Wiki Posts
Search

KL to Chengdu from May 28

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2006, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

KL to Chengdu from May 28

"AMSTELVEEN, January 24, 2006 – KLM Royal Dutch Airlines will launch scheduled service between Amsterdam and Chengdu in central China effective May 28, 2006. The new roundtrip flight will operate twice weekly using a Boeing 777-200ER. The service is in cooperation with partner China Southern.

In addition to flights to Beijing, Shanghai and Hong Kong, KLM will offer its customers a fourth direct destination in the rapidly expanding Chinese market, bringing the total to 23 weekly passenger services. Chengdu is the capital of Sichuan Province. Together with neighboring Chongqing Province, it is home to some 120 million residents. Chengdu has by far the largest international airport in this part of China.

KLM’s new service provides this region with its first direct connection to Europe. At Chengdu passengers will be able to connect with flights to other destinations in China.

KLM Cargo will be able to ship more than 15 tons of cargo on board the Boeing 777 flights to and from Chengdu.

“KLM views China as one of its most important growth markets,” said KLM deputy CEO Peter Hartman. “With the introduction of this new service we are matching words with deeds to connect this fascinating region of China to Europe and, via Schiphol, with the rest of the world.”

Capacity for this new scheduled service will become available once the thirteenth new Boeing 777 joins the KLM fleet in May.

Effective May 28, 2006, flight KL 891 will depart from Schiphol on Wednesdays and Sundays at 20:40 hours, arriving in Chengdu at 12:30 hours the next day. The return flight, KL 892 will then depart on Thursdays and Mondays at 14:00 hours, arriving in Amsterdam the same day at 18:45 hours."

Source KLM

Johan
Old Jan 24, 2006, 7:19 pm

Programs: EY Plat, IHG Plat Amb
Well, the new international wing of the airport is ready, so the place is now up to standard. Chengdu is the 'gateway to the west' of China, like Lhasa.
If you like spice food, Sishuan province is a must! Hotpot is the local favourite dish.
Old Jan 25, 2006, 2:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
This looks cool! I've been wanting to take a week or two to explore the western mountains. This will make it easier to get there.
Old Jan 25, 2006, 2:40 am

Programs: FB Plat for life
There is also the daily flight to CAN on AF + codeshare with CZ. Conection to Chengdu are rather easy once you are in CAN.
But it is definitly a good news lets hope that they will be enough traffic in the future to increase the frequence.
Old Jan 25, 2006, 3:48 am
Suspended

The bird will be packed with belly cargo and considering the 90 minute turnaround in Chengdu, I can already see lots of folks missing connections after desperately trying to catch the last bank of flights out of Schiphol after arriving there at 18.45 !
Old Jan 25, 2006, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Given the turnaround time, it will be interesting to see how clean an aircraft pax out of Chengdu will enjoy. If KL591/592's 1h55 turnaround in JNB is anything to go by, the answer is not very.

Johan
Old Jan 25, 2006, 2:23 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, Krisflyer Gold, Die-hard Saint's fan !
Good News

Definitively a good news ! I had the chance to visit this place, I will never forget ! Chengdu airport is quite nice, very modern, I had tons of tales to tell about me in this airport. One day, i'll be writing a trip report...
Old Jan 25, 2006, 2:30 pm

Programs: Air France Platinum - Qatar Airways Gold
Originally Posted by miles4all
Hotpot is the local favourite dish.
Originally Posted by Serpentos
I had the chance to visit this place, I will never forget !
Neither will my digestive system forget his hotpot experience... Guy Martin, where were you?
Old Jan 25, 2006, 10:26 pm

Programs: EY Plat, IHG Plat Amb
It is most certainly not something one is prepared for before one has had one. I had several tries in other parts of China, but that doesnt even come close.
It is something for the graduats among the spice lovers.

Even the best and hottest Tom Yam soup, northern Thai style is beaten hand down!
Old Feb 27, 2006, 11:52 pm

Wow that's quite an interesting route!
Old Mar 3, 2006, 5:05 am

Wow! China really is going somewhere... I am guessing that this is Chengdu's first intercontinental flight?
Old Mar 5, 2006, 6:55 am

Programs: UA DELTA KLM HH Gold
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by makin'miles
Wow! China really is going somewhere... I am guessing that this is Chengdu's first intercontinental flight?
Probably so, well done KLM scouts! ^
Old Mar 5, 2006, 11:33 am

Programs: KLM FB plat / Hertz Pres Circle / AB EB Gold
Hopefully they will start a direct route ams-Shenzhen (szx) as well.
That will save a me a lot of time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.