Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue > KLM Flying Dutchman
Reload this Page >

KLM Highlights - Advertised Take Off Fares which Don't Exist - Let us Bait&Switch You

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

KLM Highlights - Advertised Take Off Fares which Don't Exist - Let us Bait&Switch You

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2006, 11:37 am
Original Poster

First KLM "simplified" the fare structure to offer us "everyday, low pricing" via the Take Off Fares instead of promotional pricing. Just book early to get the best price as we are swearing off last minute sales....

Then falling demand and analyst-addicted load factor targets indicated that old-fashioned soldes are still needed to fill the planes. So, KLM Highlights newsletters are sent out advertising lower Take Off Fares.

Yet, if you try to book these sale fares, the web site and the call center know nothing about them. So, not only can you not book a seemingly low fare and then be surprised by both real taxes as well as KLM-fabricated, bogus markups which are masquerading as taxes, but you cannot book the advertised fare at all: it does not exist.

Call center personnel see the problem and promise to "contact KLM (?)" and call back.

Still waiting...

Perhaps KLM needs help from the regulatory authorities to discover again how to compete honestly ?
Old Mar 21, 2006, 1:03 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Plat, ICH Plat, HH Gold
If you are sure about this, send in a complaint to the ASA (if you are UK-based).

My experience in a similar case (USA promo for which I couldn't find the promised fare on-line after lots of tries) was that KLM produced a webpage with the promised fare, even though I was sure it was impossible to get that.....
Old Mar 21, 2006, 5:59 pm
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
If you are UK based send an email to this:

[email protected]

They are a nice bunch of people and do their job well.
Old Mar 22, 2006, 4:51 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Vietnam Airlines Lotusmiles Platinum
Uk Asa

I complained last year to the ASA on this matter, and they completely misunderstood my point.

I got a very prompt response concerning how availability of fares can change, and no lonfer be available !

I was so cross - but I just gave up !
Old Mar 22, 2006, 6:55 am
Original Poster

I am located in the Netherlands which is not exactly famous for customer service, let alone consumer protection.

I have arrived at the point that I believe a formal complaint to whatever regulatory authorities apply is in order.

Anyone with suggestions on where to turn in the Netherlands?
Old Mar 22, 2006, 7:06 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Plat, ICH Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Cris L
I complained last year to the ASA on this matter, and they completely misunderstood my point.
You have to take care to exactly (and in much detail) what you are trying to complain about. I think I started my complaint by stating that I knew that availability of fares could dissapear, and then continued by stating that I had checked most of the dates for the promo and was unable to find the fare once. That made them understand... But maybe it just depends on if the person dealing with the complaint has seen something similar before.
Old Mar 22, 2006, 7:11 am
Original Poster

This situation is rather clear cut in that the rates are listed in the KLM promotional email, but have not even been loaded into the booking engine.

When I called back about this they admitted the anamoly and said that it would be reported to the person in charge who would get back to them in 2-3 days. However, I should not expect anything and should be aware of the KLM terms and conditions which state that they cannot be held responsible for any errors they might make ?!?
Old Mar 23, 2006, 7:15 am
Suspended

Long Live KLM,

you are a fairly new member, so your post is a little bit surprising.

Actually the fact that KLM did not upload fares in time or that emails arrive when the fares are already gone is a standard KLM procedure and feature, maybe even perk of having your email registered with KLM reminding of my favourite KLM online line...

...an error has occured...

Literally hundreds of posts and complaints on this topic in the past, if you like to be entertained do a search and some posts will appear...

Without any doubt, KLM`s online services are leading the industry from the bottom and with Air France they have found a congenial partner...
Old Mar 23, 2006, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Threy, although I am not sure of why my being a newish member makes my comments surprising, I can often appreciate your sustained taunting of our beloved combined airline. Based on a quick review of your posts, I also realize that you are not only a sideline anti-cheerleader but put yourself out as a real expert on the airline industry.

Could you provide some real content to this thread and share your expertise with us on this one and let us all know to which (Dutch/European/other) regulatory agency we can lodge complaints of deception in advertising and unfair competitive practices?

Thanks!
Old Mar 23, 2006, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by Klm is Dead - Long Live KLM
Anyone with suggestions on where to turn in the Netherlands?
Stuff seems to be very scattered over there, and there's considerations at the political level to create a central organization.

Perhaps at this point, the most general place to go is:
http://www.reclamecode.nl/indexengels.html

Not that I have any experience. Just what I can think of.
Old Mar 24, 2006, 4:46 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Klm is Dead - Long Live KLM

Could you provide some real content to this thread and share your expertise with us on this one and let us all know to which (Dutch/European/other) regulatory agency we can lodge complaints of deception in advertising and unfair competitive practices?

Thanks!
Inspectie Verkeer and Waterstaat

Postbus 575

NL 2130 An Hofddorp

[email protected]

I don`t know, if they can help you, but as pointed out earlier, it is standard KLM.

We discussed it numerous times and at some point, you simply have enough of it and realise that they simply are not able to create a working website, they will send out mails with promos that do not exist or are already gone and it will not change, especially with AF in the boat now, a bunch of folks equally incompetent...underlined by the bare fact that you cannot book on their German website less than 72 hours before departure or the fact that the award booking website shows available flights that are not available anymore one step later ( try any CSA or CO flight )
Old Mar 26, 2006, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by Threy
. . . they will send out mails with promos that do not exist or are already gone and it will not change, especially with AF in the boat now, a bunch of folks equally incompetent . . .
Earlier this week I received a promotional e-mail from KLM entitled, "Double Miles, promotions and a chance to win 100,000 Miles".

There was nothing in the e-mail about double miles, or a chance to win 100,000 miles. The only "promotions" I could see were a bunch of the mythical "Take Off Fares".

Don't they even try to be competent?
Old Sep 2, 2006, 4:35 am

Programs: liyfrsdjm
Thumbs down Try to be competent? uh?

Originally Posted by Counsellor
Earlier this week I received a promotional e-mail from KLM entitled, "Double Miles, promotions and a chance to win 100,000 Miles".

There was nothing in the e-mail about double miles, or a chance to win 100,000 miles. The only "promotions" I could see were a bunch of the mythical "Take Off Fares".

Don't they even try to be competent?

NO

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.