Wiki Posts
Search

Pilot Aborts Landing at EWK on Wednesday

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2005, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: World Perks
Pilot Aborts Landing at EWK on Wednesday

Flew AMS-EWK on Wednesday. There were high winds at EWK on approach and we we were floating and diving and drifting side to side.... nothing extraordianary, just more uncomfortable than anything.

Well, the wheels touchdown brielfly and the pilot guns the throttles, the engines wind-up and we takeoff again. Circled around and landed about 25 minutes later with no further incident.

Needless to say, a few tense minutes... hope it never happens to me again.
Old Mar 3, 2005, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by BOTLY
Needless to say, a few tense minutes... hope it never happens to me again.
Why?

As my flying instructor used to say: "If in doubt go around".

A go-round is a standard manoeuvre and perfectly safe.

What would you rather have - a pilot who realises that he will not be able to make a safe landing, and initiates a go-round... or one who tries to get it down at all cost in order to save his pride and his company's money?

It was a pilot of the latter type (on a European LCC) that gave me one of my tensest moments...
Old Mar 3, 2005, 10:28 pm

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
We also had to do a go-around in ATL in December last year due to a obstructed runway - it is indeed an intense feeling, especially being on a more or less empty 767 that has enough power to go off like hell.

But other than that as mentioned it is a perfectly safe manouver that I have have experienced three times already, and it is nothing to get worried about.

Greetings - Dirk
Old Mar 4, 2005, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

presumably EWR (Newark Liberty International Airport) rather than EWK (Newton City/County airport)?
Old Mar 4, 2005, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by BOTLY
Well, the wheels touchdown brielfly and the pilot guns the throttles, the engines wind-up and we takeoff again.
The way I read this, it sounds like a touch-and-go, rather than a go-around, which I would think is highly unusual. I would not think a go-around decision below decision height is considered safe by definition... Sounds like something really funny was happening on that runway, and the captain considered this the best of options.
Old Mar 4, 2005, 11:18 am

A touch and go is generally defined as a successful landing immediately followed by a take-off. If you abort your landing it's a go-round in my book even if your wheels briefly touch the ground.

Decision height is the height at which you MUST initiate a go-round if you can't see the runway.There is nothing unsafe about initiating a go-round below decision height.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.