Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best WBC seats on KL

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2005, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Best WBC seats on KL

I am positive I've read several threads on this when it was just the KLM forum, but I haven't found any opinions about seats when searching "74M" and also "best seat".
I'm interested in either being led to the thread(s) about this, or if you could help with your opinions, that'd be great.
I have flown in the nose and on the upper deck. I seem to remember someone telling me that the nose has better service because there is the same number of FAs attending to fewer pax than on the Upper Deck. True? Otherwise, I've sat in 1A and 4F, and both were ok, though 1A seems kinda tight when you don't know the person next to you, and 4F had quite a bit of traffic to the galley and restrooms. Still, it was ok. As for the Upper Deck, I've sat in bulkhead and also 77A, but that was years ago.
Thanks for the help!
Old Nov 4, 2005, 9:32 pm

Programs: DL/UA/AA/BA
I've sat all over tje 74M - IMO, stick with the front two rows - quietest and best service.
Old Nov 5, 2005, 5:08 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)

Shall we make a sticky with the best seats on AF & KLM?

Gajan
Old Nov 5, 2005, 6:01 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, LH Senator, VA Velocity Platinum, Marriott Silver, Hilton Diamond
I flew KL 74M from MEX-AMS in late August in WBC. I was in 2A. Definitely, you want the front cabin and not upstairs. Maybe row 1 would not be my first choice. Yes, you do have a bunch of privacy as there is no one in front of you, but the closet is directly in front of you and people are often getting up in the middle of an 11 hour flight and getting items from their cabin luggage. Row 2 was great as would row 3. The last row in the front cabin would not be good unless you were on the AB side. The lavs are located behind the right side seats, so people walking by the entire time to take care of business. Service is better on the front cabin as there is one dedicated flight attendant for the entire flight, plus a helper fa that rotated throughout. KL has awful amenity kits compared to NW WBC, but NW is nothing to write home to mom about. I arrived in AMS well-rested, comfortable, well-fed, and pampered.
Old Nov 5, 2005, 6:49 am

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue, SK Eurobonus, TG ROP, BA EC, QR Privilege Club, SQ Krisflyer
77A and B on the upper deck have endless space in front.
Old Nov 5, 2005, 8:09 am
Suspended

Always go for the Upper Deck, so much quieter.

While some guys prefer the exit row, I always go for row 80 with absolutely no traffic passing by, cause KLM was smart enough to have the two lavs right behind the cockpit door.

Some crews begin serving from the galley as well , so you are also served first.
Old Nov 5, 2005, 8:23 am

Programs: AC Elite (waddya mean it's expired?), HHonours Gold, bunch of other stuff
It's been years since I flew a KLM 747 in business class, but I always tried for the exit row (row 77?) upstairs. more open room in from than you'd really need due to the exit. Pick the window seat on either side as there's a handy little shelf at your elbow due to the curvature of the aircraft. If I recall there may even be a little storage compartment under there as well. Quietest place you'll ever find on an airplane.

Failing that, row 2 or three in the nose, where the curved perspective gives the window seats a better view of what's up front. Also extremely quiet except when the landing gear is in transit.
Old Nov 6, 2005, 5:03 am

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Gajan
Shall we make a sticky with the best seats on AF & KLM?

Gajan
A very good idea. Or perhaps a KLM sticky as there is already one for AF.
Old Nov 6, 2005, 6:27 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Done !
Old Nov 7, 2005, 4:37 am

Programs: FB Plat, SPG Plat, Meridien Moments Gold
Because this thread has become sticky (thanks YOUY31) concerning all WBC seats, here is my preference for most KL ICA a/c:

B74M & B744 - 77AB
I personally like to sit on the upper deck because of it's private feel. It's like you're in a 737 with an all-business class config Row 77 has the most legroom on the plane.

B777 - None
Frankly, I can't seem to find any seat on this aircraft that is considerably better than the other seats. All seats have different disadvantages (middle seats, noise from galleys) etc.

A330 - 7AB & HJ for daytime flights and 1AB for overnight flights
Because the A330 is a more silent aircraft, I have noticed that when flying eastbound over the pond the economy cabin can get quite noisy (those IFEs are keeping everyone awake I guess ) so avoid the last row if you want some peace and quiet. During daytime flights I find seats 7AB&HJ excellent as you are not in the vicinity of lavatories or storage closets.

MD11 - Rows 1 and 2
The forward WBC cabin on the MD11 is excellent, and I am glad that KL decided to use these wonderful planes a little while longer (up until 2012 I seem to recall).

Kind regards,
Maurits
Old Nov 7, 2005, 11:41 am

Programs: AC Elite (waddya mean it's expired?), HHonours Gold, bunch of other stuff
Originally Posted by Maurits
It's like you're in a 737 with an all-business class config Row 77 has the most legroom on the plane.
How DARE you compare a 747 with a lowly 737!!

I'm shocked. SHOCKED I say!!
Old Nov 7, 2005, 6:09 pm
R
formerly PrePress420

Wbc 767

KLM 606 SFO-AMS was changed to 767.
Now I have 3G. Had 2J on MD11 (both window seats)
How are 767's ?
Old Nov 8, 2005, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

777 : an aircraft I try to avoid. Should I have no alternative, I would go for row 3. This puts you midway between the two galleys, hence farthest away from the smell and the noise. Since it is anybody's guess whether the FA's will serve from front to back or vice versa, row three at least guarantees you won't be served last. It goes without saying that the infamous middle seat should be avoided.

MD11 : Row 1 or 2. Best WBC seats in the KL fleet by far. Just got off a flight from JRO and DAR, so I can confirm this from very recent experience. The only minor downside is the lack of overhead storage space in the forward C cabin. The acres of space compensate for that, though. Pitch must be over 70"!

744/74M : 4F and 4E. Both seats have aisle access, so nobody will ever have to clamber over you. There is storage space for any number of carry-ons right behind the seats, within easy reach. No getting up to rummage in overhead bins. The magazine rack is in front of you, on top of which you can place your meal tray if you don't want to wait for the FA to come around and collect it. No seats in front, so no reclining seatbacks.

Second choice would be emergency exit row window seats 77A and 77K. I prefer window to aisle because of the handy windowsill storage compartments.

Johan
Old Nov 12, 2005, 6:37 am

Programs: Flying Blue Ivory (never use it), CoOnepass, DeltaSkymiles, AAdvantage
the 767's are not the best but still survivable
iwould go to row 3 or 4 because of the same reason johan rebel posted bout the 777
Old Nov 12, 2005, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, QF Plat, VA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Coles FlyBuys
74M: My personal favourite... Row 1. Lots of space, four windows to yourself, nearly forward view due to aircraft curvature, enough room to get up and around your seatmate if he's reclined, and no one walking past. If not Row 1, then 77AK for the unlimited legroom, NEVER 77BJ again. No place to put anything. I do like the side bins on the upper deck, but you need to be at a window to take advantage. Also, upper deck visibility is poor due to angled fuselage walls, hard to see down IMHO. And only one window at Row 77 which you have to crane your neck to see out of

MD11: Like anyone else, ANYTHING in Row 1 or 2. Haven't flown MD11 forever, I never seem to have the opportunity anymore.

767: Much maligned aircraft, but not as bad as people generally say. I like 1AB and 2FG (even though there is some galley noise) because you're secluded and not pax traffic in front of you. In these seats I feel like I'm in my own little cabin.

777/332: Never flown.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.