brochures are useless for German customers, way to expensive, very often no unlimited miles, no CDW included.

Call Avis and definately check their offers online, very often they have huge differences, I get better rates calling them.
Ask for the "Platinum" rate, normally the best rate from Germany, with everything important included !!
Ask the agent to put the remark: "Double Upgrade" in the "Bemerkungszeile" of the reservation, that should work out just fine !!

As quoted before, they reduced it to a regular upgrade in the US, but actually nobody knows or cares about it !!
Old Feb 19, 2002, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Thank you for all the information.

However, even with these AWDs, a rate from FTI Touristik for alamo for an intermediate car including all coverages and even a free tank of gas for EUR 64 was unbeatable.

No miles, i guess, but at least a good price, as I would have to pay an additional 10 USD at avis for being under 25 years old.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.