Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue > KLM Flying Dutchman
Reload this Page >

Don't dare try to access the Schengen lounge at AMS as PE with 2 kids

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Don't dare try to access the Schengen lounge at AMS as PE with 2 kids

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2005, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Maurits
So... that was YOU all along?

Touchy subject. Personally I think (and many with me) that a parent's behavior is projected on their children. Rude, loud, or obnoxious children tend to have parents with those same properties. I always wondered what the trade-offs would be to create some sort of "silent" room inside a lounge.
Never seen it before...
You don't find too many children inside the fancy new smoking room at the Schenegen AMS Crown lounge...if their parents look like they might bring them in you just have everyone blow smoke towards the door at the same time- usually scares them away....
Old Aug 17, 2005, 8:45 am

Programs: FB Plat, SPG Plat, Meridien Moments Gold
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
You don't find too many children inside the fancy new smoking room at the Schenegen AMS Crown lounge...if their parents look like they might bring them in you just have everyone blow smoke towards the door at the same time- usually scares them away....

Kind regards,
Maurits
Old Aug 17, 2005, 10:25 am

Noisy, obnoxious parents = noisy, obnoxious kids.

There's an old saying that I often use: "The fruit doesn't fall far from the tree."
Old Aug 17, 2005, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Perhaps that fancy circular TV room in the Schengen lounge could be declared an exclusive kids area? I walked around the empty TV room the other day and tried out various seats. No matter which one I picked, I could always hear the sound from three of the four TVs. An interesting concept! No wonder it was empty.

Johan
Old Aug 17, 2005, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA Plat (2MM), AS MVPG, DL DM, HH Dia(life), Hyatt Dia, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by hegira
Even "funnier" was in 2000, when a 130-kg therapeutic pig in First Class became agitated on approach to Seattle and wreaked havoc... Not sure if kids were involved, and don't know if the hog was admitted to the US Airways lounge prior to boarding.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/995503.stm
http://archives.cnn.com/2000/US/10/27/when.pigs.fly.ap/

BTW, as you can see, I am being fair and balanced : there are other airlines up there with AF.

I've unfortunately flown with some unruly pigs in first class as well...albeit the two legged variety....
Old Aug 17, 2005, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Centurion - BA Silver - IHG Diamond Elite - HHonors Diamond - M&M
Originally Posted by johan rebel
Perhaps that fancy circular TV room in the Schengen lounge could be declared an exclusive kids area?
I wouldn't know Johan, never seen this as they would not let me in.

Will have to have a look at the revised lounge next Wednesday.
Old Aug 17, 2005, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by johan rebel
An interesting concept! No wonder it was empty.
True. Even though it's a nice touch, I never sit there, also because the tables at the seats are too small for the trays, and I already had an "incident" with a glass or red wine (oops... sorry.... ). Not too good for my good reputation among the lounge dragons...

It surprises me though that I have never seen a "no-kids" zone before in any lounge... has it never come to mind to a lounge-designer? Maybe I'm missing out on something?

Kind regards,
Maurits

Last edited by Maurits; Aug 17, 2005 at 2:22 pm Reason: smiley problem
Old Aug 17, 2005, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Centurion - BA Silver - IHG Diamond Elite - HHonors Diamond - M&M
It surprises me though that I have never seen a "no-kids" zone before in any lounge... has it never come to mind to a lounge-designer?
It is strange, if you look at SAS's lounge in LHR in contrast they have a special kids zone/play area. I know this is the other way round but it shows that it has been taken into account by the designers.

Last edited by pmcg; Aug 17, 2005 at 2:53 pm
Old Aug 17, 2005, 4:35 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by Froggee
It may be a coincidence but invariably the people with the annoying kids are the most demanding and annoying themselves.
Very true and very seldom is it a coincidence.
Old Aug 17, 2005, 4:49 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
It surprises me though that I have never seen a "no-kids" zone before in any lounge... has it never come to mind to a lounge-designer? Maybe I'm missing out on something?
BD's two-tier lounge system (business lounge vs Diamond Club lounge) has this feature - the Diamond Club lounges are over-18s only, supposedly because they feature free-pour spirits.

But I still think having kids' play areas is a far more customer-friendly approach. Mind you, I wonder at the logic of the designer who put the 'Toybox' area next to the 'Sanctuary' area at the LGW BA lounge...
Old Aug 18, 2005, 1:42 am

Stut, I think you're right. However, maybe a no children zone can be made implicitly by introducing "silent rooms"? This could then also eliminate loud adults...
Old Aug 18, 2005, 6:09 am
Suspended

Programs: ANA PLAT,CI GOLD,LH SEN,Hyatt Gold.
Stut, I think you're right. However, maybe a no children zone can be made implicitly by introducing "silent rooms"? This could then also eliminate loud adults...
Or maybe they can have an American, Italian and other mobile phone users section.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.