Community
Wiki Posts
Search

KLM A General Attitude And "Don't Care" Problem (?)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2006, 2:23 pm
GVA
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
KLM A General Attitude And "Don't Care" Problem (?)

Today I had three hours transit in Schiphol so did like a bunny and hopped between all lounges.

All lounge attendants were bitter, unfriendly and it seemed their main goal was to turn people away.

Not having a card was a problem at the first (41) who refused to let me in claiming I was "merely economy" until I pointed out gold elite plus to which she replied "must be an error in system". I told her to verify which she refused then asked for the manager who came along and let me in. I even had the printed out statement from AF with status, however she claimed I had tempered that also.

I asked for the temporary FB card to be done, that seemed like an effort for them also. Once that done, the writing was unreadable and I encountered the same problems at lounge 52, even though they were more pleasant and redid the temporary card in a readable manner.

Contrary to AF earlier that morning who simply used their computer powers to print out an invitation for me without any problem (did not show any card, lady simply used her computer).

Why do the KLM AMS drhaagons think that only business class tickets gain access (not even caring to look at the rest of the boarding pass), whereas Air France can do the job just as well and in a way more friendly way.
Old Jun 8, 2006, 2:29 pm
Suspended

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"
"This is not possible."

RTS
Old Jun 8, 2006, 2:42 pm

Programs: NetJets Marquis, Southwest Moo, Marriott Platinum
"iemand stront in hun ontbijtgraangewas"

Someone pooped in their Wheaties

"It is not possible."
Old Jun 8, 2006, 2:48 pm
GVA
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
Now the second set of problems encountered a few days ago at Heathrow:

-Go to checkin at the time was Silver. I ask for priority tag for baggage to be put on, I am told that benefit is not allowed. Having a print off of elite benefits with me at all times, I show this to chicken agent who emits a "grrr" and puts one on not excusing herself.
-I then asked for fasttrack, which was refused also (by some lowly supervisor) who claimed that this is only for Gold (when I had gotten this multiple times before), didn't really mind in the end as there wasn't a queue.

HOWEVER and here is my main anger at KLM.

I go to ticket desk and present fully flexible tickets with Air France. I did this after phoning "AF Le club" hotline who told me that AF and KL are obliged to be able to do each others ticketing.

The lady there, told me "We are KLM not Air France", I told her about what the club had told me. To which she said, "well why should I care." It then escalated to her saying "Just don't fly KLM then, we don't need you. Neither do Air France. So just P*** off."

Her supervisor was equally as complacent, and genuinely didn't care. I have about 60 flights right now booked on AF/KL, which for the most part are fully flexible.

I find it quite sad that a major station like LHR does not train its employees to proper customer relations standards (ie not insulting them!).
Old Jun 8, 2006, 3:05 pm
tlr

Programs: AF/KL Dark Grey, LH SEN
Originally Posted by GVA
Not having a card was a problem at the first (41) who refused to let me in claiming I was "merely economy" until I pointed out gold elite plus to which she replied "must be an error in system". I told her to verify which she refused then asked for the manager who came along and let me in. I even had the printed out statement from AF with status, however she claimed I had tempered that also.

I asked for the temporary FB card to be done, that seemed like an effort for them also. Once that done, the writing was unreadable and I encountered the same problems at lounge 52, even though they were more pleasant and redid the temporary card in a readable manner.
Seems to fit my general feeling that lounges 41 and 52 are going down the drain at this point. In particular, of course, when compared to the new Schengen lounge...
Old Jun 8, 2006, 3:06 pm
tlr

Programs: AF/KL Dark Grey, LH SEN
fast track for elites at LHR?

Originally Posted by GVA
-I then asked for fasttrack, which was refused also (by some lowly supervisor) who claimed that this is only for Gold (when I had gotten this multiple times before), didn't really mind in the end as there wasn't a queue.
Can anyone else elaborate on this one? Is there indeed a fast track through security available at Heathrow for Golds upward? How reliably is it granted?

(I've got that upcoming trip where I want to spend as little time as at all possible at that airport...)
Old Jun 8, 2006, 4:04 pm

Programs: FB Plat, SPG Plat, Meridien Moments Gold
Don't get me started on KL ground crew ...

I had an AMS-CDG-USA (somewhere) flight and while at the gate for the CDG flight (KL metal) there appeared to be a mechanical problem. With me wanting to make my connecting flight at CDG I asked to be put on the next AF flight (about an hour later). The lady at the gate told me to quit bothering her and go to the transfer desk (we were at the end of the B pier, so that's over 10 minutes each way), while the AF flight was going to leave at the adjacent gate. "Not possible sir!" (no apologies, not even when announcing the delay)

Gate agents at all airports are able to do just as much (I suspect even more) with regards to ticketing as transfer desk agents. So I reminded her politely that I was not a tranferring passenger, and she replied "no, but I am not going to do this for you".

I walked to the adjacent gate where I was indeed helped out.

I don't expect anyone at any airline to just do whatever I ask, certainly not. But the attitude some agents have just ticks me off.

Rant over.
Old Jun 8, 2006, 5:07 pm
GVA
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tlr
Can anyone else elaborate on this one? Is there indeed a fast track through security available at Heathrow for Golds upward? How reliably is it granted?

(I've got that upcoming trip where I want to spend as little time as at all possible at that airport...)
Depends on the agent. I have seen friendly ones and the real grumpy ones (second type more common at KLM LHR).

They normally conveniently "forget" it, but asking kindly will get it. If you are Gold (or they might make up 'rules' on the day)
Old Jun 9, 2006, 2:02 am

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M, BA Executive Club, Sofitel Plat, Priority Club, Starwood Preferred Guest
Originally Posted by tlr

I could be mistaken as I try to avoid LHR as much as possible.
As far as I know, the FastTrack is a service provided by the Airport at a fee and is intended for Business/First passengers, not Frequent Flyers in Economy.

You will notice that when you book business class (or Europe Select on KL), the airport tax at LHR are slightly higher than when you are in Economy.
If airlines therefore allow you to go through FastTrack with a Y-ticket, they are absorbing the additional cost because those invites are billed.

Not sure what the official KL policy is on this one.
Old Jun 9, 2006, 2:46 am

Originally Posted by jetfan
I could be mistaken as I try to avoid LHR as much as possible.
As far as I know, the FastTrack is a service provided by the Airport at a fee and is intended for Business/First passengers, not Frequent Flyers in Economy.
KLM frequent flyers were always given Fast Track stickers at STN back in the good old days. STN is run by BAA (i.e., the same company that runs LHR), so I would suspect that arrangements would be the same for both airports.

However, this was nearly four years ago (KLM pulled out of STN in October 2002) so things may well have changed in the meantime.
Old Jun 9, 2006, 3:30 am

Programs: FB-Gold, SPG-Plat, Priority Club-Plat
Originally Posted by Maurits
I had an AMS-CDG-USA (somewhere) flight and while at the gate for the CDG flight (KL metal) there appeared to be a mechanical problem. With me wanting to make my connecting flight at CDG I asked to be put on the next AF flight (about an hour later). The lady at the gate told me to quit bothering her and go to the transfer desk (we were at the end of the B pier, so that's over 10 minutes each way), while the AF flight was going to leave at the adjacent gate. "Not possible sir!" (no apologies, not even when announcing the delay)

Gate agents at all airports are able to do just as much (I suspect even more) with regards to ticketing as transfer desk agents. So I reminded her politely that I was not a tranferring passenger, and she replied "no, but I am not going to do this for you".
Wow, you're a Plat and got this kind of treatment...they have really sunk to a new low no?
Old Jun 9, 2006, 12:21 pm

Programs: KL SE, HH Gold VIP
Originally Posted by tlr

As a Silver I have been given Fast-Track each time I fly LHR on Y (last time in March of this year) without even asking...
Old Jun 9, 2006, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, QF Plat, VA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Coles FlyBuys
Originally Posted by Aviatrix
KLM frequent flyers were always given Fast Track stickers at STN back in the good old days. STN is run by BAA (i.e., the same company that runs LHR), so I would suspect that arrangements would be the same for both airports.

However, this was nearly four years ago (KLM pulled out of STN in October 2002) so things may well have changed in the meantime.
Wow, remember KL at STN? <getting all misty eyed> Would love to get that UK hub back, could do w/ the extra miles!
Old Jun 10, 2006, 7:19 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Plat, ICH Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Aviatrix
AFAIK KLM has an agreement with BAA that allows use of fast track by elite pax travelling in economy (Silver included). Unlike BA which specifically only allows C/F pax to go through there.
Old Jun 10, 2006, 10:04 am

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M, BA Executive Club, Sofitel Plat, Priority Club, Starwood Preferred Guest
Originally Posted by frankvb
AFAIK KLM has an agreement with BAA that allows use of fast track by elite pax travelling in economy (Silver included). Unlike BA which specifically only allows C/F pax to go through there.
If that is indeed the case then KL does a good job as F/C pax already pay for this service by means of higher airport tax at LHR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.