Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue > KLM Flying Dutchman
Reload this Page >

Don't dare try to access the Schengen lounge at AMS as PE with 2 kids

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Don't dare try to access the Schengen lounge at AMS as PE with 2 kids

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2005, 9:26 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Vietnam Airlines Lotusmiles Platinum
Originally Posted by alanw
Ugh. This nightmare is still fresh in my mind.

Wednesday I walked into the AF lounge in BCN ahead of my DL flight to SEA. Within moments, a family came in with two small children, maybe 5 and 7 years old (this is in addition to the large american family in sweats and flip-flops, including one teenage boy with his shoes off asleep on the floor in front of the magazines). These kids were well-educated (perfect English and Catalan) obviously from a private school. But they were LOUD. They SHOUTED everything. For 25 minutes we sat and listened, from the other end of the lounge, to these little ****s carried on talking, squealing, laughing. I realize they're kids, but take it outside.

It was a relief to hear the flight called. When I arrived at my seat, who was right next to me in a completely full C cabin but those same little twits. Throughout the flight the mother kept refilling them with Coke and sweets and they kept up the racket the entire flight.

When we got to the lounge in ATL, they were there, at the next bloody table.

When we got on the flight to SEA, they were there, in the two seats next to me. And they never shut up, not once.

When I run an airline, the kids are going into cages in the hold.
Originally Posted by PJK
Are you sure the kids were not yours?
twits - no, definitely not alanw's
twinks - well, maybe alanw's
Old Aug 12, 2005, 10:26 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Gold
I prefer loud obnoxious adults to kids as I have no problem being rude to adults. However I see no reason why you should be allowed two kids when the rules say one guest.

If I travel with my parents should both of them be allowed in the lounge? The fact is that they are a lot less likely to annoy other passengers unless people find my mother drinking tea and my father doing the crossword annoying.

I fail to see the difference except for the fact that my parents would be paying full fare and the kids wouldn't.

It may be a coincidence but invariably the people with the annoying kids are the most demanding and annoying themselves.
Old Aug 12, 2005, 12:26 pm

Programs: Air France Platinum - Qatar Airways Gold
Originally Posted by simonsmith
On several occasions when I have heard enough about company secrets or other such I have politely asked someone to turn the volume down.
One funny thing to do, when they're done with their call, is to make a (noisy) dummy call with your own mobile, repeating more or less what they've just said: "Yes, they've submitted a new offer! They've proposed a 12% rebate! But because of their quality issues on the batteries/packaging/painting they're going to work with a new chinese supplier..."
Old Aug 12, 2005, 4:05 pm

When pigs fly

Originally Posted by Emma65
... a cat had gotten out of it's cage. Managed to get in to the cockpit and clawed the pilots.
/E
Even "funnier" was in 2000, when a 130-kg therapeutic pig in First Class became agitated on approach to Seattle and wreaked havoc... Not sure if kids were involved, and don't know if the hog was admitted to the US Airways lounge prior to boarding.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/995503.stm
http://archives.cnn.com/2000/US/10/27/when.pigs.fly.ap/

BTW, as you can see, I am being fair and balanced : there are other airlines up there with AF.
Old Aug 12, 2005, 8:14 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines, CO Emeritus, United kettle, Ural Airlines Wings, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by Jerene
They are not shouting, they are just talking in a normal American conversational voice. Which is why you get the puzzled look when you complain.
Most obnoxious guy I ever saw was a british footballer completely drunk on a KLM flight to the states. He was slobbering on himself and yelling, while his english buddies were laughing at the FA trying to control him.

Luckily I had been to England and knew that all Brits were not total asses.
Old Aug 13, 2005, 7:33 am

It would depend on the age of your kids - if they are small they should let you take them in as you do not ahve the option to leave one of them outside. If they are older or adults (e.g. parents) one person can easily do their own thing for the time you use the lounge so that is a weak comparisson. I would think it is good customer service/the decent thing to do - to let a parent with 2 small children in.
Old Aug 13, 2005, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Centurion - BA Silver - IHG Diamond Elite - HHonors Diamond - M&M
Originally Posted by Froggee
However I see no reason why you should be allowed two kids when the rules say one guest.
Correct, however my main point was the way that the lounge dragon proclaimed. "You cannot buy a lounge voucher and are only allowed one guest, these are the new rules set by Air France".

Now good customer service would have been to apologise and explain that there are new polocies that only allow a PE to have one guest and also apologise that new policies do not allow the purchase of lounge vouchers. No need to mention (blame) AF in any way.

I fail to see the difference except for the fact that my parents would be paying full fare and the kids wouldn't.
Not exactly true, for KLM.com a child is 2-11 years. Also the only difference in pricing on the lower fares at KLM.com is a slightly lower "tax" charge.
A kid at 11 travelling on a C class fare can't access KLM's own lounge at Glasgow or the Servisair lounge at Edinburgh. Now is that fair?

It may be a coincidence but invariably the people with the annoying kids are the most demanding and annoying themselves.
Agree about the "annoying kids" but as we can see by other comments in this thread a lot of the time it is adults that are the right pains in the asses.

Last edited by pmcg; Aug 13, 2005 at 8:43 am
Old Aug 13, 2005, 9:10 am

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by Cris L
twits - no, definitely not alanw's
twinks - well, maybe alanw's
ROTFLU
Old Aug 13, 2005, 9:19 am
ewj

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG PLAT, NWA Plat
Originally Posted by pmcg
First thing I asked was if "I could buy a lounge voucher for the second kid as I knew that as PE I was only allowed access with 1 guest". OK I knew I could not buy a voucher anymore but it is new news and I thought that the agent may be flexible since it was a small child and after all I am "Elite Plus" with this airline.
Why do people with kids feel they deserve special (flexible) treatment and people who do not give it are somehow being mean spirited. Shame on the parents. Shame - Shame.
Old Aug 13, 2005, 9:42 am

Two comments:

1. Some airlines (United for one) allow an elite, or a member of their airline club, to bring in a specified number of guests (usually one, sometimes two) or their accompanying family members, even if more than the authorized number of guests. They realize that asking a passenger to leave his family at the door is rude (and basically unworkable if children are involved) while effectively denying access to their elite if (s)he is flying with family is not going to gain them any good-will points. Too bad FB hasn't figured this out.

2. The out-of-control kids problem seems mainly limited (in my experience) to Americans and Koreans. As to the Americans, I put it down to a guy named Spock (no relation to the one with the ears) who has persuaded most of a whole generation of American parents that they're going to irrevocably impair their little darling's psyche if they don't allow the kid to run wild. Other cultures put a higher premium on civilizing their children and teaching them responsibility and consideration of others. (I'm not sure what causes it with the Koreans, but it seems to mainly affect the boys, not the girls, so maybe a cultural attitude toward male children has something to do with it?)

At least, that has been my observation.
Old Aug 13, 2005, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Centurion - BA Silver - IHG Diamond Elite - HHonors Diamond - M&M
Originally Posted by ewj
Why do people with kids feel they deserve special (flexible) treatment and people who do not give it are somehow being mean spirited. Shame on the parents. Shame - Shame.
Not "all people with kids". I for one asked politely, was snapped at by an agent who blamed AF for the new policies and I moved on.

I posted this thread to point out the way the agent responded, not because I did not get any "special treatment".
Old Aug 13, 2005, 10:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Gold
Apologies to pmcg - I wasn't having a go.

My father was a strong believe that there should be a separate section of planes, lounges etc for smokers, children, japanese etc - basically everybody that wasn't him.

I always search out "quiet areas" when I can and invariably find that people with mobile phones do as well. it makes it easier for them to carry out their conversation. Typically on pointing out one of the several NO MOBILE TELEPHONES signs they act surprised that someone would dare complain.

One time this happened in the TV area of some random lounge in the states (Northwest at Minneapolis maybe) and the guy huffed and puffed and every time he made (or received) a call he got up and stood at the entrance to the area so he could still see the TV and I could still hear his every word.

Needless to say (being British) I did nothing further.
Old Aug 14, 2005, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by ewj
Maybe "special treatment" is called "good manners" in some cultures?
Old Aug 14, 2005, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Counsellor
Some airlines (United for one) allow an elite, or a member of their airline club, to bring in a specified number of guests (usually one, sometimes two) or their accompanying family members, even if more than the authorized number of guests.
Back in the good old FD days, this used to be the (unofficial) policy at the AMS Crown Lounges. My sister and her kid were always admitted on the strength of my brother-in-law's PE card. As far as I know they haven't traveled through AMS together this summer, so no experience with the new regime.

Originally Posted by pmcg
an agent who blamed AF for the new policies
Blaming AF seems to be very popular with KL (lounge) agents these days. A convenient scapegoat, genuine exasperation or resentment at having to take orders from Paris?

Johan
Old Aug 15, 2005, 6:17 am

Programs: FB Plat, SPG Plat, Meridien Moments Gold
Originally Posted by Falco Peregrinus
One funny thing to do, when they're done with their call, is to make a (noisy) dummy call with your own mobile, repeating more or less what they've just said
So... that was YOU all along?

Touchy subject. Personally I think (and many with me) that a parent's behavior is projected on their children. Rude, loud, or obnoxious children tend to have parents with those same properties. I always wondered what the trade-offs would be to create some sort of "silent" room inside a lounge.
Never seen it before...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.